Pocketbike Forum banner

how does gearing/ sprockets work?

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  X1racer_va 
#1 ·
How do sprockets work?
Does a bigger sprocket in the back give u top speed or acceleration?
Does a smaller sprocket in the front give u top speed or accerleration?

#4 ·
No, actually its the complete opposite. Bigger rear sprocket better acceleration, smaller rear sprocket better top speed. Small front pinion better acceleration, larger front pinion better top speed.

Please do the research before you answer someones question, it just makes you look like an idiot and it feeds noobs with the wrong info.

#9 ·
what size is your front pinion? count the teeth on it and see.Its easier to change the front pinion gear because you won`t have to worry about messing with the chain size.plus just buying a new pinion/clutch bell combo will be cheaper than a rear sprocket and chain.

#10 ·
I wrote that the big rear sprocket gives better acceleration and a small rear sprocket gives top speed and edited my post when I realized someoen else had posted. Sorry I was doing something and should have left it alone rather then assume the post sbove me was correct and agree. Yes X1racer va it will accelerate quicker. Darn caffine

#11 ·
my front sprocket is the stock one. I think it has 14 teeth. I have only found bigger front sprockets for better top speed. I found a 20 tooth front sprock that said it would make my bikes top speed 40% faster but much less acceleration. Where can i buy a smaller front sprocket for faster acceleration?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.