Just got an X7, need advice - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Just got an X7, need advice

I picked up a beat up X7 at a yard sale today and I'd like to get it running again. I've already searched around already to try to find information and compiled a parts list including
  • Pull Start
  • Key Switch
  • Gas Tank with cap and fuel lines
  • Spark Plug
  • Air filter
Is there anything else I'll need to get it running? Also any advice or recommendations would be helpful, thank you.






newX7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014
Bicycle with Engine
 
flattie42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 881
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Nice find, the frame still seems to be in pretty good shape.... Indeed you need a new pullstarter, starter catch (pawl), and probably a starter bolt.... I would go over all the bolts, make sure they're tight, lube the chain, clean out the old gas tank, clean the carb, look for a fuel line kit at a lawn mower shop, possibly a carb rebuild kit...... As for replacing the key switch, instead you can take the wires coming from the engine and plug the end into the wires coming from the throttle twist grip housing and use the button as a key switch..... Welcome to the forum and good luck!
flattie42 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Welcome aboard, nice find, how much did you pay?? Well, you have no way to start it. It will run on its own, gut the starter/generator, break the magnets out of the housing. Take the wiring and stuff off the center shaft. You want an empty house and a shaft with a starter pawl and starter cover w/ rope, and an M8, 8mm nut to hold the pawl on the shaft.
There are 2 kinds, I like the round pawl w/ Moon cover w/ 2 steel pins. If you get an 8mm x 1.25 nut and maybe washer you could put the nut on the shaft and use an air or electric drill to turn the engine over to see if it run. Open up the carb piston w/ the throttle cam on top, put a little 2 stroke gas down the carb, hit it quick with the drill, see what happens.
Parts are pretty cheap on eBay, look under 43, 49cc pocket bike parts, or X7 PB Parts. There is SP4Less and PB Parts in Florida that have parts.
On the world wide web scooterparts4less and pocketbikeparts both with a .com on the end. Have fun.

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....

Last edited by EPR; 02-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.
EPR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014
Bicycle with Engine
 
flattie42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 881
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

There is a way you can jump-start the engine off a car battery.... But I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind going through the process EPR stated by gutting the e-starter afterwards.... On second thought, probably couldn't hurt to try, looks pretty rusted up in there, lol.
flattie42 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

That bike needs a return line from the carb back to the gastank...Yours seems to be busted and removed.............You can get a fuelline kit from HomeDepot.
CAM2 is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
 
N!pples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 42
Posts: 2,445
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Quote:
There is a way you can jump-start the engine off a car battery.... But I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind going through the process EPR stated by gutting the e-starter afterwards.... On second thought, probably couldn't hurt to try
Don't do this.. Too many amps will fry the brushes and the electric start might never work again... Only try it if you plan on gutting the starter..... And I'd only do that if you were really worried about weight or something silly....

N!pples is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

How do we know the brushes even work?? I believe 2 brushes start the engine and when the engine is running the other 2 charge the battery thru the ac/dc wire box. Don't look like you have any lights?? With a starter you need a new battery and a charger and so on. First, I would see if it runs.

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....
EPR is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014 Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Thanks for all the advice! I pulled apart the engine and discovered it needed a new flywheel so I'm in the process of replacing that and all the gaskets and cleaning the inside of the engine. I already found some of the parts websites through my searches of the site but I ordered the pull start and starter pawl that don't fit together so I reordered the parts that do fit. I only paid $20 for it but I can see this can get expensive fast! Haha I'm not actually worried about the electric start because the entire electrical system including the start button is missing, so I'll probably end up gutting it. I'm hoping to have the engine back together by this weekend and then I'll start rebuilding the carb and re-greasing the transmission. What oil will I need to put in the transmission though?
newX7 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

That's not a transmission it is a 3 to 1 reduction box, it's there to gear down the engine rpms and to get the outer trans 8mm gear back so when the rear arms go up & down the chain don't rub on the front of the arms.
I put bearing grease on the inner chain and gears. You might be able to clean everything on the chain & in the box, put 100cc of 20wt. oil and seal the cover back on with gasket maker, CAM2 would know.

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....
EPR is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Reviving a looong dead thread in hopes of getting this bike running again.

To give a very brief update, I picked the bike up in high school as a fun project. After investing a lot of time and way too much money in it, the bike fired but didn't run, then broke the pull start. I got frustrated and put it to the side. In the time since, I've finished college and finally have enough time, space, and patience (hopefully) to get it running.

Unfortunately in the past few years and a couple moves, I seem to have lost some of the parts. This leads me to my questions:

1) When I got it, the flywheel was broken. I replaced it, got the bike to fire, then let it sit. I can't get a spark now and it appears the flywheel has demagnetized. Is there a way to re-magnitize it or should I just replace it? Additionally, is there a way to test the magneto? I have good resistance between the high tension lead and then body but I wasn't sure if there were additional connections that could be tested.

2) I gutted the electric start and now just have the threaded end of the crankshaft coming out of the engine. Can I just put a nut or two on the end and spin it with a drill to start? If so, does anyone know the thread pitch of the nut I would need?

I'm tempted to just get a new engine, but I would much rather have the satisfaction of repairing what I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190403_170528-2016x980.jpg (453.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190409_111832.jpg (523.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190403_170528.jpg (534.7 KB, 5 views)
newX7 is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newX7 View Post
Reviving a looong dead thread in hopes of getting this bike running again.

To give a very brief update, I picked the bike up in high school as a fun project. After investing a lot of time and way too much money in it, the bike fired but didn't run, then broke the pull start. I got frustrated and put it to the side. In the time since, I've finished college and finally have enough time, space, and patience (hopefully) to get it running.

Unfortunately in the past few years and a couple moves, I seem to have lost some of the parts. This leads me to my questions:

1) When I got it, the flywheel was broken. I replaced it, got the bike to fire, then let it sit. I can't get a spark now and it appears the flywheel has demagnetized. Is there a way to re-magnitize it or should I just replace it? Additionally, is there a way to test the magneto? I have good resistance between the high tension lead and then body but I wasn't sure if there were additional connections that could be tested.

2) I gutted the electric start and now just have the threaded end of the crankshaft coming out of the engine. Can I just put a nut or two on the end and spin it with a drill to start? If so, does anyone know the thread pitch of the nut I would need?

I'm tempted to just get a new engine, but I would much rather have the satisfaction of repairing what I have.
I don't know how you mounted the flywheel to a smaller diameter nub but it looks all wrong..Does the crank have the same threaded end on both sides….?

Buy a new engine it appears someone may of taken the engine fully apart and put the crank in backwards stretching the absolute heck out of the smaller diameter airseal they put on the pullstarter side also to mention you have an engine with the 4 bolt intake making it a 42.5mm x 34mm stroke 46cc engine and not a 49cc engine those X7's came with....




Heres a picture of a stock crank..notice the smaller diameter crank journal.


Looking at your original pictures you had the e-starter mounted on backwards too...……

When mounted right they look like this when the pullstarter and pawl are removed...…..





Good Luck

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece

Last edited by CAM2; 1 Week Ago at 12:01 AM.
CAM2 is offline  
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Yeah, I bought one of them 42.5mm cyld, sold as a 49cc, from PCC motors years back, I was not happy, but I put a Boosted306 ported 44mm modified cyld on it any way, so it was no biggie. I would think seriously about a new engine. For about $129 you can find a pull start only engine, no generator housing. Save that engine for parts. I am working on a 43cc engine with a Cag full circle crank modified to fit the small seal side. Using a CAM2 43cc chopped and ported and modified cyld and a gold alum alloy Cag hp head. Like this 49cc piston port engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Custom 49cc piston port1.JPG (413.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Red Head PP Engine4.jpg (375.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pro Jet on Zenoah4.jpg (240.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg HP Piston Port Eng.jpg (506.7 KB, 5 views)

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....

Last edited by EPR; 1 Week Ago at 10:24 PM.
EPR is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPR View Post
Yeah, I bought one of them 42.5mm cyld, sold as a 49cc, from PCC motors years back, I was not happy, but I put a Boosted306 ported 44mm modified cyld on it any way, so it was no biggie. I would think seriously about a new engine. For about $129 you can find a pull start only engine, no generator housing. Save that engine for parts. I am working on a 43cc engine with a Cag full circle crank modified to fit the small seal side. Using a CAM2 43cc chopped and ported and modified cyld and a gold alum alloy Cag hp head. Like this 49cc piston port engine.
Yep thats what I was thinking too.. Doing something like you did to your 46cc engine..

The way I see it-it maybe cheaper to just buy a 49cc topend kit and some crankseals also a rockey key to build himself something in the HP range closer to what you're showing...

Those 2 strokers you got are sweet looking too...............

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece

Last edited by CAM2; 1 Week Ago at 12:50 AM.
CAM2 is offline  
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Yes, I would look at all options. Add up parts needed to make it run right compared to a new engine. SP4less might carry a ported 44mm piston port cyld, I saw one somewhere a few months ago. PBU way back had $800 racing P/P engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mitsi Racing Piston Port Eng1.jpg (34.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Mitsi Racing Piston Port Eng2.jpg (38.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Piston Port 2 Piece Head Cyld1.jpg (97.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Piston Port Billet Reed Box1.jpg (108.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Piston Port Billet Reed Box2.jpg (82.2 KB, 1 views)

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....
EPR is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPR View Post
Yes, I would look at all options. Add up parts needed to make it run right compared to a new engine. SP4less might carry a ported 44mm piston port cyld, I saw one somewhere a few months ago. PBU way back had $800 racing P/P engines.
I saw topend kits going for $23.00 shipped and seals for $10..

The best part about having to reopen the engine is he can make extra torque and power by blueprinting the bottomend,,widening and polishing the transferports porting the exhaust/intake and porting the intake manifold to match....

After he refines the tool engine he will have gained close to 2 1/2 hp more than the engine has now and way more uumph......

Best part of it all is he would gain firsthand knowledge and have had done it on his own merits..

Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece
CAM2 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
verified
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Well unfortunately, I think you guys are right. After looking at the engine again, it looks like the last person who tried to work on it had less of an idea than me! As far as I can tell, not only did they put the crankshaft in backwards but they cut threads into the starter side of the crankshaft to thread a nut that now holds on the flywheel.

I have a feeling that between tearing the engine completely down, replacing the crankshaft, flywheel, pull starter, top end, seals, etc, I would probably be better of getting a new engine. Especially since I have no idea if this engine will even run well. I could always port and polish a new engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190410_100617 (1).jpg (511.8 KB, 2 views)
newX7 is offline  
BUILDEM,WRECKEM,REBUILDEM
 
CAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,510
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newX7 View Post
Well unfortunately, I think you guys are right. After looking at the engine again, it looks like the last person who tried to work on it had less of an idea than me! As far as I can tell, not only did they put the crankshaft in backwards but they cut threads into the starter side of the crankshaft to thread a nut that now holds on the flywheel.

I have a feeling that between tearing the engine completely down, replacing the crankshaft, flywheel, pull starter, top end, seals, etc, I would probably be better of getting a new engine. Especially since I have no idea if this engine will even run well. I could always port and polish a new engine.
Looking at the flywheel side it seems that both ends of the crank are threaded so its just a matter of getting the right pullstarter pawl it seems.......


Thats the craziest design Ive ever seen seeings you cant even put a rocket key on that engine.............The flywheel is even screwed on.........LOL





Cut
Up
Stuff
To
Obtain
Masterpiece

Last edited by CAM2; 1 Week Ago at 09:48 PM.
CAM2 is offline  
Re: Just got an X7, need advice

You have one of the few generator housing units with the brushes up front. It has stand offs on top to hold the outer alum ring I believe. SP4Less don't show that ring. might be hard to find.

Empty Pockets Racing: The difficult we do, the impossible takes longer.....
EPR is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome