Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just upgraded my 18v honda minimoto to 24 volts by using a razor 24v controller and throttle.

Question is can I jump to 36 volts like this or do I need to upgrade to a razor 36v controller?

Oh shoot then I would fry the stock 18v motor right? Where is a good source for the motor & controller?

Also do I use razor stuff or will any E bike controller & throttle work?

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Just remember a lot of e-bike stuff is hard coded with soft on ( hard coding means it is not able to be changed ) this is to prevent people from going full throttle and tearing the spokes out of the bicycle wheels.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,009 Posts
I think they all have softer starts but you would need to upgrade your controller and throttle to 36 volts. I don't know if that one can be modified like Raddad did on his 36v to run 48v. The 18 volt motor would be okay for a little bit but it would eventually go toast. But they all do eventually

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded monster)
224 Posts
Okay so as far as razor 24v speed controllers go there's 2 types, the kind with the variable throttle and the kind with the non variable throttle. You can do my modification to any razor 24v speed controller HOWEVER the non variable throttle kind of speed controller WILL NOT operate correctly on 36v and will fry! The only ones that will handle the 36v are the variable throttle 24v or the 36v speed controllers. And no, razor does not incorporate any soft start coding in their speed controllers.

With that said your 18v motor should be capable of handling 36v for a little bit... I'd say like 5 minute intervals of use and cool down periods after. I know a guy who's running a 24v 250w my1016 motor on 48v right now and it's still alive... for now lol. I'm not sure how much room you have in your ride for motor swaps but I'd look into a 24v 350w my1016 motor if there's minimal room as it's about 2/3 the size of the motors on the mx500/mx650s and if that won't fit the 24v 250w motor is about an inch slimmer than the 350w motor and both should handle the 36v overvolting just fine.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,009 Posts
Well written, and thanks for the 24v controller info.
The currie 24v 500w motor bolts into the 250w spots on E300 scooters and razor pocket bikes. I have installed them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts