Trouble with trevor simpson head kit - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes

Go Back   Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes > Pocketbike Tech Talk > Air Cooled Pocketbikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About Us
Pocketbike Pictures Member Map Mark Forums Read

CAG,CAG,CAG and Oh Yeah CAG! :The Projects Cometh UP
Post up pics of your Cag...
Stock pipe mod
Boost Bottle?
39 & 47cc CAG FAQ <-- READ TO AVOID PROBLEMS!
A "Racing Engine" Built
NOS on my bike
Whats the fastest your bike ever went?
The Rat - SpyGuy's Redneck-Style Cagllari/Daytona
Added a boost port tonight *pics*

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Trouble with trevor simpson head kit

I just brought a trevor simpson head kit and install it. The problem is that the cag will not start now........I re-installed my ported head kit and it starts on the first pull..........Not sure why the cag is not starting. did anyone have this problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER
PBP COUNCIL MEMBER

I have the trevor simpson head kit but haven't installed it. How many gaskets are you using? Whats your squish? Just saying it doesnt work without giving more info, won't get much help.

Do you get a spark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Divisionboyz
I just brought a trevor simpson head kit and install it. The problem is that the cag will not start now........I re-installed my ported head kit and it starts on the first pull..........Not sure why the cag is not starting. did anyone have this problem?

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

only one gasket is being used.............no sparks........the plug still looks brand new......

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER
PBP COUNCIL MEMBER

Well there goes your problem then. No spark equals no start. Make sure your coil is getting a charge from the flywheel when it spins. You might have to change out your coil.

Also, have you considered having to rejet? You might not have enough fuel getting to the head.

Quote:
only one gasket is being used.............no sparks........the plug still looks brand new......

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER
PBP COUNCIL MEMBER

Quote:
No spark when the plug grounded to the head? So if you ground it to the case it will spark? I'm not familiar with the trevor simpson head kit but if that's the case, you of course have a continuity issue. I believe the heads are anodized, correct? The anodizing may prevent the head to ground through the head bolts since it cannot ground through the gasket. Try grinding the anodizing away where the heads of the head bolts meet the head (that was too many heads in that last sentence, lol).

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Thanks guys for these tips, I will try these solutions when I get off work today. I am not sure why my friends trevor kit works just fine and I got stuck with this problem. What puzzle me that most is that why the trevor simpson head comes in different spark plugs. My friends all got NGK BM7A and I got stuck with the Autolit one.

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER
PBP COUNCIL MEMBER

Quote:
Thanks guys for these tips, I will try these solutions when I get off work today. I am not sure why my friends trevor kit works just fine and I got stuck with this problem. What puzzle me that most is that why the trevor simpson head comes in different spark plugs. My friends all got NGK BM7A and I got stuck with the Autolit one.
What Autolite p/n is it? You should have 253. 235, 254-255 will work also but are hotter.

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

okay guys, I change the bad coil and install a working one. I know this one works since I tested on my other cags, and there is sparks now I can see it but still does not start. Hmm.......I also added a new gasket. Still puzzled on why this head is not working. I fired up my other cag with the ported head. the motor, coil, sparks, and fires up. But when I put hte trevor simpson head on.....the motor just turns, will not kick on......can someone help me more on this werid problem???????

Old 09-30-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER
PBP COUNCIL MEMBER

Did you gap the plug?

Still sounds like you're not getting enough of a spark, plus, it seems you need more fuel as well. With more air, more fuel is needed.

What carb are you running? You need to jet higher for sure.

Quote:
okay guys, I change the bad coil and install a working one. I know this one works since I tested on my other cags, and there is sparks now I can see it but still does not start. Hmm.......I also added a new gasket. Still puzzled on why this head is not working. I fired up my other cag with the ported head. the motor, coil, sparks, and fires up. But when I put hte trevor simpson head on.....the motor just turns, will not kick on......can someone help me more on this werid problem???????

Old 10-01-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Well, I am using a stock carb with stock jets.........I will try to use a larger jet later and re-gap my plug. What size gap should I be at? wider or closer?

Old 10-01-2004

Quote:
Is the upper gasket (the copper one) damaged in any way where a leak could occur? If your bike starts on the first pull with the old head then it is not a coil or gap problem, you do not even have to remove the coil to install the TS head kit. You probably have a gasket leak or a stuck piston ring. Are you using the same piston as what you use with the other head? If so then that is not the problem but I would check your gaskets and make sure none is damaged or pinched in any way. If so, get a new one. Also make sure when you tighten the TS head kit down that you tighten the bolts in a cross pattern. Looking at the top of the head like this [x]. Get all the bolts snug, not tight then go from top left to bottom right then bottom left to top right tightening little by little until all of them are nice and tight.

Old 10-04-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Thanks guys.........I will add all new gaskets for the O' ring and the header to see if I can start it........

Old 10-05-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER
PBP COUNCIL MEMBER

You ever get it fixed? I still haven't installed mine.

Quote:
Thanks guys.........I will add all new gaskets for the O' ring and the header to see if I can start it........

Old 10-05-2004
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

NA............I did not have any time this weekend since I was kinda busy with my other cags. I will try to put gaskets on and see if I get more compressions. I will also install my dellroto carb with bigger jets and see if I can get this upgrade motor started.....