Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wrenching on cars for years, but I've come into possession of a little 50cc pocket bike that I want to get running. Problem is, the wiring was hacked to pieces. I'm trying to use the remaining components to get it running with as few complications as possible. I'm not very well acquainted with these small engines though.

I've attached a bunch of pics to this post. The bike runs off of a 12v 3.5ah battery. It's a kick start, but appears to also have a starter button. I've got (what appears to be) the spark plugs leads heading to the ignition coil, with two connectors at the end. My questions are:

1. What is the minimum requirement for making it run? Can I run with just the battery and ignition coil, or do I need other components?
2. What are the pictured components? (Referring to the three black plastic parts connected to the original harness and the one metal housing with a female plug above the engine)
3. Do I need the wire attached to the engine case? Is this just for the gauge cluster?

I don't care about auxillary components like the starter motor, LEDs, gauge cluster, etc. I just want the engine to go boom. Any help is greatly appreciated!
1. The engine

2. I think the ignition coil? What connects to these two connectors?

3. What are these four, and do I need them? (Three are still connected on what remains of the harness)

·
Super Moderator
3,179 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Red is the starter relay, Green is the CDI. I'm not sure what blue is. Possibly a fuse or fuasble link, I guess. The silver box is your rectifier.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Cable Composite material

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need the CDI box it's for the ignition system that the one lihua and the coil the rest can go you will probably need

Dang, y'all are quick! Really appreciate the responses. By the sounds of it, I can just wire up the CDI and ignition coil and call it good. I'll have to do some searching for wiring diagrams but that definitely seems doable.
Red is the starter relay, Green is the CDI. I'm not sure what blue is. Possibly a fuse or fuasble link, I guess. The silver box is your rectifier.
So if I'm understanding correctly, I can ditch the blinker box, rectifier, and starter relay. I'll just have to keep the CDI. Is the lone plug coming from the engine the alternator wire? Again, thanks for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
3,179 Posts
Dang, y'all are quick! Really appreciate the responses. By the sounds of it, I can just wire up the CDI and ignition coil and call it good. I'll have to do some searching for wiring diagrams but that definitely seems doable.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I can ditch the blinker box, rectifier, and starter relay. I'll just have to keep the CDI. Is the lone plug coming from the engine the alternator wire? Again, thanks for all the help!
90% of the time you can just separate the wiring harness from the CDI harness and just plug it right into the engine and then it will run

·
Registered
65 Posts

You'll need to keep the rectifier IIRC. But, I'm not really sure. There should be a plug coming off the engine. I think that bike originally had an electric starter on the engine, and that engine was swapped in (thus the hacked wiring).

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
882 Posts
Battery is useless, when it's kickstart, like said, all you need is a CDI, coil, and there's two wires from the stator that run the CDI. I believe one was green with a black stripe and red or blue or something. But again there's only two wires that you need to get the CDI to run the others are auxiliary stuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts