Pocketbike Forum banner

Pocket Bikes: Street Legal Or Not?

108K views 94 replies 35 participants last post by  MrKitty 
#1 ·
So here is a thread where it is ok to actually discuss street riding, we are looking for opinions, ideas, insight, etc...

No fighting, no flaming, lets keep it clean.

Nick.

#66 · (Edited)
I been looking for something for like when I'm on the road truck driving. Well like when your stuck at the shipper for hours. Like if your thanking of getting lunch I thank a pocket bike or a motorized mtb bike would be grait. Well on your furom one of your members talked about bing visible I would put a small buggy whip on my bike (if I had one ). You can get them from dune buggy. com you can have lighted tips strobe light I would get the pirate the one that give me the booty thank. my phone auto currect puts piriod everywhere. I like that X20 will it do 80 mph I'm new to pocket bikes so not shure and its under 700. buckes. I know some of you put like 3000 to 4000 on them if I had that I would put it to a 750 triumph bobber or 750 cb cafe racer something that Jessica Alba maybe could jump on

#68 ·
I have a legal 19 and I needed legal lights meaning d..o..t approved and be visible from 450ft in daylight spaced 9"apart minimum

mirrors street legal tires and capable brakes that work along with a speedometer and non tamper proof odometer as not be able to be reset so dmv can track mileage when u get it Inspected
Once that's done its legal to get registered but as for safe to ride more than 25miles an hour no way In Hell the suspension alone will kill you the rear shock is anything but a shock it is just a spring no damper so when u hit a bump at 25 the rear tire just keeps hopping around

#71 ·
Yea see I live in Rutherfordton NC and lucky for me I'm out of city limits so rarely seen cops here but here in my county as long as it had head lights tail light break light and turn singles u can ride it on the road here it just if u have something bigger then a 50cc it just has to be insured and a tag but I'm looking for pb ppl that would like to meet up here at my house maybe start a club I don't know just saying but I would like for anyone that loves pb and can work on them and love riding anyone and all is welcome but no drama no bs I want this to turn out to b something yall would love to do see my house had a clear area for u to work on ur bikes if u need and a very long straight driveway so u can test out ur bikes or just ride up and down on so if anyone is interested just let me know and this will held in the n.c area thanks guys

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

#72 ·
Are Pocket Bikes Street Legal?

This is the most common question people ask and some still dont know the answer to. Pocket bikes are the only street legal in all 50 states! They come with papers to prove it also. But....there is one thing you need to know. They are only street legal if your pocket bike is 49cc or under. They are concidered moped vehicles. If it is 49cc or under, you do not need to get it registered and all that. Papers and documents will come with your bike to show the cops that you are able to ride them. If it is above 49cc, you will have to get a lisense, registered, and insured. If you want to ride on a major rode, you will need to get what i said above. If you need anymore questions ask me because i know almost everything about pocket bikes.

#84 ·
Re: Are Pocket Bikes Street Legal?

This is the most common question people ask and some still dont know the answer to. Pocket bikes are the only street legal in all 50 states! They come with papers to prove it also. But....there is one thing you need to know. They are only street legal if your pocket bike is 49cc or under. They are concidered moped vehicles. If it is 49cc or under, you do not need to get it registered and all that. Papers and documents will come with your bike to show the cops that you are able to ride them. If it is above 49cc, you will have to get a lisense, registered, and insured. If you want to ride on a major rode, you will need to get what i said above. If you need anymore questions ask me because i know almost everything about pocket bikes.
Obviously, you DON'T "know almost everything about pocket bikes." The bikes are a) too small to be easily seen by drivers of cars, trucks, and other vehicles, b) generally have NO headlights / turn signals / brake lights whatsoever (I realize there are models that do have lights, yes, but the small size of the bikes still makes them invalid for street use), and c) if you get caught riding, you could be facing a large fine and/or the very real possibility of having your pocketbike seized / impounded / CRUSHED.

#73 ·
just this summer it had been a long time of ordering fixing cleaning tuning fixing pealing the back tire off the rim 4 times we all know how pocket bikes work then one day my Cag was having a good day I mean a riley riley good day so I figured what can one little ride hurt LOL so I pull her out into the street I go down the road turn up the bloke and there is a loop up the street from my house mostly its just mobile homes so I went around the loop two or three times and someone had come out and started yelling something at me so i went heading back to my house and I look back I notice this dumb *** is following me in his SUV i was like well as i look down at my gas tank full tank time to show this guy what a pocket bike can do i flip down my visor and whack it open to WOT my Cag instantly jumping from about 18 MPH to 35 i look back and this guys suv with the screeching tires and drifty swaying action into the wrong side of the street and im just like o wow he riley thinks he can catch me so now the chase is on im weaving darting turning letting the guy catch up a little then ripping it some more around turns i look down and i have about 1/4 tank left i guess the party is over so i lose this guy drive right to my house close the garage door im all like hahahahahahaha and crack a beer i start drinking two hrs later i here knocking at door the yup you probably called it its the Post Falls Police and not just one or two of them they came 6 deep im like o dam there is a lot of you for one little pocket bike obviously they where not there for my amusement they wanted to see this supper fast highly modified illegal racing machine i was harboring behind my closed garage door and im talking to them im like o yea that thing you probably don't want to look at that thing hay look over here i have a camper its so cool i can put it on the back of my truck and go camping but they really wanted to see behind the door so finely i gave in and opened it for them lets just say they where not happy there was no GSXR CBR NINJA or any thing like that all they saw was a Honda Metro scooter a Honda ATC 70 with three flat tires and this tiny motor cycle silence for about a minute then one of them asks is that it pointing at my Cag i say Yup that's it so i tell them my side of the story what happened they said the guy tolled them i was going like 60 or 70 MPH around the neighbor hood on it and that several people had called in and i said yea i would of parked it a lot sooner had this idiot not chased me around like a moron for 15 minutes so they tolled me to have a nice night and not to ride it on the street any more:D:cool:

#75 ·
Well duh no matter what state you are in you need some sort of license to drive any vehicle on the road
I could understand if it was a unregistered uninsured but no license ya I'd say that's a legitimate ticket

#76 ·
yeah i had my drivers license but my pocket bike wasnt street legal or insured or anything. i am getting my motorcycle license soon but still, it's weird how of all the tickets he could have given me, he chose that one and only that one. i'm certainly not complaing that he didnt give me more but idk, it jus doesnt make a whole lot of sense. would he have just let me go if i just had my motorcycle license?

#77 ·
He could of impounded your bike for 30 days till you go before a judge, and get clearance to pay $1,200 in towing & storage fees. Go to court, and be nice and tell the judge your sorry you didn't know, that your working on getting a motorcycle license and they will probably cut the fine in half. When I first rode motorcycles, no motorcycle license, no helmets.

#79 ·
I had my green one registered but hadn't re registered it this year but I did take it to work and back this past sat got stopped twice and let go both times after showing them that on my phone this was a 35 mile round trip I did it cuz both vehicles were down and needed to get to and from work lol that day

Attachments

#85 ·
SpyGuy, glad to see your back. Yeah, these bikes and cars don't match very well against each other. With you on the bike, it's very top heavy, and will try to high side you.

#86 ·
just got back from court. my $325 riding without a license ticket was withdrawn... although that is mostly due to me looking young and innocent, but i'll take it. sadly though it's probably the end of pocket bikes for me. it's sad. if only there were places to legally ride...

#87 ·
Worcester Mass,i have been riding my mini chopper on the streets for about
10 years now,get pulled over a few times each year.Never got a ticket.
The mini choppers seem to fit the definition of a moped yet most cops do not seem to know this until they read the registration.I get [Moped Sticker]$40.00 every 2 years.Just picked 2 more choppers off creigs list already bought [Moped Stickers]for them.One is a clutched 4 speed[worried about that] though i will ride it anyhoo.
The 1st picture[the black bike][4 speed semi auto] is the one i have been riding for the past 10 years.The 2 other bikes are my new ones.
Orange one is [clutched 4 speed]Blue one [4 speed semi auto.]
All 48/49 cc.Dressing them up a bit this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.