Pocketbike Forum banner

Need recommendation for almost 4 year old

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  MrKitty 
#1 ·
Hi all! I don’t know anything about bikes but my 3 year old has been begging me for a “motorcycle” for months (there’s a child maybe 8 in our neighborhood with a dirt bike). Now I purchased a peddle bike in May that he had zero interest in and only wanted to continue on his balance bike. Promised if he can ride a bike I’ll get a “motorcycle”. Kid took off peddling and has been for 2 month. So in my research I’ve found that power wheel “motorcycles” only go 2.5 mph.
He’d hate that. I want to purchase something for his upcoming 4th birthday.
Do you guys have recommendations for 4 year old? I was thinking Razor MX 350 but need a way to control the top speed. Saw a speed throttle part on https://electricscooterparts.com/razormx350.html but do those things work?
Neither his dad or I ride

#2 · (Edited)
I'd bet you if you put a small 250watt 24v electric hub motor with controller and lithium ion battery pack on that peddle bike to make it an e-bike he'd ride it especially if the bike being converted resembles a dirtbike already...…

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...hweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_55

A MX350 is quite tall and very powerful for a 3-4yr old....Id try him out on an 24v PR200 first seeings theyre around 18" tall.They have throttles with limiters for them you can purchase separately and goes faster than 2.5mph out of the box..

One thing Id be concerned with is proper handling and recharging of the battery when it comes to the PR200 or even the MX350......Its very pertinent to follow the steps and rules to recharging SLA batteries also buy the better charger that can perform proper SLA battery maintainance or that e-bike will get very expensive when you're constantly replacing batteries at $30-40 bucks a pop..

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.

#4 · (Edited)
Pretty slick looking bike but with a pretty interesting way to mount Lithium Ion batts making it a bike you cant ride on wet pavement also to mention the smaller model only tops out at 9mph and can only be used for 30-60 minutes whereas the PR200 costs less than half and tops out at atleast 15mph for atleast 45 minutes wide open with a downside of 8-10 hours to recharge the batteries.....

If you ask me I kinda think Harley just glorified the DeWalt drill powered bike design...…

For the pricetag and the hype it should go atleast 20mph or last atleast a few hours without juggling and maintaining 2-3 lithium ion batteries which take atleast an hour each to fully charge and also have a way they need to be recharged..........

The OP would get better pleasure out of converting the same kind of bike I posted with a hub motor or a swingarm motor.....He would have the cheapest version of the most upgraded MX650 there is out there...

The battery on those e-balance bikes kind of looks like the battery on my Rigid 18v cordless tools and my newest battery has Bluetooth capability aswell as have the ability to be locked out and located via smartphone...Its called the "Octane" brand....I just paid $175.00 for a 9.0ah battery and $125 for a 6 amp battery a couple weeks ago...The charger was another $100 too..

It would be great if Harley offered a similar feature...……..

#6 · (Edited)
Videos taken by the product sellers or manufacturers are biasly taken and the guy who posted the vid sounds like a salesman in his comments....I go by reviews aswell as sales projections....

According to the industry it was designed and produced publicly by Stacyc in 2016/17 and sold to Harley recently.Harley didn't even brainchild it...They bought in.

Heres info about the proprietary drive system...Its just cordless angle drill motor and parts with r/c type ESC utilizing an Arduino board with a max rider weight of 75lbs....

The motor and esc is $105.00 ..Throttle is $70 also the 90 degree gearbox housing is $70 and the main gearbox the motor utilizes is $20.Everything has nylon gears inside and resembles the parts of a 90 degree angle cordless drill........LOL.

https://stacyc.com/products/replacement-esc-and-motor-combo-12edrive

Heres the battery and its charger...……The battery is $165.00 and the chargers are sold out...

If I was Harley I would of outsourced them to China like they do to their motorbikes and dress-up parts and then priced them more competitively with Razor then sales would be taking off..You can get a Razor SX350 dirtbike style that can run 15mph for under $300.00 also to mention Razor seems to give a way better warranty as little as it is anyways as I have failed to find any type of implied warranty from Harley..

They mention that you can purchase extra batteries but doesn't say how much they are...I see no mention of the type of charger it uses too so its gotta be an extra expense aswell judging by the asterisk and no explaination of it..….That's how Harley is gonna make a lil extra seeings they are priced the exact same as Stacyc sells them for......LOL

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2075/4793/files/94000760_Rev_2019-03_OM.pdf?8

Wait til Harley sees how fast the demand for motors/esc's,chargers,gearboxes etc will overwhelm them pretty harshly and give them a bad name when they cant supply that demand......LOL

Right about now would be the time to secure some sort of a future if you can grasp the hint.....

Attachments

#9 ·
it just depends what he wants to do

spend the cash and get the bike with the programmable speed control and fast swapping packs

get the small razor and mod it with a throttle limiter that may or may not work and deal with slow charging lead acid batterys

make something

then start looking for a peewee bike becuse it wont be long and he will be on a 50cc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.