BadAzzToyz 4 Petal Read Kit Review - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes

Go Back   Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes > Pocketbike Tech Talk > Air Cooled Pocketbikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About Us
Pocketbike Pictures Member Map Mark Forums Read

CAG,CAG,CAG and Oh Yeah CAG! :The Projects Cometh UP
Post up pics of your Cag...
Stock pipe mod
Boost Bottle?
A "Racing Engine" Built
39 & 47cc CAG FAQ <-- READ TO AVOID PROBLEMS!
NOS on my bike
Whats the fastest your bike ever went?
The Rat - SpyGuy's Redneck-Style Cagllari/Daytona
Added a boost port tonight *pics*

Old 03-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

BadAzzToyz 4 Petal Read Kit Review

Well about 3 months ago I received a Badazztoyz 4 petal reed kit to test and review. I installed and tested the kit but unfortunately my schedule did not allow for me to write and post this review. So 3 months late, here it is better late than never.

For those of you who didnít already know, the stock reed cage on a Cag is probably the #1 performance limiting factor of the entire engine design. The stock cage when bench flow tested only flows a max 35cfm. Thatís approximately 100% less than what the stock carb is capable. You can see how this would cause a bottle neck effect on the entire intake system limiting both the amount of fuel air that can be drawn into the engine. Adding a 4 petal kit is one of the easiest ways to increase your bikes performance and allow you to gain the most out of other performance parts.

The kit arrived packaged safely and neatly. The bolts were in a zip-lock bag as well as the 2 stage FG reeds and a few precut gaskets. Upon first inspection of the reed cage and V-block I was a little skeptical about the sheer size of this thing. I wondered if my carb would touch the back tire with this thing installed. But I was even more worried that the kit was going to add a ton of volume to my engine case. But upon closer inspection I noticed that the reed cage is machined with a taper that follows the contour of the V-block fairly tight and would not add much case volume at all. In fact the V-block fits so tight that the mounting holes in the reed cage actually broke through on the inside of the cage. I was concerned that this would be a likely place for an air leak, however with proper installation of the gaskets and a little high-temp RTV silicone place on the screw caps will ensure an airtight cage. The V-block comes with a pair of 2 petal stainless steel reeds already installed along with metal reed limiters and an ample coating of rubber sealant (a little too ample). I noticed that the rubber seal had some excess flashing that needed to be trimmed off. This is not a major problem and was as simple as removing the reeds and trimming the excess rubber with a razorblade. I reinstalled the metal reeds wanting to test them first before trying the 2 stage FG ones.

Installation of the kit is very simple and straight forward. Simply remove your carb, manifold and stock reed cage. Place the new v-block into the reed cage sandwiching a gasket between the 2 pieces. You may need to trim the gasket slightly to pass over the reed limiter screws. Place another gasket between the reed cage and the engine case and the last gasket between the reed cage and the phenolic spacer (plastic manifold). Make sure the V-block is pointing toward the engine case and make sure the reeds are aligned with the sides of the block and not the top and bottom. Now simply slide the 4 included hex head screws into the assembly and tighten down to the engine. You can add a drop of high-temp RTV silicone to the bottom of the hex head screws before you tighten them completely down if you like to ensure complete air tightness. Now hold your carb up and check for clearance on the frame and throttle cable length. The only modification I had to make to my carb was to round off the outside corners of my petcock knob so it would clear my vertical frame rail. I only did this b/c it came so close to the frame that under extreme frame flex conditions it may have been possible that the knob and the frame could make contact. I used my Dremel to round off the corners just for safetyís sake. Thatís it, thatís all there is to installing the 4 petal kit. Some jetting changes will possibly be required and having a jet kit or adj main jet will make that part painless. I wonít go into the jetting procedure, itís been cover before and you should all be well versed in it by now, needless to say itís the same process for jetting in the reed cage.

Once the kit was jetted in, I took the bike for a spin. Even during the jetting process I noticed a huge increase in throttle response and that was no different when riding it. The bike revved faster and smoother than before. There was a significant gain in lowend torque that I was not expecting. Mids and highs were noticeably stronger in pull. The bike pulled through the entire rpm range with a lot more grunt than before. Simply based on the butt dyno, it would be safe to say that I gained at least 300-400rpm and that on a less modified bike than mine you could expect to see between 500-1000rpm gains easily. Without going into a lot of detail about my bike setup, Iím running the Badazz torquer head kit, Badazz 4 petal reed cage, ported stock carb with adj main and tapered needle, screen type filter, modded stock pipe, and custom cut and bent clutch springs. Max rpm was measured @ 13,400rpms loaded by a Digatron Kart tach prior to adding the 4 petal reed kit and increasing the engine compression ratio. Corrected compression ratio test yielded 12,860rpms loaded prior to 4 petal reed kit install. Actual tach readings with the Badazz 4 petal kit are yet to be taken but like I said earlier Iím guessing at least a 300-400rpm increase on my highly modded engine. With the clutch engaging at approximately 5,000rpms, the bike easily pulls power wheelies right from the get go. There is absolutely no bogging and no sign of reed flutter at all even with the steel reeds installed and the engine screaming at 13K.

I have not tested the FG 2 stage reeds yet. I donít feel that they will work very well due to the large volume of the V-block and the stiffness of the 2nd stage reeds. More than likely the engine will not be able to pull the 2nd stage reeds open and thus it will only be flowing air through the holes that are drilled in them, thus causing a bottleneck situation again. I may run a test with simply the 1st stage (.3) FG reeds installed to compare them to the steel ones. I simply havenít done the test yet b/c the weather has been to poor and b/c I was fairly satisfied the last time I rode it that there is not much more performance to be squeezed out of this bike without having a huge loss in reliability. Iíve decided itís time to move on to a w/c bike and see if I can build a 20hp 65mph monster! Stay tuned for that one coming sometime next month. As for the Badazz 4 petal reed kitÖ You canít go wrong with that purchase. If youíre bike is still stock, this kit will give you a good increase in power and speed as well as taking full advantage of any performance parts you add later. As for you guys with modded bikes, upgrading to this reed kit will allow you to realize the full potential of your existing performance parts and increase your overall performance as well. Anyone with a basic understanding of physics can look at your stock reed cage and tell you why you should upgrade it, and when you decide to do so you need to give Chris a call at BadAzzToyz, heís the only man you need to talk to.

-Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0269a.jpg (164.3 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0266a.jpg (170.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0547a.jpg (1.15 MB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0554a.jpg (293.4 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0553a.jpg (218.0 KB, 185 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

NICE REVIEW, Too bad you beat me too it, I was also going to do a review, Ill probably still will, You gained 300-400 rpms, hmm I hit 10000 before I installed it, and then I hit 10480 with it after with NO tuning, Im going to still install my drilled two jets and see whats up...I got a little air leak though, got to fix that, but the low end is...WOW, the low and top and mid have been all increased, again good review Dan!
John

Old 03-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

of all the reed cage kits whick one do you think works the best? the ada, ip2, or proline. i have the proline but i wish i had the ip2 one.

Old 03-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmr08
of all the reed cage kits whick one do you think works the best? the ada, ip2, or proline. i have the proline but i wish i had the ip2 one.
Well I think they are all great b/c the all solve the bottle neck issue. It's just a matter of opinion of which one you want. I think they all probably perform the same. The IP2/BadAzzToyz are nice b/c the stock carb bolts up to it. I think the ADA has a stock carb kit too but no one can beat Chris's prices and service. The proline is an amazing looking setup and it holds a Walbro carb if you like that setup.

John, the more modded your engine the exponentially harder it becomes to achieve performance gains. My enigine is running at an extreme end of the spectrum for a Cag engine so I really can't squeeze a lot more out of it. Where as a bike that is slightly modified is going to see larger gains from the kit than I did b/c his engine isn't as close to it's limit.

Last edited by Ritchey79; 03-13-2005 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

thats why i would like to have the ip2 so i could run a stock carb or a dellorto replica. i have enough fot the dellorto but i cant afford a new reed cage

Old 03-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

psws reed valve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmr08
thats why i would like to have the ip2 so i could run a stock carb or a dellorto replica. i have enough fot the dellorto but i cant afford a new reed cage
I'll take the psws off your hands.
Then you can get the IP2.
PM me.

Old 03-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Just got my 4 pedal isntalled this eveing, can't wait to try it out tommarow.

Old 03-14-2005
W W W. H A N G L O S. N L

Nice review Dan! I have my 4 petal reed kit installed as well but couldn't try it out too much yet. The engine is still in the braking in stage (got a new engine!).
I have a dellorto SHA 15/15 mounted on it.
I am really curious to see how it will go. I did not use any silicone on the screws caps but will need to as it's slightly leaking there.

Old 04-05-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Okay, with a stock ported carb and an IP2 pipe with the very restrictive silencer removed, the IP2 reeds really open up. I actually had to lean my adj main jet out to get the proper tunnig after adding the IP2 pipe to my setup. This is a very big reed cage and it needs to flow a lot of air to really perform to it's potential. Any performance pipe will help.

Old 04-05-2005
Banned

How is the ip2 silencer restrictive? Is there an evil troll hiding in there? I was under the impression that the silencer was a perforated tube with fiberglass matting around it. So long as nothin is protruding into the tube I dont see how this is restrictive?

Old 04-05-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Ideally a silencer shouldn't be restrictive, but let's face it, it's not a perfect world and things that work in theory don't always work in real life. I'm simply saying that I saw very noticable gains by removing the silencer from the IP2. I won't go into detail about the theories in construction of a pipe since it's been discussed before and this is a thread about the Badazztoyz 4-petal reeds. But think about what factors a longer stinger have on an exhaust, then think about the effect that a densly wrapped fiberglass and alum silencer has. The silencer does mimic the stinger to some degree, even if it's not supposed to in theory. Just a thought. But it doesn't change the fact that when I removed the silencer from my pipe that it added performance.

Old 04-13-2005
Enema Of The State

Thanks for the work Dan!

Old 04-13-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER
PBP COUNCIL MEMBER

Great review Ritchey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchey79
Ideally a silencer shouldn't be restrictive, but let's face it, it's not a perfect world and things that work in theory don't always work in real life. I'm simply saying that I saw very noticable gains by removing the silencer from the IP2. I won't go into detail about the theories in construction of a pipe since it's been discussed before and this is a thread about the Badazztoyz 4-petal reeds. But think about what factors a longer stinger have on an exhaust, then think about the effect that a densly wrapped fiberglass and alum silencer has. The silencer does mimic the stinger to some degree, even if it's not supposed to in theory. Just a thought. But it doesn't change the fact that when I removed the silencer from my pipe that it added performance.

Old 04-24-2005

reeds

I dont know much about pocket bikes, so help me out, is it nescesary to rejet for the reeds, or can you leave your stock jetting? or what about the ip2 pipe, and the reeds, do you have to rejet for that? 0r just rejet if you want better performance? thanks

Old 04-24-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

whenever u allow an engine to breathe more air into it and move it out more effeceintly u will need to jet higher

Old 05-10-2005
PBP RACER

great review... thanks.. about the pipes, i've also noticed the design also plays alot into it. (down pipe vs. up pipe). Essentially, down pipe (flow w/ gravity), and up pipe (flow against gravity) makes a big difference in low and top end... if u lag a little in low end, try a down pipe, and visa-versa....

Old 05-21-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Ritchey79
Nice write up. With all your tuning experience your ready to dive into the Euro bikes and take the podiums!!!!

Old 05-21-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

hes not ready for the dark side

Old 06-01-2005
PBP RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-Tone-A MX
NICE REVIEW, Too bad you beat me too it, I was also going to do a review, Ill probably still will, You gained 300-400 rpms, hmm I hit 10000 before I installed it, and then I hit 10480 with it after with NO tuning, Im going to still install my drilled two jets and see whats up...I got a little air leak though, got to fix that, but the low end is...WOW, the low and top and mid have been all increased, again good review Dan!
John
man you should really fix the leak if it is coming from the case side of the reed because mine was acting funny until i put some silicone and oh man did it do the diff better idle and even more pull... really nice mod

Old 06-14-2005

[QUOTE=Ritchey79]Well I think they are all great...QUOTE]
hey, im not very expirienced in the world of pocketbike engines but i have been around dirtbikes nd i know that my stock hf cag is slow.it accellerates slow and has a fairly low top speed. what i need to kno is if i could put a BadAzz 4 petal Stage 2 reed kit on bad azz toyz. com on my 100% stock cag without ne other mods. i really dont kno and i figure u'd kno better than i would. -ethan-