Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded monster)
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened, figured it would eventually but still makes me sad panda... my 800w motor went thermonuclear.
Light Gas Automotive tire Auto part Fashion accessory

Then I tried to run another used 800w armature and wouldn't you know it... it did the same damn thing.
Automotive tire Vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Sooooooo now I have no choice but to fold and pick up a 48v 1800w brushless motor and speed controller and eliminate the possibility of this ever happening again!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just from the over volt, or were you running it hard?
Oh I put that thing through hell... it's my daily means of transportation, I'd average 10 miles a day on it through all kinds of terrain and weather, and I'm 185lbs so it definitely put it's work in. It had a good run though of roughly 4 months of torture.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. Sorry to hear that, not a cheap problem.
No... it's not, but it's cheaper than replacing the 48v 20ah lithium ion battery pack that I had to repair already lol. Besides I've been wanting to eventually go brushless, this just kinda sped up the process

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Dammmmm lol it took out the commutator it was strong but that's what 4 months of hard mileage will do.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Making me rethink over volting.
Keep in mind, this is my daily driver and I'm 185lbs. Overvolting a recreational use bike will last much longer than mine did.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Making me rethink over volting.
It doesn't really matter they are just 100 hour motors but they do last a lot longer on SLA because the amps drop out of them with lithium ion the amps are there

It's not the voltage that generates heat it's the amperage and with SLA you only get full amperage for one or two minutes ( if ever on a pack that's had 30 or more cycles ) before it completely drops out.

SLA 20 amps for 2 minutes then 15 amps on a really good day

li Ion 35 amps you might see a sag down to 30 amps on china packs

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We grenaded a few Power Wheels gear boxes back in the day, but those were a lot cheaper than Razor motors.
Yeah lol they certainly are. Knowing that it was going to be my daily transportation I knew I should have gone with a 48v 1800w brushless motor and speed controller from the beginning but unfortunately raising 5 kids is expensive so money is tight, I've had to piece this thing together over several months to get it where it is now and fortunately I have another project bike selling Thursday so some of that will be paying for the new set up... and for under $140 I'm not complaining since it will no longer be prone to overheating during my travels around the city.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It doesn't really matter they are just 100 hour motors but they do last a lot longer on SLA because the amps drop out of them with lithium ion the amps are there

It's not the voltage that generates heat it's the amperage and with SLA you only get full amperage for one or two minutes ( if ever on a pack that's had 30 or more cycles ) before it completely drops out.

SLA 20 amps for 2 minutes then 15 amps on a really good day

li Ion 35 amps you might see a sag down to 30 amps on china packs
Yet again, you sir... have proven to be a treasure trove of information!

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,009 Posts
Wow. Well, the time and hell you put that through gives us all great info. I mean you probably had between 800 and 1000miles on it. I am lucky to hit 100miles in a year. Mostly road, some off road.
Now armed great info from your experience.
Eventually all of us want to hit up the brushless. So many more watts available.
That was also way cheaper than a car!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Well, the time and hell you put that through gives us all great info. I mean you probably had between 800 and 1000miles on it. I am lucky to hit 100miles in a year. Mostly road, some off road.
Now armed great info from your experience.
Eventually all of us want to hit up the brushless. So many more watts available.
That was also way cheaper than a car!!
Well... I don't know if it was THAT many miles, but I'd safely put it in the ballpark of 400 or so miles of hauling my fat butt around lol. I'm glad to be able to share my successes and failures here for everyone to grow from, knowledge is always power!

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,009 Posts
Or was it just for entertainment!! Lol.
Just kidding, i was figuring the 10miles/day 5 days/week for 4 months (4weeks/month) even though one might have had 5. But nonetheless, still impressive with that abuse.
So did it just die or ???

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or was it just for entertainment!! Lol.
Just kidding, i was figuring the 10miles/day 5 days/week for 4 months (4weeks/month) even though one might have had 5. But nonetheless, still impressive with that abuse.
So did it just die or ???
Lol honestly I'm too lazy to do the math for a decent ballpark of mileage but it definitely had a few. And yeah honestly I was kinda surprised how it went out... I was coming back from a local store (maybe 3/4 a mile away) and the way back is downhill and flat ground. I made it about half way home and suddenly it was like I was running on 36v, I pulled over and checked connectors wondering if something was loose or whatever and found nothing... then a cop rolled up and started questioning me about the illegality of the bike so I showed him the state statutes (here it classifies as an e bike as it "was" under 750w and can't exceed 20mph on its own power according to factory specs) and after a few minutes he said I was free to go and left. I went to ride away and it was still lacking serious power, about 60 seconds into the ride it lost almost all power and started pouring smoke... that's when I decided to walk it home and disassemble lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Yeah... lost a lot of pride that day lol
No way this is a win you educated that officer about the law and I mean yeah it broke down and you had to push it but it wasn't like you forgot to charge it and then it went dead and you had to push it this was out of your control.

And you did get pretty good mileage out of that brushed motor I know you weren't stopping every 10 to 15 minutes and letting it cool down amongst other various things LOL brushless motors last at least four times longer on top of you won't have to ride it as hard because you will have overhead power.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What! How dare you assume I wasn't stopping every 10-15 minutes for cool down periods! I always did that... when my destination was 10-15 minutes away lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts