Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 49cc pocket bike. I am yet to find out what kind of bike it is. It says Model GS-3 but the rest of the sticker is missing. I'm assuming its a GS-31 because it's a 2004. Here is what I can decifer from the VIN on the frame. Can't find anything on it and have plugged in different numbers and letters.

XYR(9 or 0 or D)X04336(D or 0)301709

Much help appreciated.

Not related but when I got the bike, I had to relocate the shut off switch that was in my rear brake handle. It would only turn over and start if I held the brake handle and start button at the same time but would die if I released wither button. I have since then fixed that issue and am facing an odd issue where the bike will start and run about 2 miles, but would go back to a previous issue where it would start but would not idle and would only run when I held the start button down. The bike only starts on a full charge, or if I let it sit for about 7 hours. The previous owner replaced the battery with some small 12V that is half the size of the battery bracket. Would that cause my current issue? I'm about to replace the battery but am worried if my issue is going to persist. Much help appreciated. Thank you.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Pictures, por favor. You can get a free account over at PhotoBucket - upload 'em there, copy and paste the [IMG} links to 'em here.

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's more of uploading the pics from my cell to the interwebs. I dont have a cable. And the bike is currently located at a friends across town.

Or, if anyone has a GS model, can you compare the vins so I can dial in the digits?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I believe it to be a X-6. I have just ordered a battery charger. I will also be getting a new rear brake handle, a solenoid, and a kill switch. I might also be needing a new carb as I just broke a gasket.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
X6, correct?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm about to buy a new rear brake handle, shut off switch, solenoid and carb. I broke a gasket on the carb and dont feel like taking it apart again so I'm just going to buy a new one. I'm thinking about a high Performance one but dont want to put much money onto the 49cc as I want to do a 110cc swap. There is one I'm looking at for $120. It's off a X18 and only has 3 hours run time so its still not broken in. :)

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I'm about to buy a new rear brake handle, shut off switch, solenoid and carb. I broke a gasket on the carb and dont feel like taking it apart again so I'm just going to buy a new one. I'm thinking about a high Performance one but dont want to put much money onto the 49cc as I want to do a 110cc swap. There is one I'm looking at for $120. It's off a X18 and only has 3 hours run time so its still not broken in. :)
I think you are right! just get it running again and then get the big engine, because no matter what you do to the 50, the 110 with the gears will be way faster, even Drag bikes need more than one gear!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 49 has 2 gears though, correct? My buddy did an 80cc big bore kit and when it hit second gear, it lifted like nothing. lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) it is. I rallyed it.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
The Inside is all stripped out or what? I pulled lots of "Stuff" out of my Hyundai, including the back seats sometimes, but had one too many "close calls" plus one good smash, that resulted in the WORST Bondo job ever! :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can go all out, removing the spare tire, door panels, and heat shields under the engine bay but keep in mind, when you remove something, your center weight changes. My oil pan and motor mount are to show for that. lol. You might also look into a cheap roll cage. All I really did to my sentra was I threw on a set of gabriel pro struts (work amazingly) and cherry bombed it and it drifted like a beaut. :) How did you know it was a Sentra? You a Nissan Junkie? I had an 89 but am currently looking at a 94 SE-R

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol I understand. I am nothing certified but have done more to my cars then most people would know about. :)

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Nick's a combination of "nerd" and "gearhead" ....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would $250- $300 be reasonable? Most of the fairings are salvigable (bondoable) and I have purchased the charger and its here. All it needs is a solonoid, and a new carb gasket. And a rear brake handle. Its still usable but is in rough shape.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts