Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i got a 47cc cag pocket bike last week brand new it ran for a while till the pull starter broke so i looked online and i found out you could start the bike by turning the flywheel with a drill and socket so i did that but the bolt shot out every time i did that so it slowly broke off the flywheel wings or whatever you call them so started it with a bolt that was to long and it cracked off at the crankshaft so i was like ahh **** but i taped the hole and made a bigger size bolt and so i ordered a new flywheel, pull starter, rocket key (becouse i lost the original one that was in there) so they all arrived today and i put the rocket key on and it snaps off ont the 4th pull so i use it like a woodrough key or whatever and it worked so i put the flywheel back on(it turns the crankshaft with pull) and pullstarter on and i pull it it creats a nice spark from sparkplug and no start it has compression gas in engine spark why wont it start please help thanks:/ (ps i have tried putting oil and gas in the spark plug well and on pull white smoke comes out the exhaust) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkSahEPBNLQ

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
if you put fuel in the plug well and white smoke came out then you have spark and compression. after watching the video it looks like the engine is rolling over fine, which means your flywheel, pull starter, and woodrough key are working.

if you have spark and compression, and nothing is actively stopping the engine from rolling over, then it's likely a fuel delivery issue. or an air leak. i'd check your reeds and carb first as they're the easiest fixes. if everything checks out from there you'll need to do a compression test to see if you have an air leak. it's possible that by turning the engine over with a drill and essentially breaking your flywheel that you jarred something loose. first place i'd look for an air leak is where you taped the hole and ran a bigger size bolt thru.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im sorry im a total newbe at small engines where are the reeds and what should i be looking for i know what mostly what everything else is...

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
I have a Zenoah engine in my bike so I don't have reeds, but from what I understand they are located between the carb and the engine, right in or next to the intake manifold. They help to ionize and control the fuel mixture as it's injected into the engine. You'll be looking for warping, cracking, or gunk in the reeds. Stock reeds are somewhat of a joke from my understanding and most people that run 47cc or 49cc reed engines get carbon fiber reeds as replacements.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
You have the air box, then carb, then manifold, then reed plate w/ reeds, and the engine block in that order.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Oh, and I would do 3/4 pulls instead of full pulls (snapping the pullcord all the way to the end). That's usually what breaks the pullstarter.

Starting the engine with a drill is not the smartest idea in the world, but sadly, a lot of people do exactly that. As you discovered, turning the engine over with a high-powered drill will mess up the bolt holding on the flywheel, and ocasionally the flywheel itself. Think of it this way: say you always use a drill to start the bike. You fire it up, set the drill back on the workbench, and go for a nice ride. While you're out, the bike quits. How are you going to start it again? Looks like you have a long walk home, unless you managed to build a cool funky holster for the drill and mounted it to your fairings .... Using a proper pullstart means less damage to your engine than using a drill with a socket. (Plus less damage to your leg - I know I wouldn't want to have an exposed flywheel spinning at six grand next to my foot ...)

Btw, welcome to the forums, since none of these other guys even bothered to welcome you ... Shame on y'all !!!! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is this?

oh yea and thanks but if i super glue that piece will it be alright and reeds look good but do they come out i dont want to break anything

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Shane, you will need to upload the images to a free image hosting site, then use the function again, and use the link to the "hosted" image, photobucket or anything like that will work...

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Shane, please read this again ... uploading a picture directly to the site from your computer isn't working. Go to PhotoBucket, create a free acount, upload your pictures there, then copy and paste the links to the images here.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
No you cant glue it. Jb weld doesnt work either. That would make it not run though. You need a new one. They should semd you a new one. You did say the bike was brand new didnt you? A metal pull start is a good investment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No you cant glue it. Jb weld doesnt work either. That would make it not run though. You need a new one. They should semd you a new one. You did say the bike was brand new didnt you? A metal pull start is a good investment.
yes the bike arrived last week thursday but would that piece honestly stop it from starting?

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
It would be a good place to start. I would have to say yes. More then likely. You should clean the carb and set the air gap on the coil,and gap on the spark plug.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh heres another question the coil gap so do i just stick like a ccredit card in between them and thats it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts