Daughter Bought A Bike - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Daughter Bought A Bike

A few weeks back, my 12 yr old daughter found a Craigslist posting for a pocket bike in Toledo. I was able to talk the guy down to $40. I have nearly no experience with small engines and even less with pocket bikes. The seller bid on a storage unit that had a bunch of bikes, go karts and other outdoor equipment.

This bike is in pretty bad shape. I don't know how old it is. From the looks of it, the original owner probably crashed it. We were able to get it started. It didn't stay started for very long. We took apart the engine just to see how it worked. She was curious. I bought a cheap 47cc engine on Amazon. It actually didn't fit the space at all.

First, it was actually too narrow. The sprocket on the engine didn't reach the outer sprocket on the bike. That's when we realized the #25 chain we ordered for this engine was smaller than what was on the previous engine. I would have to replace the sprocket to get it to fit. I returned that engine in hopes that I could find a forum where someone could help us figure out what the heck is going on.

I don't know how much welding the original owner did to this bike, but I can tell he did some.

Another thing I noticed is it seems as though the 47 and 49cc engines connect their exhaust from the bottom in the front. The engines I found don't seem to be as wide as the original. The bottom of some of these bikes seem to be slanted in order to accommodate that type of exhaust . This bike has a flat plate at the bottom. I have no idea what size engine fits this bike.

Last edited by Jus260; 08-25-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Jus260 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Does this board have moderation? There is a lot of spam in this forum.
Jus260 is offline  
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike




Last edited by Jus260; 08-25-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Jus260 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike









Jus260 is offline  
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018
Super Moderator
 
MrKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 38
Posts: 1,248
Garage
They revamped the site a couple weeks ago and obviously they removed some Captchas from some critical areas of the website and ever since then the Koreans have taken over the place and the moderators come in every morning and delete the spam but it seems like whoever is behind website development hasn't gotten around to fixing the problem...

Faster then a speeding E Revo

Last edited by MrKitty; 08-25-2018 at 09:16 PM.
MrKitty is offline  
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018
Super Moderator
 
MrKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 38
Posts: 1,248
Garage
here is the engine and transmishon that fits your bike

95% of the time it's the Carby that goes bad if you still have it you can put it back together and get a new Carby for 10$

https://m.ebay.com/itm/49cc-Engine-w...8AAOSw-jxZdai6

Faster then a speeding E Revo

Last edited by MrKitty; 08-25-2018 at 10:02 PM.
MrKitty is offline  
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKitty View Post
here is the engine and transmishon that fits your bike

95% of the time it's the Carby that goes bad if you still have it you can put it back together and get a new Carby for 10$

https://m.ebay.com/itm/49cc-Engine-w...8AAOSw-jxZdai6

Thanks for your response. The original engine is in so many pieces that I doubt we could get it back together. She primarily did it herself. I wasn't there to monitor it. We actually did take apart the carb and clean it. The carb actually was pretty clean by the time we reinstalled it.

What's the difference between this type of 49cc engine and other 49cc engines, or are you saying that any 49cc will fit this bike?

So you have any suggestions on what to do for replacing the plastic? It's all either spray painted or cracked. I think she would be happy with just getting it running but I would like to at least make it look functional.
Jus260 is offline  
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Looks like your daughter bought herself a Cateye model FS-529 49cc piston ported 2 stroker engine with 3:1 reduction transmission with jackshaft drive..

Theres not that many pieces to a single cylinder small CC chinese 2 stroker....Its basically a backpack blower engine on two wheels..........

The piston ported engine is the only engine that will fit plug and play inless you want a full blown project on your hands shoehorning-in in a Harbor Freight engine then your daughter will be afraid of it...LOL...

Anyways the engine that comes on it is 1.9hp which is plenty of power for a beginner...next step should be a Yammie PW80...

You can also adapt a 40cc 4 stroker to work on it............

Welcome to the site and Good Luck with it...

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece

Last edited by CAM2; 08-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.
CAM2 is offline  
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018
Super Moderator
 
MrKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 38
Posts: 1,248
Garage
the engine and transmishon combo I sent you a link for is bolt and play...

The Carbys on them engines have a pump and flappers in them that get old and hard then they won't pump fuel any more that's why the engin ran for a few sec then shut down...

the piston port engine will run forever as long as you feed it 2 stroke oil spark plugs and a new carberator every few years it's so simple there is nothing to really go wrong...

You can order a gasket set and some new rings a carby put that engine back together and it will run I have seen people do some really bad stuped stuff to them over the years and somehow they can still run ok lol.

as for the plastics your going to want to try and repair them you can use a fiberglass boat repair kit repair them on the inside and repaint them that bike is old and they don't make new plastics it's basicly go for the naked street fighter look or get creative with whatever you can find

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Kit-...pe!46227!US!-1

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-43...rd!46227!US!-1

these parts will basicly make your engine rebuilt

Faster then a speeding E Revo

Last edited by MrKitty; 08-26-2018 at 12:02 PM.
MrKitty is offline  
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
Looks like your daughter bought herself a Cateye model FS-529 49cc piston ported 2 stroker engine with 3:1 reduction transmission with jackshaft drive..

Theres not that many pieces to a single cylinder small CC chinese 2 stroker....Its basically a backpack blower engine on two wheels..........

The piston ported engine is the only engine that will fit plug and play inless you want a full blown project on your hands shoehorning-in in a Harbor Freight engine then your daughter will be afraid of it...LOL...

Anyways the engine that comes on it is 1.9hp which is plenty of power for a beginner...next step should be a Yammie PW80...

You can also adapt a 40cc 4 stroker to work on it............

Welcome to the site and Good Luck with it...
Thanks for your response as well. The truth is, she actually wanted to start with a Predator 2 stroke engine. I didn't want to go through the whole thing of paying another $100 plus who knows what for the clutch.

Right now she has every screw out of this bike. I don't know at this point what goes to the engine and what doesn't. I don't know if I should try to find an engine that fits or attempt to rebuild this one.
Jus260 is offline  
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKitty View Post
the engine and transmishon combo I sent you a link for is bolt and play...

The Carbys on them engines have a pump and flappers in them that get old and hard then they won't pump fuel any more that's why the engin ran for a few sec then shut down...

the piston port engine will run forever as long as you feed it 2 stroke oil spark plugs and a new carberator every few years it's so simple there is nothing to really go wrong...

You can order a gasket set and some new rings a carby put that engine back together and it will run I have seen people do some really bad stuped stuff to them over the years and somehow they can still run ok lol.

as for the plastics your going to want to try and repair them you can use a fiberglass boat repair kit repair them on the inside and repaint them that bike is old and they don't make new plastics it's basicly go for the naked street fighter look or get creative with whatever you can find

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Kit-...pe!46227!US!-1

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-43...rd!46227!US!-1

these parts will basicly make your engine rebuilt
When I went to the link you forwarded yesterday, it said the width of that engine was I think 9 or 10 inches. When I measured the current engine, it came to about 12 inches wide without the pull cord. I wasn't sure if that was still wide enough.

I'd prefer something I could just install but I may give rebuilding this thing a try. Thanks for the additional links.
Jus260 is offline  
Super Moderator
 
MrKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 38
Posts: 1,248
Garage
This is because the engine you have has the electric starter on the pull start side the electric starters are known to be highly problematic ( a worthless piece of junk that everyone removes )this is why I sent you a link to the version that doesn't have the electric starter...

Yours may have already been gutted...

If you want one with the electric start you're going to have to Source it yourself I'm not going to be responsible for getting someone into something that's just going to break after a few rides and you're going to have to wire it all up yourself and add a battery and a regulator solenoid and a whole nother headache of a mess that you probably are not going to want to deal with...

Here is the wiring diagram just in case you do want it lol...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pocket bike start kill.jpg (100.4 KB, 5 views)

Faster then a speeding E Revo

Last edited by MrKitty; 08-27-2018 at 06:54 PM.
MrKitty is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus260 View Post
Thanks for your response as well. The truth is, she actually wanted to start with a Predator 2 stroke engine. I didn't want to go through the whole thing of paying another $100 plus who knows what for the clutch.

Right now she has every screw out of this bike. I don't know at this point what goes to the engine and what doesn't. I don't know if I should try to find an engine that fits or attempt to rebuild this one.
/
Predator two stroke engine?...You mean 212cc 4 stroker?//

Beleive me when I say its a project thats gonna take time and alot more than the $170 for clutch and engine...

Thr HF engine is 40lbs compared to the 10lbs the two stroke engine and trans that comes off of it,,,hydraulic forks,rear shock an hydraulic brakes would hqve to be added for safety........When alls said n done you couldve bought a used PW80 semi auto 3 speed........

If your just learning this I would start by buying and mounting the engine and trans combo then aligning the chain n brake calipers etc si she can atleast get her first ride on it before halloween...

With a dremel and about $59 bux you can modify the engine clutch and flywheel plus buy a rocket key,velocity stack,hp airfilter and rev pie exhaust to deliver twice the hp and twice the torque as she gets more familiar...

Good Luck

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece

Last edited by CAM2; 08-27-2018 at 07:32 PM.
CAM2 is offline  
Super Moderator
 
MrKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 38
Posts: 1,248
Garage
I 100% agree with CAM2 by the time you get the engine centrifugal clutch chain sprockets jackshaft bearings weld on a new mounting plate and reinforce the frame new rear shock upgrade the brakes and add all the other little parts you're going to be into it more than if you just bought one of those Coleman mini bikes new...

The other problem is with that heavy 4-stroke on there it really messes up the weight distribution basically you end up building yourself death trap which is too scary to ride... we're not talking about scary as in powerful scary as in wanting to tip over and swerve all over the road

Faster then a speeding E Revo

Last edited by MrKitty; 08-28-2018 at 10:27 AM.
MrKitty is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKitty View Post
I 100% agree with CAM2 by the time you get the engine centrifugal clutch chain sprockets jackshaft bearings weld on a new mounting plate and reinforce the frame new rear shock upgrade the brakes and add all the other little parts you're going to be into it more than if you just bought one of those Coleman mini bikes new...

The other problem is with that heavy 4-stroke on there it really messes up the weight distribution basically you end up building yourself death trap which is too scary to ride... we're not talking about scary as in powerful scary as in wanting to tip over and swerve all over the road

Weve had a few grown-up members hurt pretty badly...One guy only used a 4hp 2 stroke snowblower engine and it pogosticked him right off the bike causing him to drag both knees on the asphalt before he decided to let go and do a double palm grinder with a face plantula rolling in and out of a slight dip in the road at full speed....

An engine similar to the one on the modified Manco converted into a methanol huffing drag bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1277764-e25e-419b-8da1-14c7c02f5d5a_zpsk1rsfv4y.JPG (439.8 KB, 4 views)

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece

Last edited by CAM2; 08-28-2018 at 08:16 PM.
CAM2 is offline  
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKitty View Post
This is because the engine you have has the electric starter on the pull start side the electric starters are known to be highly problematic ( a worthless piece of junk that everyone removes )this is why I sent you a link to the version that doesn't have the electric starter...

Yours may have already been gutted...

If you want one with the electric start you're going to have to Source it yourself I'm not going to be responsible for getting someone into something that's just going to break after a few rides and you're going to have to wire it all up yourself and add a battery and a regulator solenoid and a whole nother headache of a mess that you probably are not going to want to deal with...

Here is the wiring diagram just in case you do want it lol...

Uh no. But thanks for the clarification.
Jus260 is offline  
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
/
Predator two stroke engine?...You mean 212cc 4 stroker?//

Beleive me when I say its a project thats gonna take time and alot more than the $170 for clutch and engine...

Thr HF engine is 40lbs compared to the 10lbs the two stroke engine and trans that comes off of it,,,hydraulic forks,rear shock an hydraulic brakes would hqve to be added for safety........When alls said n done you couldve bought a used PW80 semi auto 3 speed........

If your just learning this I would start by buying and mounting the engine and trans combo then aligning the chain n brake calipers etc si she can atleast get her first ride on it before halloween...

With a dremel and about $59 bux you can modify the engine clutch and flywheel plus buy a rocket key,velocity stack,hp airfilter and rev pie exhaust to deliver twice the hp and twice the torque as she gets more familiar...

Good Luck
No it wasn't the 212. We already have one of those on a go kart that we can't get running for more than 10 minutes at a time. Its possible that it can be seen in the pictures above. Actually we had had 3 of them. I actually returned the engine twice not realizing it is possible to destroy a clutch in ten minutes. That's another story.

I'm pretty sure it's this one:


https://m.harborfreight.com/3-hp-79c...epa-69733.html

We saw it in the store. I didn't want to buy it because I didn't have a coupon and it was already the same price that I paid for the 212 and it still needed a clutch. Considering I obviously don't know what the he'll I'm doing with clutches, I wanted to wait to find something that had a clutch pre installed.

And no we don't need something with a ridiculous amount of power. We just need to get this thing running and running at a safe speed for a kid.
]
Jus260 is offline  
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
Weve had a few grown-up members hurt pretty badly...One guy only used a 4hp 2 stroke snowblower engine and it pogosticked him right off the bike causing him to drag both knees on the asphalt before he decided to let go and do a double palm grinder with a face plantula rolling in and out of a slight dip in the road at full speed....

An engine similar to the one on the modified Manco converted into a methanol huffing drag bike

I think I confused everyone. The intention is not to make this bike ultra powerful. We don't even live in a neighborhood. We have 3 partially wooded acres on a private drive. I'm not to the point where I want them riding on the road yet. She will either be in the grass or on the trail in the wooded part of our land until I can get someone to come back to clear some more land.
Jus260 is offline  
Super Moderator
 
MrKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 38
Posts: 1,248
Garage
all you need is to fix the stock engine and enjoy or get a new stock engine and enjoy the harbor fright engines are not a ez option for pocket bikes they are to wide and heavy pocket bike steal is not strong enuff to support them they throw the bike off balenc the chain is the wrong size for the clutches you can get half the time they spin in the wrong direction the list goes on...
it sounds to me like you wanted a mini bike but you ended up with a pocket bike here are some pictures of mini bikes for reference notice how the chain ring and brakes are all flipped and how wide mini bikes are...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-11-27_16h43_33_1535725545604.jpg (36.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 87bd7a8d-6f8f-486b-8307-c4d09175b810_1_1535725558846.eb69e0a52213cc61d3f5dadcba491d35.jpeg (39.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg images_1535725574547.jpeg (6.0 KB, 2 views)

Faster then a speeding E Revo
MrKitty is offline  
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Daughter Bought A Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
Looks like your daughter bought herself a Cateye model FS-529 49cc piston ported 2 stroker engine with 3:1 reduction transmission with jackshaft drive..

Theres not that many pieces to a single cylinder small CC chinese 2 stroker....Its basically a backpack blower engine on two wheels..........

The piston ported engine is the only engine that will fit plug and play inless you want a full blown project on your hands shoehorning-in in a Harbor Freight engine then your daughter will be afraid of it...LOL...

Anyways the engine that comes on it is 1.9hp which is plenty of power for a beginner...next step should be a Yammie PW80...

You can also adapt a 40cc 4 stroker to work on it............

Welcome to the site and Good Luck with it...
Just out of curiosity, would you say these parts for this bike?

racemotorparts.com
Jus260 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome