PBP newbie - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
PBP newbie

Hi,totally fresh to mini bikes.
It all started,i was given a cag non runner and I bought a second cag to use as spares so I could make one bike from 2.
Well,I have 2 daughters age 8 and 10 so I sorted out both cags so they would have one each!
then i had a go myself(i was a former biker for 15 years) and ended up buying myself a blata b1 rep which just is not ready for use yet but soon it will.
Hope I can get advice here to keep these bikes going here in ireland
jak_e_lee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,620
Re: PBP newbie

Welcome to the forum..

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece


CAM2 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018
Re: PBP newbie

I have a 50cc W/C C1, and 39cc air cooled blata clone bikes. First thing you do is take off the pull start housing on the right side of the engine, to see if the water O ring belt is still on, and turn the pump pulley to see if its frozen.

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....
EPR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
Re: PBP newbie

My blata rep had been laid up a while and yes,I took off the casing and the belt was off and pump stuck but it freed up easily,I refitted the belt,drilled a view hole in the casing and painted a marker on the WP pulley for future reference.
Im just trying to get it all ready for use at the minute.The next thing it needs is a new dual cable front lever and then its all ok.
Price,picked up the b1,a box of spares(sprockets,chain,gaskets) set of slicks,set of intermediates and pair of kneesliders 140 uk.
the cags,got one give to me,other cag I bought as the people lost the key but that was easy resolved and it cost 30
All 3 bikes all running well now so cheap kicks!

Last edited by jak_e_lee; 08-08-2018 at 03:22 AM.
jak_e_lee is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
Re: PBP newbie

Only other plans for the blata in the winter is to repair / paint the seat unit,it has a crack and a hole in it and also to paint the rims black but I will do this over the winter months and one of the cags is to be painted as a gsxr streetfighter.
Any ideas guys where to buy foam seat pad for the blata rep?

Last edited by jak_e_lee; 08-08-2018 at 03:30 AM.
jak_e_lee is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,620
Re: PBP newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak_e_lee View Post
Only other plans for the blata in the winter is to repair / paint the seat unit,it has a crack and a hole in it and also to paint the rims black but I will do this over the winter months and one of the cags is to be painted as a gsxr streetfighter.
Any ideas guys where to buy foam seat pad for the blata rep?

It would be easier to buy self adheisive foam sheets and making your own..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foam-Shee...75.c100623.m-1

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece


CAM2 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018
Re: PBP newbie

Never start that bike without a working pump or no water. The cyld compression gasket is a rubber O ring, and will be ruined, already happen to me. I started my 50cc C1 with no water for 15 sec. and it ruined the O ring. When my pump shaft bearings froze it ruined the pump shaft seal and the engine filled up with water. The worst part is you have to remove the engine and split the cases to fix the pump. I used SKF bearings on the crankshaft and pump shaft and Dupont red shaft seal. That's why I like the Polini engine, cause the pump is outside where you can see it turning.

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....

Last edited by EPR; 08-09-2018 at 01:47 PM.
EPR is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
Re: PBP newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPR View Post
Never start that bike without a working pump or no water. The cyld compression gasket is a rubber O ring, and will be ruined, already happen to me. I started my 50cc C1 with no water for 15 sec. and it ruined the O ring. When my pump shaft bearings froze it ruined the pump shaft seal and the engine filled up with water. The worst part is you have to remove the engine and split the cases to fix the pump. I used SKF bearings on the crankshaft and pump shaft and Dupont red shaft seal. That's why I like the Polini engine, cause the pump is outside where you can see it turning.
Yes bud. I have drilled a view hole in my casing and marked the pumps pulley with paint so I can look in and see it turning when I start the bike. I had it a very brief spin the other night,first time on it and it can really move for 39cc!
It seems to be one fast bike in comparison to my fastest cag.I have a cag here that will pull 40mph and its all standard cag
jak_e_lee is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018
Re: PBP newbie

Water cooled bikes have more compression and horsepower.

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....
EPR is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
Re: PBP newbie

Current bikes I have,all 3 of them cost me 170 in total
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3215.jpg (541.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3213.jpg (587.6 KB, 5 views)
jak_e_lee is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,620
Re: PBP newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak_e_lee View Post
Current bikes I have,all 3 of them cost me 170 in total
Nice starter collection..........Any mods on them yet?

Welcome to the forum............

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece


CAM2 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
Re: PBP newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
Nice starter collection..........Any mods on them yet?

Welcome to the forum............
No,all are standard but the red cag is to get a makeover for my daughter during the winter.
Frame and wheels are going satin black,keeping the naked look to it and painting in blue/white gsxr colour scheme and fitting a pair of small round battery lamps to the front.Possibly may cut the frame at the swing arm to raise the rear end slightly and re weld and brase it at that point just to give it a mean stance.
1/4 turn throttle also going on too.
This cag actually goes really well pulling 40 on its standard engine.
My blata rep,its the standard bike but needs a seat panel repair/re paint which i can do and the frame will most likley get a gloss black repaint...paints my thing as im a car painter by trade.
The blata rep came to me as a naked bike although the previous owner had ran it without the fairing but we cleaned it up and re fitted it yesterday,repaired the lugs holding it together with sheet steel and rivets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3220.jpg (578.0 KB, 5 views)

Keep er lit

Last edited by jak_e_lee; 08-19-2018 at 07:33 AM.
jak_e_lee is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,620
Re: PBP newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak_e_lee View Post
No,all are standard but the red cag is to get a makeover for my daughter during the winter.
Frame and wheels are going satin black,keeping the naked look to it and painting in blue/white gsxr colour scheme and fitting a pair of small round battery lamps to the front.Possibly may cut the frame at the swing arm to raise the rear end slightly and re weld and brase it at that point just to give it a mean stance.
1/4 turn throttle also going on too.
This cag actually goes really well pulling 40 on its standard engine.
My blata rep,its the standard bike but needs a seat panel repair/re paint which i can do and the frame will most likley get a gloss black repaint...paints my thing as im a car painter by trade.
The blata rep came to me as a naked bike although the previous owner had ran it without the fairing but we cleaned it up and re fitted it yesterday,repaired the lugs holding it together with sheet steel and rivets
As the saying goes..."Theres time for everything" only apples for few things...This is one that fits in the category..Theres always time for mods..

Very nice job refitting the defuncted bodykit.....{First mod on the bike.}

Sometimes you can get away with using a plastic welder tool to repair the broken plastic like on the Blata rep...I snapped the rear off my evil wasp cag before stretching it and I used thin aluminum flashing and fiberglass resin to fix it......It worked well but added like 1-2 lbs to the body which reduced vibes alot in the seat area.....LOL..Ill post pics if interested in how I did it..

Never use a product called ShooGoo or anything thet contains methyl-ethyl ketones as MEK softens chinese plastic into a rubber-like state thats hard to get to resolidify....LOL

Some cags definately have more power than others....Theres like 30 different manufacturers and like 6 different cylinder manufactureres and all 6 dont even cast their cylinders exactly the same....

I call it chinese pot luck...........LOL

One time when I did my 4 but ended up being a 7 cag project build-up thread back in 2011 I bought a cag from a kid that claimed his cag did almost 40mph with his 90lb self on it with a 7tth front and a 55tth rear sprocket...

I was a bit doubting at first that the thing would even have the slightest bit of power in the takeoff...The kid pulls it from the garage looking like super dooper busted up crap,pulls it two times it fires up,,he jumps on it and goes down the block with a pretty effortless & speedy takeoff then does a flyby...

I couldnt verify the 40mph but he was moving definately above 35mph so I gave him his dough and took it home...I was taking it home regardless but wasnt gonna give him the $50...lol

Keep up the good work and get out there and run those babys....

Take care.

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece



Last edited by CAM2; 08-19-2018 at 09:41 AM.
CAM2 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
Re: PBP newbie

Yes,always room to make things better and improve on the original design.
the fast cag actually came to us from the brother in law who gave it to us and if I didnt take it,it was going to the tip so we got it home and it needed some tlc to get going.Took of the carb,cleaned it out,new plug and it fired up but we still had no exhaust,foot pegs or chain for it so,got the new pipe and chain,I got some steel pitbike pegs,the ones that look like bear traps,a bit of time on the welder(15mins) and a few frame mods,they went straight on and are a strong job.
after the build with new pipe,this cag did sound really sparkly and fast revving,it just did not sound like a cheapie bike so,its a keeper and the one for the modification journey.
Its the red/black bike in the photo.
The green cag came after the red bike and it is way slower,sounds very different.It is a total different step down from the red cag.
If I am being honest,i had bikes for over 15 years,from 250 honda,500 suzuki,750 honda and then when the kids came along,I thought that was me done with bikes until the first mini bike came on the scene back in june and having used the cags with the kids...im hooked and its a fun thing me and my kids all enjoy together....i just need to get one now for my wife lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3215.jpg (541.3 KB, 2 views)

Keep er lit

Last edited by jak_e_lee; 08-19-2018 at 09:59 AM.
jak_e_lee is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,620
Re: PBP newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak_e_lee View Post
Yes,always room to make things better and improve on the original design.
the fast cag actually came to us from the brother in law who gave it to us and if I didnt take it,it was going to the tip so we got it home and it needed some tlc to get going.Took of the carb,cleaned it out,new plug and it fired up but we still had no exhaust,foot pegs or chain for it so,got the new pipe and chain,I got some steel pitbike pegs,the ones that look like bear traps,a bit of time on the welder(15mins) and a few frame mods,they went straight on and are a strong job.
after the build with new pipe,this cag did sound really sparkly and fast revving,it just did not sound like a cheapie bike so,its a keeper and the one for the modification journey.
Its the red/black bike in the photo.
The green cag came after the red bike and it is way slower,sounds very different.It is a total different step down from the red cag.
If I am being honest,i had bikes for over 15 years,from 250 honda,500 suzuki,750 honda and then when the kids came along,I thought that was me done with bikes until the first mini bike came on the scene back in june and having used the cags with the kids...im hooked and its a fun thing me and my kids all enjoy together....i just need to get one now for my wife lol
If you study the older cags versing the newer cags youll notice differences like 7/8" OD headpipes on the older models and 3/4" OD headpipes with EPA spark arrestors welded inside on the newer models....The newer models manufactured after 2009 are riddled with EPA estrictors that need to be modified , removed or replaced...

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece


CAM2 is offline  
Super Moderator
 
MrKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 39
Posts: 1,807
Garage
the old Cags also had better made flywheels with a bit taller fins the clutch Bell was a little bit thicker smaller piston cylinder with no decompression notch the old CAG engine actually reved higher the older carburetors were better as well where the fuel Inlet line was drilled properly

Faster then a speeding E Revo
MrKitty is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
jak_e_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
Garage
Re: PBP newbie

short vid of the rep on the open road

Keep er lit
jak_e_lee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome