Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Spent a vast amount of time reading over the quality information provided by the users of this site. As a result I decided to pick up a minimoto for my son and plan to upgrade. I have upgraded some of the kids powerwheels previously and thought the step up would be fun.

The bike I bought was the cheap Minimoto Advans 18v with 150w motor (MY1016). So I charged it up, inflated tyres and such but it was running far too slow for my son, this results in him wobbling when riding. So I decided its time to upgrade and would appreciate any guidance you guys can give me.

I have had a look around and am consider the following 36v setup:

3 x 12v 7ah batteries
1 x 36v 500w motor (MY1020) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500W-Elec...rike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item2a12602847
1 x 36v 500w speed controller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36v-500W-...oys_Games_Outdoor_Toys_ET&hash=item27bd09923b

The bike at present is a belt drive as stock, I am thinking of changing this too chain drive. Is this an easy job to do? Any recommendations on sprockets/pinions/chain size would be welcome :)

Hopefully you guys can guide me on whether this would work and any tips you may have.

Got 2 young boys (3 and 4 years) so looking out for another bike for them too, thinking a razor PR200.

Appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

Regards
Clinton

·
Registered
248 Posts
1st off that 500 watt motor has a my1020 mounting bracket so you would need to drill new holes to mount it.If you are looking for speed then why use a 36 volt 500 watt motor when you could use a 24 volt 500 watt motor,this way you could get more speed for less of a price(you will still need to drill new holes for to fit the mounting bracket).You will also have to buy a 36 volt twist grip or if you are in to rc you could use a servo tester.As for the chain drive it should not be that hard to change the belt drive to chain drive but I am not shure if you will have to drill new holes in the sprocket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Haydendlp.

Thanks for the fast reply, much appreciated.

So you would suggest going for the 24v 500w motor, I assume still go with 36v controller, throttle and 3x 12v 7ah batteries. The 24v motor wont have any issues working off 36v anyway I guess.

I am keen to change the belt to chain, just doesnt seem quite right have it belt drive lol. Dont mind welding and drilling to get everything squeezed into the little frame, as long as it gives the lil guys a bit more oomph when they twist the throttle. At the moment even at 4 years old they are bored by it going so slow :eek:

Back wheel was rubbing on the drum brake so I have ripped that apart today, will continue stripping it down in prep for the new bits and hopefully have it up and running soon.

Appreciate the input matey.

Regards
Clinton

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the kids will love the mini moto once the mods are installed.One more thing you will need for the mini moto is a 36 volt charger.Also I think that you should choose for the gearing a 72 tooth or 80 tooth rear sprocket so if you wanted to drive it you could. I am exited to see how the project works out for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Did some shopping around and found a 24 Volt 500 Watt 11T 6mm motor (MY1020 bracket as before, so still gotta remount and drill new holes), seems these are like gold dust her in the UK. Next thing is to sort a decent controller and compatible throttle, i would like to keep the variable power so being a bit more picky lol.

Was thinking the easiest option for switching the belt to chain drive could be to replace the back wheel with a pr200 setup. They come stock as chain I believe. any thoughts or experience on that?

Gonna get the boys to help me strip it down today in prep for new parts, I will get some pics of it stock before we begin.

Regards
Clinton

·
Registered
248 Posts
So for the pr200 rear tire it could work great or it could not work at all unless major modifications are done to the frame.I will try to find the tire size of each set of tire a if the 2 tires are the same size you should have no problem swaping the wheels.For the motor,that motor has a 11 tooth 6mm chain so you will need to replace the sprocket with a 11 tooth #25 chain sprocket.I know their was this uk web site that sold controllers and throttles I just need to find the site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah the sprocket will definately need to be changed. Really hope the pr200 wheel fits as that would be a real time saver (tyre size on this bike is 10 x 3.5-4). I found a petrolscooter uk based site that seem to have some some electric parts, unfortunately images/descriptions arent great on the site.

Managed to strip the bike back to the frame anyway so all set for incoming new parts, once I get the shopping list finalised and ordered :D

My boys are lloving getting their hands dirty on this one, although reassembly may have to be a dad only job, with 2 helpers passing parts haha

·
Registered
248 Posts
I viewed some of the controllers on the petrol scooter site and they seem like the 36 volt 600 watt controller would work.If you would be willing to wait/pay for a speed controller, their are many US websites that have good speed controllers but are not that expensive.The mini moto looks very cool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just had another look at the controllers, I actually missed that 600w one lol :eek:

I think in future I will plan better and order from US for sure, unfortunately the boys are in ultra excitement mode and are now hounding me to get this thing going. So I will take the plunge and order up the parts from the UK site this time.

Gotta say you have been a great help mate, credit to this site for sure. I will put my order in this evening for the parts and start getting the body work stripped back, boys are looking at some outrageous colours and designs as I type :D I will update the post as I go. I am sure I will hit a stumbling block somewhere along the line (probably the rear wheel assembly). But fingers crossed we will have it up and running within the next few days.

Again thanks for the input, it really is appreciated.

Regards
Clinton

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just had another look at the controllers, I actually missed that 600w one lol :eek:

I think in future I will plan better and order from US for sure, unfortunately the boys are in ultra excitement mode and are now hounding me to get this thing going. So I will take the plunge and order up the parts from the UK site this time.

Gotta say you have been a great help mate, credit to this site for sure. I will put my order in this evening for the parts and start getting the body work stripped back, boys are looking at some outrageous colours and designs as I type :D I will update the post as I go. I am sure I will hit a stumbling block somewhere along the line (probably the rear wheel assembly). But fingers crossed we will have it up and running within the next few days.

Again thanks for the input, it really is appreciated.

Regards
Clinton
Good luck and if you have any problems with anything I am here to help.
Again thanks for the input,it is appreciated.
No problem,I love helping people with their projects.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey,

Hope your all well.

Well some parts arrived today :D I have trimmed down the orginal motor plate in prep for the new motor going, slight size difference going from 18v 150w to 24v 500w. Good news is that it is going fit in a dream with little frame change, just a larger plate to go in.

Attatched a couple of pics of new bits, the controller has me a little concerned. It is 36v 600w (I hope) but it has no amp rating indicated, I emailed the supplier who replied stating they had no idea what the amp rating is and their supplier hasnt told them :eek:

I have two questions if I may. Firstly, any idea what amp rating this controller will be? The model number is T3640 (im thinking 36= 36v and the 40=40 amp). Then my thinking and reality are sometimes not on the same page....
My other question is breaker rating, what size fuse/breaker should I place on the postive battery cable? I have seen some rather confusing info on this but not knowing the amp rating of the controller has me unsettled haha.

Rear wheel assembly is turning out to be a lot of fun too, have ordered 2 rear wheels: PR200 and an E300 rear assembly. Hoping I can work on these to accomodate chain drive and disc braking. Freewheel has been a pain on this, working out whether to use on the motor pinion or rear wheel. Im going for rear wheel as unite motors dont seem to love the freewheel pinion. But the order I put in with MSP should sort it, wife is not gonna be happy when she sees my minimoto upgrade bill ;).

Regards
Clinton

Attachments

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Thanks for the Pictures Clinton...

Here is one for you... Looks like you are right about the rating! :) :thumbsup:

For Fuses you need to think about a few different things, the main goal is to have the fuse blow BEFORE you reach a voltage that would BLOW the controller...

but at the same time, sometimes the amperage flowing through the system will "Surge" like hitting WOT (wide open throttle) from a dead stop.

So, I Can't say for sure, but I will try to read about it some more, I don't even have an electric pocket bike...

Please keep uploading the cool pictures for us to see as the project continues!

ps

You are NOT alone on the freewheel BS, our Cateye's have that junk on them and they are GAS!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah fantastic, should have looked a bit harder for that info :eek: 40 amps should be ok for me, Cheers NaSa.

On the circuit breaker side of things, I read somewhere that you can use a calculation for fuse/breaker rating:

CB = Circuit Breaker

(CB Voltage Rating/Battery Voltage) x CB Amp Rating = Actual CB Rating

Based on this I get:

Is this correct and is mid 40 Amp rating a good level based on a 40 amp controller? With my young boys riding this bike I want to ensure its fun but more importantly safe :)

I will keep uploading the pics and progress, please feel free to poke fun (i mean constructively criticise), I am far from an expert in this field but a very willing learner :p

Cheers
Clinton

Attachments

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
It looks good to me, it is over the level determined to be "Normal" and yet not so high that it seems it would let the controller fry itself. With a nice setup like that, the only other thing to worry about would be heat!

Good Job!

Nick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys. I am following this thread with mounting interest as I too am thinking of upgrading our used 18v Honda Minimoto Sportracer for my 7yo son. I'm simply debating on whether it would be less expensive to go buy Maxii parts (http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/maxii.html) or simply buy a Razor 24v ($200) based on some of the costs associated with an upgrade. I assume the Maxii parts will fit on the 18v frame although I'm unsure of the tires - assuming I make the conversion to chain. I'm still looking for a rim for the Maxii and perhaps the rims you've chosen would also work. Can you let me know where you got the E300 or PR200 tires/rims?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi technowonder,

The costs involved in the upgrade have certainly exceeded the $200 mark for me personally. I am awaiting some parts arriving before I start building the bike up and publishing progress pics.

Rear wheel assembly was a bit of a pain, I have ordered the PR200 rear wheel from the site you listed above. The E300 wheel was a last in stock from a UK supplier. I havent recieved either yet so will let you know whether they fit in due course. I am hoping the wheels will arrive this week as that is the only part holding me back now, I am keen to have the wheel fitted before welding the new plate in for the motor to ensure it aligns correctly :eek:)

I will hopefully have some updated pics on progress this weekend.

Regards
Clinton

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys! A quick update from my project...

Following some info from the thread, I just purchased all the parts to upgrade to 36v 500W. Certainly spent a lot more than I anticipated though I am replacing the entire drive train and control systems for the sportracer frame. Total came to roughly $400. Ouch...might as well have gone 49cc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in update, still awaiting some parts which appear to be sitting in UK customs 2 weeks after order. Hopefully not too much longer now :)

In the meantime I took out the original motor plate ready for a larger plate to be welded in (friend doing that this week) and managed to get the rear wheel assembly sorted.

I used the E300 rear wheel assembly. There were 2 changes that need to be made, the axles had to be swapped and then new spacers cut to centre the wheel correctly. In future I will prob swap out the band brake for a disc brake.

Pretty happy with it so far. Once I get the remainder of the parts (charging port, chain, brake lever and new plate for motor) I will be in a position to push on and wrap it up.

Until then I hope your all well and I will update in due course.

Regards
Clinton

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts