Pocketbike Forum banner

X15/R32 Viper 110cc Restoration

6K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  Atvrunner2 
#1 · (Edited)
Bike is a R32 Viper (X15) 110cc, 4 speed manual.

It has spark and fuel filter is half full of fuel. Battery is fully charged and the bike turns over no problem but wont start. Carb is newly cleaned and fuel lines are new as well as fuel filter. My fuel line after the filter and going into the carb has an upswing so may need to cut a bit off to level it off or will the fuel pull into the carb still? No pump on these or primer bulb as I've noticed.

One issue is the ignition is on in the "off" position and off in the position to the right of "off" which is not labelled but has a circle icon. Thought wire connectors were backward so swapped them but no turning over or lights at all that way.

#2 · (Edited)
Just because you see a spark does it mean its strong enough under pressure inside the cylinder to fire the mix properly.......

First things I would check is the ohms reading on the stator.....It takes 5 mins with a digital multimeter to do...reading off the red with black stripe [+] aswell as the green [-]at the 2000kohm setting should be 500 +/- 50kohms [450-550kohms]

Next after that would be to do a compression check to make sure the valves arent bent.............

Go over the carb once again....open the bottom screw on the carb bowl to see iF theres gas in the bowl......

put a brand new sparkplug NGK C7HSA...make sure the gap is .027"

If you have to remove the carb and take off the bowel again perform the float restrictor tab removal mod on it by removing the restrictor tab from the bottom of the bowl with a dremel.............

Good Luck

#3 · (Edited)
Checked the stator at the 2K ohms setting on meter (dont have a 2000k setting) with battery connected but ignition off and it reads .365 so 365ohms then?

Fuel is in the float bowl.

Carb mod for the tab is done.

If valves were bent would it turn over smoothly still? Mine turns over smoothly with what sounds like a good exhaust note.

#4 · (Edited)
Checked the stator at the 2K ohms setting on meter (dont have a 2000k setting) with battery connected but ignition off and it reads .365 so 365ohms then?

Fuel is in the float bowl.

Carb mod for the tab is done.

If valves were bent would it turn over smoothly still? Mine turns over smoothly with what sounds like a good exhaust note.
365 ohms isn't good....450-550 ohms is the range,...

A new stator is like $30 bux shipped....you just gotta note the plug type to get the right one..

An engine with a bent valve would turn over pretty smooth...it just won't build enough compression to fire up...

#10 ·
Here's another pic of the float bowl drain where the gas is leaking :
Needle valve not seated or float needs to be adjusted is what a search turned up for the reason it could be leaking but I cleaned carb and put everything back as it was. Should there be a longer hose attached here and where should it be routed if so?

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Theres either foreign trash from ethanol on the needletip or brass seat or the float was knocked out of calibration...

factory float setting is 10*.............

since youll have to reopen the bowl youll want to do the float restrictor tab removal mod by removing the EPA imposed problem with a dremel from the bottom of the floatbowl...

Good Luck

#14 ·
Finally got this running today after not having time the last 2 1/2 years due to other projects. Float was fine, stator fine although reads 351 ohms. Cleaned the carb out again including jets, (syrupy gas/ethanol in the float bowl from sitting) and reset the screws - the air/fuel screw was all the way in so not sure if that was stopping it from starting. Sanded the starter and coil grounds although they didn't look too bad, and put some 94 octane gas in with 0% ethanol (which I will only use from now on). Fired up pretty much right away and it was a beautiful sound! A bit of black smoke the first few minutes as the engine burnt off the fogging oil I had put in while storing the bike. Started a few more times without issue and set the idle.

#17 · (Edited)
That's a turn signal clicker. Green usually means ground on those things more than likely that plug is for the electronic blinker box for the bike model with the LED lighting your bike clearly has the incandescent lighting!!!

That's the beauty of the Chinese wireing plugs that don't go to anything and plugs that are the same let's not forget plugs that have a red wire that plugs into a yellow wire then my favorite 6 wires twisted together and if your lucky it will have a dab of solder holding it together with some China electrical tape then the tape falls off and it looks like someone hacked up the wireing but it was like that from the factory <--- very common with the green ground wires... Tons of bikes have ended up at the dump because of the bad China wireing...

#18 ·
The previous owner stored the bike outside at one time as well so wiring harness labels are mostly missing, and the plastic connectors are brittle - would like to find a supplier for the connectors as many of mine have broken tabs and even worse a few with cracked casing.

Have another question - whats the 2 prong metal tab connector for on the front disc brakes? Took it off a couple of years ago and now don't see a connector to attach to it :

Attachments

#22 ·
Saw another video today of an X15 and noticed the brake lever had nothing connected like mine, I have no lights in the back so guess its an option my bike doesn't have.

Also, the part I had asked about I know noticed is a 1 prong connector with green wire (ground for something) and not a 2 prong connector. Can't find anything it might hook to though.

#23 ·
Alot of guys disconnect it because it makes the bike not start unless the brake is on so if the bike dies you can't restart it well moving or it just has nothing hooked up there lol as your finding out there is no standard to the wireing and the colors don't mean to mutch they just make the wireing harness on a jig with what ever wire they have at the time

#24 ·
Tuned the carb last night and she's running and idling well, did an oil change with Castrol 10W40 4 stroke oil as well.

Is the start button supposed to work as a kill switch as well? It doesn't turn my bike off and neither does pulling the choke on. Only way I could turn it off was closing the petcock I installed and then wait about a half minute or so for the fuel to burn out in the carb.

#26 ·
Back to working on the R32 Viper restoration. On to the gas tank cover which has a piece missing and various cracks. Grafted a piece of plastic in to replace the missing section using zip ties and a soldering iron. Will be using fiberglass drywall seam tape and epoxy to reinforce the cracked areas from behind, then wrapping the tank cover with carbon fiber wrap.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle door

Hood Tire Wheel Sleeve Bicycle

Beige Tints and shades Wood Concrete Carmine

Attachments

Reactions: Atvrunner2
#27 ·
Fixed the tank cover cracks with the fiberglass tape and 2 part epoxy.
Wrapped the tank cover yesterday, took quite a while as it was my first time doing a wrap. Turned out ok, some creases here and there but I'm happy with it overall and it strengthens the old plastic :
Sleeve Comfort Grey Tints and shades Automotive tire
Bag Luggage and bags Personal protective equipment Wire Fashion accessory
Input device Font Gadget Computer hardware Peripheral

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.