2-Stroke 49cc Engine Help!! - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes

Go Back   Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes > Pocketbike Tech Talk > Air Cooled Pocketbikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About Us
Pocketbike Pictures Member Map Mark Forums Read

CAG,CAG,CAG and Oh Yeah CAG! :The Projects Cometh UP
Post up pics of your Cag...
Stock pipe mod
Boost Bottle?
A "Racing Engine" Built
39 & 47cc CAG FAQ <-- READ TO AVOID PROBLEMS!
NOS on my bike
Whats the fastest your bike ever went?
The Rat - SpyGuy's Redneck-Style Cagllari/Daytona
Added a boost port tonight *pics*

Old 06-27-2009
verified

2-Stroke 49cc Engine Help!!

O.k., I have a problem in which is confusing me alot. I have a 49cc engine in a pocket bike that my friend gave me, the problems with it are that when i am trying to use the pull start, the pull start will be extremely hard to tug at, as if the gears were having a hard time turning, and i was going at it for about 5 minutes trying to get it to start but the engine wouldn't start. My friend says that when it does start though, the engine will be smoking, which i am told means it has to much oil in the two stroke, which in my opinion doesn't make sense because the gas has a reddish tint and smells alot like gas rather then 2-stroke Oil+gas. My friend had taken out the orriginal clutch inside the motor and switched it out with a better one, could that have anything to do with it? Do i need to add in more gear oil above the sprocket piece?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-27-2009
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Re: 2-Stroke 49cc Engine Help!!

it has nothing to do with the sprockets, or the clutch, unless the clutch is adjusted so much that it is fully extended. Try lifting up the back end, so the wheel is off the ground, and try again. If it starts, and the back wheel moves, it is a clutch prob. otherwise, if he wasnt using oil, you could have seized the motor, and will need a top end rebuild kit.

Old 06-27-2009
verified

Ok please explain something cause im still new to alot of this, What does it mean when the engine is seized, what exactly is wrong in it?

Old 06-27-2009
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

When you dont use enough oil, the engine has no form of lubrication, and it will get hot, and possibly melt the piston.. This is why you have to use oil, so if you do get a rebuild kit, make sure you use 2 stroke oil and gas. I dont know how to explain it further, other members may be able to tho.

Old 06-27-2009
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind909 View Post
it has nothing to do with the sprockets, or the clutch, unless the clutch is adjusted so much that it is fully extended. Try lifting up the back end, so the wheel is off the ground, and try again. If it starts, and the back wheel moves, it is a clutch prob. otherwise, if he wasnt using oil, you could have seized the motor, and will need a top end rebuild kit.
Usually when the rear wheel spins after you started the bike is the idle is set too high. As far as oil mixture, you have to mix it at 32:1. There are things that you need to check if the bike doesn't want to start:

1) make sure you turn the gas knob on
2) play with the choke
3) make sure you have gas in the system, fuel line and tank are not clogged
4) open up the float bowl and check whether you have a nice flow of gas to the carb.
5) check and make sure you are getting sparks (healthy sparks should be blue in color)

Old 06-28-2009
Hooligan

If he truly seized the engine, you wouldn't be able to pull the starter at all. Mix up some 32:1 gas/oil and try it. You can find little bottles of 2-stroke oil at AutoZone or Checker that you would just mix with a gallon of gas. Two-stroke engines smoking is normal - you're burning oil as well as gas.

Old 06-28-2009
verified

So wait, you think its the gas? and how would i check the spark plug? Also, if i were to take out the pull start and try to move the piece that the pull start spins, would it spin if the engine was seized?

Old 06-28-2009
verified

If you were to remove the pull start and try to rotate the part inside there, if it's siezed it will not spin. Siezing is when the piston has gotten so hot inside the cylinder that it has actually swelled in diameter to the point that it cannot slide up & down any more. And, once siezed, you will have a tough time breaking it free to get it to working again, plus very considerable damage may have taken place inside the motor due to the lack of oil. LUBE IS YOUR FRIEND, without it, you wont like the results! No need to over-do-it, just keep it mixed properly and you should be okay.

Old 06-29-2009
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by khris91 View Post
O.k., I have a problem in which is confusing me alot. I have a 49cc engine in a pocket bike that my friend gave me, the problems with it are that when i am trying to use the pull start, the pull start will be extremely hard to tug at, as if the gears were having a hard time turning, and i was going at it for about 5 minutes trying to get it to start but the engine wouldn't start. My friend says that when it does start though, the engine will be smoking, which i am told means it has to much oil in the two stroke, which in my opinion doesn't make sense because the gas has a reddish tint and smells alot like gas rather then 2-stroke Oil+gas. My friend had taken out the orriginal clutch inside the motor and switched it out with a better one, could that have anything to do with it? Do i need to add in more gear oil above the sprocket piece?
You need to adjust the coil as it's rubbing on your flywheel which is making it hard to pull the pull starter. What oil to gas ratio are you mixing you fuel at? Oh just saw that a new clutch was put on. Now this may not be the problem but if when putting the new clutch on if the woodruff key in the crank slipped out of the groove when the clutch was slipped onto the crank it maybe wedged inbetween the clutch and the crank case. But check the coil first.

Old 06-29-2009
Hooligan

Good call on the coil being misgapped, Dawg.

The airgap between coil and flywheel should be the thickness of a standard business card. Loosen the coil, put a business card in there, put the coil down against the card so it's snug, and tighten up the coil. Rotate the flywheel to get the card out.

Old 09-14-2009
PBP RACER

^^^^ This gonna help me as well...nice post glad I found it )
business card gap.

(soon to be running again x1!)

Old 04-02-2012
verified

You post a pic of it? I have a pocket bike and I have no info on it but I'm wondering if you have to same one as me.

Old 04-02-2012
Outlaw

These are old threads. If you cylinder is out forward & your clutch and flywheels are on opposite sides you have a 47 or 49cc reed port engine. If the cyld is straight up and down and the flywheel and clutch are bolted together you have a 43 to 49cc piston port engine. The coils look alittle different but you adjust them the same.

Old 04-11-2012
verified

looking for torque specs for 49cc cag. motor? anything? anywhere?

Old 04-12-2012
Outlaw

Use lock washers and 8.8 grade bolts and tighten them with a small wrench.

Old 04-12-2012
Outlaw

Porsche23, have you ever seen a Porsche 16 cylinder fuel injected Can Am engine? Look at the 16 lines coming off the pump, what nightmare that could be. your going to Love this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CanAm 16 Cyld German Engine.jpg (75.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by EPR; 04-12-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 04-13-2012
verified

Sorry should've been more specific. Bought that prebuilt cag 44mm engine off ebay. I'm Sure everyone knows bout it... everything i been reading makes me Wonna make sure its all good.