Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About Us
Pocketbike Pictures Member Map Mark Forums Read

Pics of your choppers!
apc mini chopper -pepboys-A&A
Tuning a 49cc 2 stroke
250cc V-Twin Scorpion Chopper
APC Mini Chopper Questions
4 stroke chopper with 4 speed manual tranny
Mini Chopper 49cc Won't Idle, and Seems to be leaking gas. PLEASE HELP.
lost my key
Baja Warrior Mods/Upgrades
Homemade chopper

Old 06-16-2009
verified

weed eater motor

i am just wandering bout gettin a weed eater motor and puttin it on a frame that i going to make my girlfriend

what size would you think i would need i have found a 42cc and that s the biggest one i have seen do you think that it could pull a 3 ft long chopper

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2009
Super Moderator

Re: weed eater motor

Why not just put a Midbike 49cc motor in it since you can get 3 or 4 different trannys that will fit them?

Old 06-16-2009
verified

yea i was thinking bout ordering a 49cc motor and 2 sprockets but i cant find a cheap motor that is why i resorted to the weed eater motors, cuz you can get a weedeater at walmart for cheap but i didnt know if it would hold the power and push the bike...

see i put a 49cc motor on my chopper that i built and the frame weighs like 50lbs without me on there so that frame is pushing bout 200lbs with me on it.. i was think if i got the 30 somethin cc and made my frame alot smaller (whichi i needed to have done with the 1st chopper) then i would be ok...

do you know where i could get a 49cc motor and sprockets for less then $100

Old 06-16-2009
Super Moderator

Have you looked on ebay just keep your eye open for awhile they come through there often. There's 1 on there now but it's missing alot of parts and he's asking $65. or best offer. which I would let that 1 pass. I only looked through the first 22 pages today so there maybe another.

Old 06-16-2009
verified

Yea man I have checked ebay and craigslist and I can't find anything for a cheap price I google shopped it and the only thing I found and it was a good deal don't get me wrong it was a 49cc motor with a tranny (how does a 49cc motor have a tranny by the way) and they wanted $90 so that wasn't that bad to me

Old 06-16-2009
Super Moderator

The tranny isn't a tranny in the sence your thinking. They still have only 1 gear. They are what is called a gear reduction tranny. Now the closest to have gears would be the CVT's. That was a brand new motor and tranny for $90.? That's a decent price for for a new motor. Most new motor are around $125. to $150. I tell you what I'll keep and eye out and look around some and see if we can't find you a good motor.

Old 06-16-2009
verified

Ah I gotcha now man that makes sense and yea it said 89 bucks but I dunno if that was the actual price for it all. I on my blackberry and you can't see everything on a mobile site you know so its confusing sometimes. Thanks for the help eith the motor like I said I not wanting to spend a lot on the motor cuz I've gotta buy the rear tire and hub and sprockets and chain and all that after I get the frame built. I need the rear tire first so I gonna go get that tomorrow prob or sometimes this week. I'll show ya my chopper that I built that has some welding to be done to it this week but I'll get those up asap when I figure out how to post a pic from my phone.

Old 06-17-2009
Super Moderator

Ok that sound cool I would like to see your chopper project.

Old 06-17-2009
verified

O yea man I'll get them up hopefully today. Its nothing special but you know when you build somethin you are excited haha

Old 06-17-2009
PBP RACER

The weed eater clutch will give you problems because they are designed to slip when the line gets tangled. The friction caused my hack to over heat and melt the plastic clutch housing. Let me tell you it wasn't pretty and almost left me stranded. I used an Echo motor so it wasn't like it was a terminally cheap POS.

Much better off to buy a ~$80 cag type engine. They come with a sprocket and are really complete. Throttle cable and gas line/tank is all you need to add. They are almost standardized in that you can get a lot of parts like chains and rear sprockets that will bolt up.

Rick

Old 06-17-2009
verified

Hey rick I didn't know that would happen I'm glad you told me that cuz I'd been in deep if I woulda got messed up that way. What kind of motor are you talking bout and where might I find one like it for that cheap?!

Old 06-20-2009
PBP RACER

I got one of the eBay ones with built in reduction gearing. Mine was $80 with free shipping. Only picture of one I found is priced high but mine looks like
Atv Dirt Mini Pocket Bike Parts Engine Motor 49cc Tran:eBay Motors (item 290272438428 end time Jul-01-09 01:35:01 PDT)

Old 06-21-2009
Weekend Warrior

check out this website you might be able to get some other answers over there. altho its more about motor assisted bicycles.
they might know of a few setups tho.

MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Old 06-23-2009
verified

O yea man that is the motor that I looked at. I think I might just looked into getting one of those.

Old 06-23-2009
Super Moderator

You know that if you want to run any lights and or have a electric starter on your chopper build you would be better off getting the 2-stroke motor for the MidBike.