Pocketbike Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
It's actually a jet ski stand to roll one around, I was going to make on but after doing the B.O.M. I decided that buying one was easier. However cart stands are well over $200 for even the most basic one, so I did a search and found this one for $125. The purpose and that's all the pics I could get out so far is for shows to win awards and be able to start it. I put soo much time and money in this and I'm still repairing the front fairing, and installing the C1 racing bars I want it to be race ready so if one day I decide to sell it whoever buys it can set it on the ground and go crash it for themselves, after they pay me. See it's a project and something to show off, I'm already well into my 12 gauge project so these are just the finishing touches. I've watched enough video that I know if I take it off the stand and try and ride it lets say up and down the street of our next bike rally that I won't be able to do it justice. So my long term goal is to take it to the rally's enter it into the award shows and get awards and up on the stand I can start it run it up and down to show that it actually is built correctly, thanks to you guys helping with the details like those cheap bars, and I installed a speedo so it will go faster without any weight on it. My end game it to get paid by some kids Dad that has to buy it for his Son because his Son just has to have it. Remember this is only a hobby for me and even though my Daughter likes that I'm building it for her she's an artist and wants nothing to do with it. She probably won't even go to the bike rally's or car shows. In 5 years she needs a car and there are so many people in this particular area that are very well off, my last company was a high end no break no scratch moving company so we brought home over a $1000 a day without even trying. I got hurt and sold it for $130,000 in less than a week just on our reputation alone, our contacts and our perfect track record put 2 other moving companies out of business. So in the end I know a lot of the upper end people that have the money I want in their pocket, or better yet all the household's we've moved we had to help them move there 4th, 5th, 6th or more cars. I want one for my Daughter in 5 1/2 years so that gives me plenty of time to go to all the places we already go demonstrate this sidecar, and 1 day I have no doubt a father will tell me he'll give me one of his 6+ cars for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
How long have you been working on this project?? At $20 and hour you have $1000 labor already, how our you going to make a profit. You will be lucky if you can get $300 for it. So, if your doing it for money, all the people that helped for free are not getting paid. We might have to start charging you for our time, lol. We help people fix bikes they are going to keep, it's kind of crappy you are wasting our time so you can make profit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I didn't mean any offence by it, I'm very interested in every project I take on, and I have no intention of giving this project away. I probably will have it and pass it to my Daughter, so my intention is to take it to shows, start and run it, I may drive it myself up and down Main street on rally day, in time. for now I have used my spare time about 3 years worth to completely dismantle, re-weld, and so on. I really do appreciate all of your help, the bar change is huge and they'll be here tomorrow so I'll mount they and post more pics on that now that this picture thing is working. As I stated I'm well into my next project already, a 100 year old side by side 12 gauge, and by the time I send the double barrel out for honing, ceramic coating, and re-bluing or any other problems it may have I'm sure I'll be well into $1000 on a piece in the end that's probably worth about what you stated $300. So all the thing I do in my retirement are more a labor of pride in my work, thanks to you guys on this bike I'm buying the proper parts. I have no doubt one day this will be sold or most likely given to someone who will benefit from my long work, and you sound advice, so the answer is it's not all for nothing. I just want to enjoy a show piece before it actually goes to work, the same as my 12 gauge, I may never shoot it! It may end up on the wall for the rest of my life, or my family will use it, or most likely sell it for as you stated $300 if I'm lucky. However I promise you I mean no disrespect in the questions I ask, and the advice you give back, we both know at some time all the things we do will be put to use eventually. Thank you for all you have done, and may or may not do in the future, I still need CAM2's help in advice on my 12 gauge, but I'm not to the barrel yet it'll probably be another 6 month's due to being retired I only work on things when I feel like it. After the next project I'm going frame up on a 1976 XS750 "triple," I've had that bike for 3 years also and over the last 3 years I've only found 1 other and it's in a Yamaha museum in Japan. I tend to pick items that are more or less 1off's, now that bike is probably also worth $300, however to me it's a priceless project due to the fact in a worldwide search I seem to have the only 1.
I truly thank the both of you, and I don't want you to think I'm taking advantage, I think of it as keeping an old man busy with unique hobbies. Robert.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
CAM2, EPR, Robert Atkins here from fort Smith, Arkansas. I hope you and yours are doing OK in these trying times!!!!!
I don't want anyone on here thinking any of us are being untouched by this Virus going on right now, I am using this time to work on my Families well being, and our, "in house time." So far my family and Friends are doing well, however we are in a low impact state. I am trying to do my part by using a more than normal amount of $ on the internet. Not just in 1 company, but in a wide variety of en devours. I am using my time and money to update a lot of my current, and future projects. I am currently updating my Mossberg Maverick 88 into a customized, to myself, Mossberg 590A knock off with several custom changes that will fit what I want it for. My knock off is going to be a 100% in home very close quarters offensive weapon, I can't post any pictures on here, but I'm going all the way down to a Bayonet style full on attack, for the ultimate self defense, 12 gauge.
On the other front that is my sidecar, I hope you guys didn't get too mad at me for telling the truth by saying that I'm going to use it as a show piece only, to start with, but track ready when the time comes project. EPR, I received the proper bars this morning , and used the following 3 hours to install them properly as I have tried to do from the start, breaking the frame apart 3 years ago and re welding it. I am at the point of repairing the original front fairing, planned finish in about a month, due to the fact that this sidecar WILL be on a track in the future one way or another. It WILL hold up to a regular sidecar, hopefully way better than a regular sidecar, if it's just dumped on a track, started, and mash the throttle. I sure hope you guys accepted my sincere apology in the fact that I had no intention of miss leading anyone about this being a work of art first, and getting on a track second. It's the same story as my 100 year old 12 gauge side by side, I am trying to make it a work of art first, all the way down to possible custom etching, second fully restoring the double barrel and every other piece to secondly make it fully functional.
I am doing projects, however I do usable projects that will be used in one way or another.
Anywho, I pray for everyone's well being, and I also pray for some sort of friendship, if even only on a computer with pleasant conversations, and the exchange of stories and advice. I take everyone's advice as I hope others take mine, I in no way intend to steer anyone in a bad direction, in other words if I wouldn't do it I wouldn't advice it to anyone.
I seriously thank you for the advice you have given, I hope my addition of these bars meet with your approval. If you have any other friendly advice on my sidecar I will always take it serious and research it.
Thanks guys, Robert.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
You can see how much better the C1 clips are. Were all in this Mess together, people are not listen to the warnings, I live in a rain forest 35 miles west of Santa Rosa, CA, right off The Russian River on 2 acres, the road is on my deed. My 18" 12 gauge shot gun has 5 rounds #1 is 8 shot for warning and 4 50 gauge slugs in a plastic cases, it will stop any engine and is very accurate, There are signs at the bottom hill, so when people just show up, I show up with my 12 gauge, and they Freak Out, lol.
I have no problems with what your doing, I would love to find one for myself to customize. But I have so many bikes already my wife is on the WAR PATH, lol. My opinions are what they are, its up to you what you want to do. Your the one that has to be happy. You have a lot of weight for a small engine, you need more horsepower if you want to go fast.
If it were mine I would try find a different rear wheel and outer wheel, and adapt them, like Go Kart wide slick wheels they will grip way better thru the corners. The outer stock wheel you can save as a spare front tire. There are all kinds of wheels, might be able to use for the rear like X7 wide rear wheel and tire.
This are some photos you might want to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
It's always good to have a 12 gauge around, at least that's what my Grandfather taught me. I have seen a few pictures with the wheels you are talking about, I even saw one last week that had almost the same wide flat one on the rear. The flat one on the side also makes sense as well, do to the sliding that I believe the bike has to do, I will start looking into that, again I appreciate all the tips! I completely agree with the engine upgrade, the one I installed on it now is more of an, "I'll find the proper engine down the line," kind of thought. Like most of my projects I never really finish them, it's more of a research till I find a more appropriate part kind of mentality. Kind of like the clip on's you turned me on to, I can't get enough of just looking at them, besides being the proper tool for the job, their just awesome. CAM2 told me about the engine you helped him with, that's probably more in line with the power to weight ratio, or even something with a little more. I'll start doing research on the wheels, and print out the written word of how you built his engine so I can achieve more timely research without having to go back and forth several pages. I'll also print the pictures of that engine as well as yours, and the wheel designs, I like to pin things up in front of me on the wall to make comparisons and write notes as I come across them. I have the time to do a lot of research on a lot of different things so I don't get burnt out on 1 thing. I have a dedicated office for research, and a room in the house for smaller work and assemblies, as well as a half a garage for the larger projects and any manufacturing I might need to do.
I really appreciate the wheel and engine direction, those are next as I finish the front fairing repair, and work on the innards of my old double barrel. I have a long way to go on my 12 gauge, however that's 1 of the advantages of being retired, I can take my time, and with you guys helping me I'm not going in the complete wrong direction. Those bars are just too cool!!!!!! If you see anything else that may seem trivial like that please give me a shout out, I always strive to improve, and I can use all the help I can get.
I'm doing my part on this end with the, well, just being normal part of life. My family has been on the best path I can give them from the beginning of starting my Family, they are well grounded and Integrity is always at the front. I had wonderful Grandparents to thank for that. All of this hand washing, and so on isn't even discussed, due to the fact that that's how I raised them from day 1. My 18 year old had H1N1 twice in a row in 09 and she was quarantined with my Mother for 2 months, she was only 8 and we believe brought it home from school, she has a low immune system and even re infected back to back, still not sure how that happened with all the precautions? She came out alright, she's had it hard, however she has my spirit and has been top notch in life and was the only 1 person in Fort Smith, Arkansas to earn a 4 year full ride Chancellors Scholarship for International Business, single dorm room and all from UFAS!
I'm humbled by her tenacity even with a weak immune system she's cautions enough to know that she will be OK when she gets out in the world, whether she ever leaves this City or not?
Look at me going on, I can't help being proud of my Daughters, they are all I could have ever hoped for and much more.
Anywho, thanks again for the next research tasks, as always I can't thank you guys enough!!!!! Stay safe, Robert.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
You could go with a water cooled engine, like the polini clone engine. I have to Euro bikes GRC GP1 with 12 hp BZM ( Bi Zeda Motors ), water cooled, Polini910 Carena air cooled engine. Air cooled & water cooled Blata clone engines, in C1 W/C frames. A 50cc Banshee Sho polini clone engine, and many Cags and scooters.

I have so many projects waiting, lol.

Attachments

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Im pretty partial to race themed wraps with big number plaques and room for sponsors

They make the most sense over doing paint on a race machine..

As far as your concensus about that 1976 XS750....

If you saw one in Japan the first thing you'd notice is that the XS models were exports.....The Jap model was called the GX750 and had wire wheels...

Ive had a few XS750's throughout the years..One 76,one 78 and one 81...I got them all for under $500 bux combined and turned them all into bobbers which sold for a couple grand each.

Ive also had the brutal powerhouse Kawasaki KZ1300 inline 6 turbo bike...

Theyre not as rare as you think...What would be rare is getting your hands on the XS750 4 cylinder Prototype model that was made in 80 before it came out in 82 or having a 76 GX750 with wire wheels or the more higher HP model of the 77 GX750II that had 7 more HP than the 76.......

If the XS750 you have has any substantial mileage on the clock most likely needs a second gear rebuild as those engines are prone to popping out of second gear under load as first is ultra low and gets wound out too much which chips away at the gear tooth ends...…..Second gear on those models are the power gear first is just for getting it rolling and is a quick upshift after takeoff...…...

My last one the bores were so out of round I had to bore the cylinders up to the 850 piston size which made it run very very hottt....

This bike was my very first motorcycle when I was 14...It was a 62 RD350 2 cylinder 2 stroke with a left-hand kickstarter and right-side chain drive….It was quite rare and got it at a garage sale for $20 bux

Traded it running for a 43 Chevy coupe kitcar……..

And good luck with that idea of some rich dad with 6 cars gonna give up a car for a Chinese toy and not simply offer cash....You'd get a better reaction donking out the quad with 26's and putting a booming system hidden on it...….

I have 10 cars and 10 work trucks and wouldn't trade either for a Chinese toy...Maybe a real deal racer like this if I was looking to break into the sport...

If you notice even the sidecar wheel has braking control ability...……..

They run 2 stroke 125cc engines also CRF150 engines in these mini racers...………….

I'd just give my kid the car and buy him something that doesn't take 2 people to ride with any kind of speed or on a track ;- like a miniquad or a pitbike...…….

FYI...These are just as fun also a lot faster...…………

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hey guys!!!!! Robert Atkins here from Fort Smith, Arkansas. I know it's been a few months since I've been on this site, however I've been really busy finishing up my daughters 350 Banshee, and my MT-A2 Cagllari L7 side car project. I'm finished with both!!!!! since it's super hard to post anything on here if you type in my full name, or just type is 49cc side car, or something like that you will find a bunch of videos I've been putting on YouTube!!!!! There's a few on the completed Banshee, and a few more on the side car. I'll try and post some pictures on here, however I've had sooooo much trouble in the past it would be better to just go to YouTube and watch all the videos there. Anywho, EPR, and CAM2, I can't thank you guys enough for your guidance from the very start. I know you guys a really hard core into this so you may not approve of the finished product, however I can put it on the ground and go racing, if I had anyone in the U.S.A. to race.
Stay healthy and safe, thank you.
Robert Atkins

81 - 91 of 91 Posts