Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information and your welcome!!!!!!
First how do I change my Avatar?
Second how do I find more sidecar frames and plastic?
Third how do I post pictures of my sidecar I’m doing a full show build for awards? I’d like some feedback on if I can do better, I don’t think so it already looks like a piece of jewelry.
I might want to find another one to build also?
Thank you again, Robert Atkins.
Fort Smith,Arkansas.

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
Find the Control Panel button, click, from the menu on the left, click Edit Avatar, then browse your computer or the internet for photos. I think now the website reduces al photos, 67Kb, avatar and 512Kb for 5 posted photos for each post.

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Thank you for the information and your welcome!!!!!!
First how do I change my Avatar?
Second how do I find more sidecar frames and plastic?
Third how do I post pictures of my sidecar I’m doing a full show build for awards? I’d like some feedback on if I can do better, I don’t think so it already looks like a piece of jewelry.
I might want to find another one to build also?
Thank you again, Robert Atkins.
Fort Smith,Arkansas.

You go to "control panel" then find "avatar"

Its a lot easier to find in "Classic Mode"

Heres what the other member has...I posted the pic for hime when he first joined to help him out..

Heres the link....https://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/170-new-pocketbikeplanet-start-here-introduction/112795-new-here.html

As far as the other stuff you desire like parts ….Youre better off designing your own body out of aluminum and rivets or making a mold and making a custom fiberglass or carbon fiber set....

Sidecars first came out 17-18 years ago and the ones that actually gotten raced the bodykits were demolished and then the surplus went to the ones restoring and selling theirs...

I haven't seen a sidecar bodykit since like 2016 ..They were being sold on ebay for like $350.00 for the whole bodykit

The makeup and composition of china made bodies are mostly acrylic..

Best part is if you can pull off making a mold then the finished product you can capitalize on the venture by making a few more to sell to cover costs and possibly more.......

Theres gonna be a day when the ex-racers are gonna re-surface bodiless ad the new owners are gonna be looking for them...….

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-Bike-Fairing-Body-Kit-Plastic-Fender-Guard-Cover-Mini-Moto-Bike-47CC-49CC/272778704587?hash=item3f82e0b6cb:m:mgI6JipbM095mU_BrDxj5pA

Heres something that may be an interest to you..

https://www.pinterest.com/generationxx/mini-bikes/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sir,
I really appreciate your response and help with navigating this site, and the information of the sidecar and the past conversations you’ve had. I’m a retired Aerospace Engineer and I found an 07 crashed and beaten that is exact look of the silver one in the pictures. I, however do one hobby build at a time and I recognized the bad welds and fatigue points as soon as I took it down to the frame. I’m coming up on my 3rd year of rebuilding it from an Engineering standpoint I will try to post some pictures as I have documented it from the start, a pic of my Daughter sitting on it before I dismantled it. I started with a sandblast and grinding all the welds then proceeded to re-weld then sand to 600 grit. I then send it to powder coat gloss black, I have spent the last 3 years researching all the parts, and replacing with quality sleeper parts like a 44mm balanced motor, and except for the plastic I have replaced 95% of the bike. I am repairing the plastic using a resin repair method that is working wonderful, 4 colors, gloss black, fire engine red, gold accents, and chrome bolts. I hope to post pictures now and all the way to the finish by May 1st and I only have the front fairing and third wheel to finish repairing, however I took the chain guard and seat plastic back off to repair and paint better I am going for perfection. I am also going to build a custom stand also powder coated for display, this bike will never be ridden unless I sell it, I intend it to be eye candy and win show awards. I will start it for display on the stand as I also installed a speedometer to show the judges that it is a running working machine. Thank you for your help I might need more help to post pictures and I still haven’t been able to get on classic mode yet. Again I can’t thank you enough and I hope that I can respectfully ask for more of your time for information/advice in the future. Robert Atkins.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I am unable to post pictures due to pure ignorance! Do I need to be on a pc?
Thank you, Robert.

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
I keep all my photos on my win10 laptop, keep them in Windows Pictures, Think you need 6 posts to do much. Hit the reply button. put your text, then scroll down to Upload Files /Photo, click then a browse button which takes me to Browse Box w/ 5 slots. When I click that it takes me to windows pictures, and I double click what I want., then click Upload, then Submit button and your done. Or you can look at the internet for photos. Tapa talk for phones which I know nothing about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's working but it's late in Arkansas I'll attach pictures tomorrow, thank you again!!!!!!

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
For cracks I have used JB Weld and another piece of plastic over it on the inside for support. Permatex has Plastic Bonding Epoxy that works great also. CAM2 has used both, just like me.

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Sir,
I really appreciate your response and help with navigating this site, and the information of the sidecar and the past conversations you’ve had. I’m a retired Aerospace Engineer and I found an 07 crashed and beaten that is exact look of the silver one in the pictures. I, however do one hobby build at a time and I recognized the bad welds and fatigue points as soon as I took it down to the frame. I’m coming up on my 3rd year of rebuilding it from an Engineering standpoint I will try to post some pictures as I have documented it from the start, a pic of my Daughter sitting on it before I dismantled it. I started with a sandblast and grinding all the welds then proceeded to re-weld then sand to 600 grit. I then send it to powder coat gloss black, I have spent the last 3 years researching all the parts, and replacing with quality sleeper parts like a 44mm balanced motor, and except for the plastic I have replaced 95% of the bike. I am repairing the plastic using a resin repair method that is working wonderful, 4 colors, gloss black, fire engine red, gold accents, and chrome bolts. I hope to post pictures now and all the way to the finish by May 1st and I only have the front fairing and third wheel to finish repairing, however I took the chain guard and seat plastic back off to repair and paint better I am going for perfection. I am also going to build a custom stand also powder coated for display, this bike will never be ridden unless I sell it, I intend it to be eye candy and win show awards. I will start it for display on the stand as I also installed a speedometer to show the judges that it is a running working machine. Thank you for your help I might need more help to post pictures and I still haven’t been able to get on classic mode yet. Again I can’t thank you enough and I hope that I can respectfully ask for more of your time for information/advice in the future. Robert Atkins.
Welcome again fellow Engineer.....

I use a quick n easy way to post to the site called "postimage"…

https://postimages.org/

To post the pics like I did after you've selected the picture of your choice is to choose the second line option called or labeled "Direct Link"..

Then you paste that copied link between these brackets just as posted and your picture will appear

"Classic mode" is the oldest and best format to navigate this site with,,,,It has a blue screen and selected at the bottom of the screen on the lower left-hand side as in the illustration below..

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
To post through the site you must follow the steps...This site has a lot...LOL

First step is to hit click THE "edit" button AS PR PIC...On new posts its called "GO Advanced"

Second step is to click "UPLOAD PHOTOS"

Third step youll get a "Picture Uploader" with 5 uploaders click one at a time to load 5 individual pictures..

Fourth step is to "Select a Picture"..

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
5th step is to maximize the uploader and click "UPLOAD"

6th step youll see it "qued up" in the uploader under " Current Attachments"..

7th step is to click "Save Changes or "Submit Reply".....

After you hit the "Save Changes" button your picture or pictures will appear like the picture of the cag frame I added strength and a lil extra stretch to...…..

Im not so much of a perfectionist with Chinese crap as I am about my HotRods Harleys,Vintage Dirtbikes and Jap streetbikes

Attachments

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
This is about as far as I go...Ive learned from early on you can topcoat them but you cant change how theyre manufactured starting from the rough elements used unless you melt them down and add the proper materials needed or you electroplate them inside and outside...…….

Another option is to make your own frame out of better quality metals and welded to exacting standards..Theres members that have gone down that route with an aluminim perimeter frame....

it was a good idea and great concept.....Only thing he didn't realize about Japanese made perimeter frames it has layers inside to add strength and isn't just a single-walled boxed or tubed steel designs......…….

The Chinese steel literally vanishes from behind powdercoat leaving crusty rust and a powdercoat shell behind....Lead based paint is the only thing that elongates life of the steel and that's what the silver paint is..."Lead Based"....LOL

Put water on bare Chinese steel and you can literally watch it rust-up right before your eyes....

I have to keep all my Chinese made stuff in my basement to keep it looking as it should too...LOL

Powdercoat and clearcoat are only temporary with this hobby unless you encase them in a Polyeurethane shell or store them in a plastic case filled with argon.....LOL

On a serious note to really elongate life and longevity of the cheap Chinese steel all steel parts must be electroplated and everything chromed must have a real layer of copper between the steel and the chrome....

Mine are bred more for action and less sitting around looking pretty but still look pretty good I think...LOL....

You only live once...Enjoy the thrill...Im half a century old and still live life like Im 15...LOL

I always take lots of pics of what they looked like before being ridden,,,,Something always happens to them...LOL

I turn ordinary everyday Chinese rideables into faster aswell as 1 of a kinf rideables that no-one else has....Nobodys bikes are as strong and as reinforced as mine...…..

Attachments

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Heres a picture to show you how fast and deep the rust goes and can get...

The Cag frame being modified by me was kept in a shed for 5 years and never saw water like as being washed or rained on...It just sat through the seasons untouched until they decided to move out of NY and didn't want to take the rusty looking thing with them...I scored it for $20 bux as a whole...

I tried to salvage the rear swingarms but there was too much rust inside the rear arms to salvage them so I cut them off and grafted on some chromoly swingarms from a kids 20" BMX bike.....

Heres a shot of the frame of a brand new 1 month old cag I obtained in a contest..Never saw rain and was stored in a garage before I got it too.……..

The frames on the 2011's to date are ridiculously thin compared from 2003-2010...…….

Attachments

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
If I had a Cag sidecar racer I definitely wouldn't want to keep it stock.....

The idea is its a "Race Machine" therefore it should have some HP parts aswell as racer additions like professional style handholds for the sidecar passenger too...

For better friction rolling resistance you need to use the best quality wheel bearings aswell as clutch housing bearings to get the smoothest roll....

Sidecar racers have evolved so much that now the minis are running wider racekart tires to enhance footprint to enhance full throttling in the turns ability...………….

Id modify the tool based 1.6hp engine into a real racing engine with 5-6hp and take pics to document the process........

Originality in Chinese made stuff doesn't thrill most as run of the mill eye candy as the engines that power them are derived from brushcutters,trashpumps and power augers........They were never designed for motorbikes…….

To take the engine out of its tool based element it must be blueprinted and ported aswell as other parts modified to conform....

Heres what the engine on your sidecar racer looks like as a brushcutter engine...Its a copy of a Robin NB350/NB411

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I began with the black assembled sidecar and got to powder coat these are the pictures here now. I have a steady progression of assembly I will be posting as I go, I have many more to post to catch up to my current progress. Future pictures coming.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, thanks to you all my pic uploading is working. I'm going to post them in order now up to current in the next few days. I have just completed repair, and paint of the third wheel cover and chain guard. I'm painting the seat/tank section now, I got ride of all the parting lines from the mold to make it show smooth and that is a challenge, so when I'm finished with that tomorrow I should be updated to the same day on my progress. I will comment as I go so the next 20+ pictures are since summer 2019 till now.
Thank you ALL for all the help and advice, I have perfected a way to fix all the plastics and only the complete fairing is left and it will take a month to perfect it.
Again, thank you all for your support and I welcome any advice, and or, criticism, that's why I'm on this site with you great folks to learn, knowledge is power. Robert Atkins, Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts