Pocketbike Pictures Member Map Mark Forums Read

Pics of your choppers!
apc mini chopper -pepboys-A&A
Tuning a 49cc 2 stroke
250cc V-Twin Scorpion Chopper
APC Mini Chopper Questions
4 stroke chopper with 4 speed manual tranny
lost my key
Mini Chopper 49cc Won't Idle, and Seems to be leaking gas. PLEASE HELP.
Homemade chopper
Baja Warrior Mods/Upgrades

Old 03-28-2011
verified

APC Mini Chopper Key Switch

I have an APC Mini Chopper with a broken key switch. The key switch vibrated out of the tank and cracked near the bottom where the wires attach. The key is a simple on/off switch.

Since it belongs to my 7 year old, I am not necessarily sold on having a key for it anyway. I attempted to put a simple on/off switch in place of the key, but apparently I have something wired wrong.

The wires on this bike look to be all over the map when it comes to color codes, but then maybe it is just me.

Anyway, there are 4 wires total on the bottom of the switch (2 orange, 1 black and white, 1 green). The two orange wires are at the 1 and 2 position on the bottom of the switch, whereas the black/white and the green wires are at the 4 and 5 position. They all go to a plastic connector in the harness. The corresponding connections on the other side of the harness are not the same color (orange connects to red, orange to black, etc)

I simply tied the oranges together and the other wires together and installed a 2 post on/off switch, but the bike will not start now. Have I tied the wires together incorrectly? Do I need to simply buy another factory replacement for the key? I have had no luck in finding a schematic on the wiring, so I was hoping that someone had replaced the key and could give me some pointers.

Any advice is welcome,

Thanks,
Rick

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-28-2011
But who prays for Satan?

Re: APC Mini Chopper Key Switch

Hi Rick. As far as I remember, those key switches simply ground the coil to the frame, which would mean the wire coming off the coil would need to be connected to a ground wire, that would cause the engine to stop, to run we need to let the coil ground itself through the spark plug, so that coil (ground) wire connected to nothing should be run.

Good luck!

Nick.

Old 03-28-2011
verified

As bad as I hate to do it, I may just get another key switch for it. I don't have a lot of time to trace wires (3 kids, lots of projects).

Any idea where to buy parts for this thing? Seems like I have to work on it every time he rides it! Guess it is preparing him for the Harley, huh??

thanks,
Rick

Old 03-31-2011
verified

Rick,

When I got my mini chopper the ignition switch was never there and I had to figure out the wiring. I found a wiring diagram that is accurate to my bike (the diagram may be somewhere else in this forum...I dont remember).

NOTE: All the explanations below and my wiring diagram are accurate to my mini chopper but I don't know if they are standard to all mini choppers....you should verify the wiring is the same first.

The two orange wires coming from the switch change to black and red at the connector. The black/white wire and the green wire stay the same color.

To start:
Connect the two orange wires (which are really red and black wires) together Disconnect Green wire from the Black/White wire
Press starter button

To stop:
Disconnect orange wires from each other
Connect Green wire to Black/White wire.

Black (orange wire at switch) = Connect this to Battery + to run/power up
Red (second orange wire at switch) = Battery +
Green = Chassis ground
Black/White = Ignition kill (ground this to kill ignition)

Send me a private message and I will email you my wiring diagram if you'd like (I can't figure out if I am able to attach files to this message).

Matt

Old 03-31-2011
Time for WHAT?

Heres a wiring diagram that I have....
Attached Images
File Type: gif X-1_harley bike_ cateye wiring harness.gif (69.4 KB, 186 views)

Old 04-17-2011
verified

Does anyone have a factory wiring schematic on this thing,,,,,,i just got one with no key switch and did the connect the black and red together thing....All it does is blow the fuse.....the wiring looks pretty much un touched but i need a diagram to know for sure

Old 04-18-2011
verified

John,

I attached the schematic that I have. It is accurate for my APC mini chopper. You should verify it is accurate to your bike before using it.

Does it blow the fuse right when you connect Black to Red or when you press the start button? Also, is the Green wire disconnected from the Black/White wire? (they need to be disconnected to start the motor on my bike). The rear brake must also be activated to start my bike.

Matt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring Diagram.pdf (275.5 KB, 279 views)

Old 04-18-2011
verified

It blows the fuse soon as i connect the red and black together.....thnaks for the wiring diagram....Ill report back

Old 04-18-2011
verified

Problem solved!!!..turns out when the speedo was put on it pinched a wire under the mount....everything works on this thing and it was a freebie......Thanks for the help

Old 08-25-2011
verified

it seems there aren't many who have an "APC" mini-chop.
i've had one in my basement since '03; i used to sell them through my auto parts store years ago as i was an APC dealer.
anyone find parts sources or performance upgrades on the market for them?
do we know who actually built these bikes?
just joined this forum; some good and entertaining stuff is here, but seemingly little (understandably given their toy-like nature) for apc's.
TIA,
mike

Old 10-16-2011
verified

Hi I'm new here but I was wondering if you could send me the wiring diagram your talking about.
My email is Aquaris36@aol.com

Old 05-24-2012
verified

The apc is made in china the engines are mitsubishi..

Old 05-02-2014
verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_ct View Post
Rick,

When I got my mini chopper the ignition switch was never there and I had to figure out the wiring. I found a wiring diagram that is accurate to my bike (the diagram may be somewhere else in this forum...I dont remember).

NOTE: All the explanations below and my wiring diagram are accurate to my mini chopper but I don't know if they are standard to all mini choppers....you should verify the wiring is the same first.

The two orange wires coming from the switch change to black and red at the connector. The black/white wire and the green wire stay the same color.

To start:
Connect the two orange wires (which are really red and black wires) together Disconnect Green wire from the Black/White wire
Press starter button

To stop:

Green = Chassis ground

Send me a private message and I will email you my wiring diagram if you'd like (I can't figure out if I am able to attach files to this message).

Matt
Hi there,
I am helping my Dad research to find a schematic for his mini Harley. I found your post and printed it for him...the text description matches his bike!
Is it possible for you to send me a visual copy of the schematic for this bike? It would be really great : )
Thank you,
Sonja
sldziedzic@sbcglobal.net

Old 05-02-2014
Outlaw

Think you need 5 to 10 post before you can do to much.

Old 05-04-2014
verified

Sonja,

I will email you the diagrams I have. Also once you have 5 or 10 posts (as EPR said) you can download the diagram directly from my post above.

Matt

Old 06-17-2014

Smile Re: APC Mini Chopper Key Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_ct View Post
Rick,

To start:
Press starter button

To stop:

Green = Chassis ground

Matt
Hello my name is Paul, and I am putting a 43cc mini chopper together for my grandson. having problem with the wiring and I read your post.
Would it be possible to get a email of the wiring Diagram?
Thank you in Advance for the help. I would be glade to post a pic of the chopper when I am done.
dantin3@juno.com
Thank you.

Old 06-17-2014
Outlaw

Think you need 10 posts before you can post photos.

Old 06-18-2014

Smile Re: APC Mini Chopper Key Switch

Thank You so much.

Old 06-18-2014
Outlaw

Best way to get more posts is read other posts and ask questions, just like here, answer this and you will have 3, lol.