Pocketbike Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i was just wondering.. I have a 120v electric motor from a top loading washing machine. Would this be possible to fabricate onto a frame of some sort? Because.. If a 38v can hit 45mph, what can a 120v do? lol. The thing is.. since its from a washing machine, it only has 1 speed. Im guessing this is what the controller is for? But how much would the controller cost for 120v? And how many batteries would i need? I have no idea how the electric bikes work lol all i know is i have a big motor, and im thinking it could go very fast :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You first need to know the difference between ac and dc motors. The washing machine is 120v ac. The scooters run on dc.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
backwoodz is right... that motor is ac. and a whole new ballgame.. i won't even try to mess with that section, unless you have some big bucks... my pockets aren't that deep.... none the less that motor would not last long cause of the apms that you need to draw for your launch... one thing about a comment that was typed about the 36 volt going 45mph... it's not going 45 because it's 36 volts.... it's going that fast because of the gear setup....and this is just theory right now.. it may not even reach 35mph.. but so far i've been correct... my numbers are normally 5mph less then what the top speed would be......:D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i knew it was ac, but i was thinking there might be a way to convert it to dc :) well i know its possible to conver it to dc, but i guess not efficiently to run a scooter with :) oh well, thanks guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
You first need to know the difference between ac and dc motors. The washing machine is 120v ac. The scooters run on dc.
Yeah i knew it was ac, but i was thinking there might be a way to convert it to dc :) well i know its possible to conver it to dc, but i guess not efficiently to run a scooter with :) oh well, thanks guys
Guys, washing machine motors are brushed an are called universal motors• you can run them on DC but will need a controler and some can be had for cheap if your willing to be patient to get them from China but you can get some on Amazon too. Just run two jumper wires from the outer windings separatly, making sure to not to use jumpers across your coil or brush wires. Look up washing machine motor to DC if you need more info.

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
108 Posts
You could probably power it off of two 60v lithium ion battery packs but as for fitment, speed controller and drive set up I have a feeling you're in for quite a bit of customizing.

I know there's fully programmable speed controllers on the market for a pretty penny and I imagine theres some capable of handling the job at hand but i havent researched them much.

Motor fitment will probably require you to cut apart the rear swing arm and reconfigure just about everything. Definitely doable with a welder and materials.

Drive system... well there's no chance a t25 chain would handle that so youre gonna need to get yourself a bigger chain and sprockets. Not sure what your options are there, perhaps sprockets from something like an apollo/ssr/taotao 110cc pit bike? I know they have similar rear wheel assemblies so at least the rear sprocket could be interchangeable maybe.

Wheelie bars... because if you get it to work you'll never keep that front wheel down with that much torque!

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
108 Posts
Dammit I did it again! Hahaha! God I really need to pay more attention to dates on these things. In my defense it was on the top of my electric pocket bike threads when I clicked on it so I thought it was new lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.