43cc mini chopper motor issue - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes

Go Back   Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes > Misc > HELP! Ask our shadetree mechanics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About Us
Pocketbike Pictures Member Map Mark Forums Read

Looking for wire diagram for 49cc cat eye pocket bike
49CC Quad starting & idling problems
x7 Help needed
Four wire key switch bypass
How to start Pocketbike without Pull start!?!?!?!?!?!?!
49cc cat eye problem:)
X19 wont start! Helpp!!
my bike wont accelerate
Cant get my bike to idle
no fuel to carb, help!

Old 03-26-2010
verified

43cc mini chopper motor issue

Hi,

I have a mini chopper with a 43cc 2 stroke engine. The engine will turn over freely without the spark plug. When I put the spark plug back in, the motor is having a hard time turning over. When I have the spark plug out, the motor is turning smooth and is turning over easily. It is just when I re-install the spark plug, the engine acts like it is locking up. I took the exhaust and the carb off to make sure nothing is causing the motor to not "breath". Any help would help!!! I guess if I can't get it running I could always buy a new engine online. Any suggestions on online suppliers? Awsome site!!! Glad I found you guys!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2010
Hooligan

Re: 43cc mini chopper motor issue

Welcome to the forums. Ummmm ..... of course it turns easily without the spark plug in it - you have no compression when you turn it like that.

Since you have the spark plug out anyway, put your thumb over the spark plug hole and pull hte starter. if you have good compression, it will push your thumb off the hole. No? Air leak - check all bolts to make sure they're right and tight.

Put the boot back on the spark plug, then ground the plug against the cylinder or bare metal of the frame. Pull the starter, and watch for the spark - what color is it? Blue-white = good, orange/none = bad.

Give the carburetor a good cleaning - all the little holes and passages have to be practically spotless for things to work correctly. Make sure you tighten both exhaust and carburetor bolts when you put everything back together - do NOT run the bike without an exhaust!

As for dealers and suppliers, check our sfeedback section of the forums. A good poll means good service, fast shipping, customer friendly, and so on. A bad poll .... well, might not want to orer from those guys ....

Old 03-26-2010
verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy View Post
Welcome to the forums. Ummmm ..... of course it turns easily without the spark plug in it - you have no compression when you turn it like that.

Since you have the spark plug out anyway, put your thumb over the spark plug hole and pull hte starter. if you have good compression, it will push your thumb off the hole. No? Air leak - check all bolts to make sure they're right and tight.

Put the boot back on the spark plug, then ground the plug against the cylinder or bare metal of the frame. Pull the starter, and watch for the spark - what color is it? Blue-white = good, orange/none = bad.

Give the carburetor a good cleaning - all the little holes and passages have to be practically spotless for things to work correctly. Make sure you tighten both exhaust and carburetor bolts when you put everything back together - do NOT run the bike without an exhaust!

As for dealers and suppliers, check our sfeedback section of the forums. A good poll means good service, fast shipping, customer friendly, and so on. A bad poll .... well, might not want to orer from those guys ....
Thanks for the feedback. I have the carb and exhaust off. I checked for spark and it is good. I put my finger over the hole and it is pushing and sucking my finger in. So compression seems fine. It is just when I put the plug back in, it turns over sluggish and is not turning over as fast as I think it should. The electric start has a good battery and is turning over, it just is perplexing me! Anything else to try?

Thanks!!!

Old 03-27-2010
verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz09xq View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have the carb and exhaust off. I checked for spark and it is good. I put my finger over the hole and it is pushing and sucking my finger in. So compression seems fine. It is just when I put the plug back in, it turns over sluggish and is not turning over as fast as I think it should. The electric start has a good battery and is turning over, it just is perplexing me! Anything else to try?

Thanks!!!
Got the little sucker running. I found out that the electric start was not enough to turn the motor over. I also sprayed some lubricant down in the cylinder to loosen it up. It has been sitting for a while. I put a bolt into the center of the electric start assembly and used a drill to turn it over. I adjusted the carb, put the muffler back on, filled it full of fresh fuel, and bingo!!! Thanks for all the help!!!!

Old 03-28-2010
Super Moderator

Check to see the coil isn't rubbing on the flywheel reset the gap between the coil and flywheel using a business card.