clutch problems...???!!!! - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes

Go Back   Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes > Pocketbike Tech Talk > Water Cooled Pocketbikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About Us
Pocketbike Pictures Member Map Mark Forums Read

Tuning a B1 China replica
Just got my Banshee SHO starts Smooth but..
Nick's Water cooled bikes.... MT-A4 ( C1 )
Best Chinese Water Cooled Bike?
Teaser - DM replicas from China
ZPF Replica on the way...
ZPF Replica here now
Banshee SHO Updates and Test Thread
B1 replica review (unicorn) with pics *pic request*
Have you guys seen the D1? Pic inside.. :)

Old 01-02-2005
PBP RACER

clutch problems...???!!!!

i just got a zocchi clutch the whole upgrade...i was told to set the springs at 24.90mm well it did really good at 1st but i saw after awhile it was engangen earlier then when i 1st set it..i have the c1 with squinch down to .5 reed spacer,2 stage reeds, 17mm carb,and a 6/72 gear and it seems like it doesnt want to grab like it 1st did... so im not very impressed with this clutch it take me a good 45 yards to hit the pipe if not farther....if any of u guys out there can help me i would be thankfull......and oh yea the bike moves out when it hits the pipe i just wish it would do it from the get go...im 6'0 210 lbs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketbikeboy
i just got a zocchi clutch the whole upgrade...i was told to set the springs at 24.90mm well it did really good at 1st but i saw after awhile it was engangen earlier then when i 1st set it..i have the c1 with squinch down to .5 reed spacer,2 stage reeds, 17mm carb,and a 6/72 gear and it seems like it doesnt want to grab like it 1st did... so im not very impressed with this clutch it take me a good 45 yards to hit the pipe if not farther....if any of u guys out there can help me i would be thankfull......and oh yea the bike moves out when it hits the pipe i just wish it would do it from the get go...im 6'0 210 lbs
Check the overall diameter of the clutch, it should be around 78mm. What you are experiencing is a clutch that is engaging too early. It has nothing to do with the clutch. Recheck the springs tighten them down to 24.6mm, but check the diameter. Tom at DCminimoto said that the pads from Zocchi have been a little thick. I had to recheck also after he told me the diameter is at 77.8mm to 78mm. I removed a little bit of the pads, very small amount, and got the diameter to 77.9mm and the clutch engages perfectly around 9k. It works great.

MM

Old 01-02-2005
PBP RACER

my springs where set at that i went to 23.8 today it rev alot higer but was doing the same thing....overall with the springs set at 23.8 is 78.31 at the part of the pad that first touches the drum..seems like they are wearing down more than the rest of the pad on the oppsite side from the 1st part that touches it is 77.31...so i have on part of total a 78.32 to a 77.31... how long does it usally take when u hit wot to get up to full speed

Old 01-02-2005

Quote:
my springs where set at that i went to 23.8 today it rev alot higer but was doing the same thing....overall with the springs set at 23.8 is 78.31 at the part of the pad that first touches the drum..seems like they are wearing down more than the rest of the pad on the oppsite side from the 1st part that touches it is 77.31...so i have on part of total a 78.32 to a 77.31... how long does it usally take when u hit wot to get up to full speed
Do you ahve a 2 or 3 shoe clutch? I have a 2 shoe...

My C1 is similar to yours, it feels sluggish then comes on like a freight train. The powerband kicks in around 9,5k. Its the nature of the beast. I think that you have gone too much the other way now. It is difficult to tune the clutch without a tach, you really need one, otherwise its like finding a needle in a haystack. If you compress the spring beyond its tension limit, it is like loading up the suspension in your car, there is no more rebound. It is the same with these springs. I was told that beyond 24mm loads up the spring tension, and beyond 25mm is like jacking your car up on stands, 24mm to 25mm is the range. Its not much it seems. I have a tach and it helps eliminate the guess work. Just start all over and reset in the middle at 24.5mm, and measure the total diameter, the distance between the pad and the drum should be 1 to 1.2mm.

Old 01-02-2005
PBP RACER

at my thinest over all i have 2.35 distance at my thickest i have 1.32 distancethats with my springs set at 24.58 so what do u have done to yours and how much do u weigh...from the vid that jimmer got i want mine to run like his

Old 01-02-2005

Quote:
at my thinest over all i have 2.35 distance at my thickest i have 1.32 distancethats with my springs set at 24.58 so what do u have done to yours and how much do u weigh...from the vid that jimmer got i want mine to run like his
It sounds like that one of your pads has worn more than the other, your springs are equal?. I think Jimmer pulls up on the bars and leans back a little, take another look... I weigh 185.

Old 01-02-2005
PBP RACER

yep all is equal imma sand the pads and equal them out!!!

Old 01-03-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

Thumbs up

ok set spring tension too 23.45.. ok another factor with upgrade is have you replaced clutch drum?
From jimmers C1 vid it was going but my bike sounds/moves better an pulls some serious wheelies with ease i'm 14 stone...running polini clutch

Old 01-03-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

did you replace the clutch drum yet? if not, maybe ur drum sucks and it's not 80mm all the way around. If you already have the new drum, you should set the clutch to engage around 8400-9600 RPM. I have mines set at 8900. I'm 6'2 and bout 205lbs. My clutch measurment is about 23.5mm

Old 01-03-2005
PBP RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by triks
wheelies with ease i'm 14 stone...running polini clutch
Man, your bike must haul a$$ with you on it. I picked up 14 stones from the drive way and they were only 5 lbs. Exactly how heavy are rocks in the UK?

Old 01-03-2005
PBP RACER

it was a whole kit like the one dc mini moto sells.. and i tried loweren the springs to 23.80 it didnt help any at all

Old 01-03-2005
PBP SENIOR MEMBER

get a tach to set the clutch. If u keep trying this trial and error stuff ur bound to heat up the pads and wear then out fast from premature engagments. The clutch needs to engage at about 9k, where as the stocker engaged at 8000-8200rpm.

Old 01-03-2005
PBP RACER

where can i fine a tach that wont break me!!! i used to have a digatron when i raced go karts but i sold my whole operation

Old 01-03-2005
Retired Mod and Racer

ask around at the kart shops, i found a used mychron lite mcr for $20