Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D
Well to start off. If I start my 49cc cat eye pocket bike ontop of its hold cage it starts right up and idles with the chain spinning the rear tire, But when prussure from putting the bike down on the ground or stopping the rear tire it immediatley shuts off:confused:

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?any help advice or input is greatly appriciated.:thumbsup:

will post pics & A video tommaro.:cool:

-Kevin

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is stuck, the bike should idle without the rear wheel spinning at all, and then as the RPM's build up the clutch should open, and start to spin the rear tire.

If you pull off the clutch bell / cover you should be able to spot the problem pretty quick

Good luck, and feel free to ask as many questions as needed, and remember, 1 picture = 1000 words!

:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Heres two pictures of my cateye 49cc bike Pretty much all stock I just bought it from a family member who had it sitting in a garage for a bout a year or two. Cleaned the spark plug And It starts up fine.

Good news is that it runs fine, but is still not idling right when the bike is on the ground.:(

Can you direct me to where the clutch would be?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
WOW! that thing is in PERFECT shape! excellent find!!!!!

so, on the right side of the bike, you should see the 2 chains, the smaller one in front connects to the "front pinion" and then back to the "jack-shaft"

if you go right up to the front pinion, you should see the pinion / clutch "bell" / transmission, just remove the bolts and you should be able to pull the cover/bell off, the clutch will be right under there.

Here are some pictures, I just took, for YOU! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

in the 1st picture, the 2 bolt holes by my fingers, and then in the same picture, the two above / below the pinion (gear) are the 4 bolts that hold the unit to the engine, the only issue is, the engine needs to come up and out (a little) of the main engine mounting bracket...

2nd picture is the clutch, 3rd picture is the back of the "transmission" showing the round (black) clutch "Bell"

And yes, my bracket has been "custom" rigged :D

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man!
I was hoping I got A Good deal on it! 100 bucks man cant get any better haha, but hey dude running the bike and riding it with the clutch not responding right could that really hurt the engine or cluctch any more than it is?

&

Thanks for Info Man! I really appreciate the help I also want to compliment your profile pic if thats your bike Cuz That thing is siiiiick!:eek:
And yea man Im gonna start taking that clutch apart & fix it in the morning.:cool:...

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Thanks, that picture is a 3D rendering (drawing) that is a part of some online training I am creating for all of us pocketbikers....

The bad clutch probably wont ruin the engine, but it could cause damage to the clutch bell, which would mean one extra part to buy.

best way to check the clutch is to get the rear tire off the ground, and then let it idle, the tire should not be spinning, then up the RPM's a little at a time, about half way up the RPM's the clutch should open into the bell and start the rear wheel moving.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
davesmotors had $2 scooter clutches, don't know if they still do. I have 6 now. Nice Bike, you got a Good Deal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So hey guys,
After a few days of not working on it because of my job I finally got the chance to take the cluctch off.

Here are the pictures

as you can see the cluctch is very dark and BOTH Springs were disconnected one tottally missing!

uhm Can you guys maybe direct me to the piece Im going to have to buy and what springs andf stuff I should get?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Nice, Good job getting it all apart!

There is only the one spring right in the middle of that clutch, but if I'm being honest, those clutch pads are GONE! so it would make more sense to just get a new clutch for it, I would think it would be $25 - $30 or so, and it will come with a brand new spring, there is also something called the "Black-Magic" spring, it is tighter and will make the clutch stay closed a little longer (RPM's wise) so the bike gets more takeoff power...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I buy a new clutch it should fix it? Where can I find a new clutch set you think ? Would I have to buy clutch pads too?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Yes, that should be all that will be needed to fix the rear wheel spinning all the time problem...

Any of the online stores should be good, It's just a cateye clutch, just use your picture to make sure you get the aluminum clutch (like yours) not the steel clutch (which was another possible option for that model of bike)

Good luck, and just use a visa to pay, and check out our supplier feedback section for some ratings + links!

Thanks for posting!

SUPPLIER FEEDBACK - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JEEZ:eek: its so hard to find a store to buy a new cateye cluctch

Like theres so many stores like on ebay and DDm n stuff but its hard to get a specific one ya know. Like they have alot of clutch's but they never specify what exactly its for idk its hard lol I need help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welp Hopefully It will Do the job for the cateye I mean it looks exactly the same. Although X1's are slightly a bit bigger. Next it looks like I just need A nice carb & maybe a nice fatty!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
1 - 20 of 72 Posts