Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Z1 piston, one ring and 12mm bearing with pin & clips came today with my SS C1 exhaust. I took a chance for $8.50 and prayed it would fit the 40mm Cag cylinder and ADA head. The piston fits perfect, and will fit on one of my Cag 12mm FC cranks. The piston is alittle long from the pin down, but the bench grinder will fix that. It is also alittle tall above the piston pin and has a flat top ( water cooled piston ). The pin in the piston groove for the split in the ring is on the other side of the arrow, but its a reed port so there is no intake port. Going to have to put the arrow on the piston facing the exhaust port, which will put the split in the ring in the center of 3rd upper port i was putting in, so now it will be 2 upper ports machine into the cylinder, but it looks like it will work,lol.
Looks like I will have to raise the cylinder at the base so the piston does not hit the compression cap. I might have to buy a set of new cases, I have new main bearings and seals here. Can't wait to get started, might have to use a degree wheel on this one,lol.

Attachments

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
When you shorten the skirt also chamfer the bottom edge afterwards with a nice 45 degree angle...Chamferring will help get the lube between the piston and the cylinder wall to decrease friction and piston scuffing on the downstroke..............

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't know about the rest of the Squirrels here, but when you talk and post photos I listen and write it down and save as photo to my Windows 7 Pictures file,lol,lol. When I ordered the pipe and saw that Z1 piston for $8.50 I thought about you, what would Cam2 do,lol. I hate when they sell stuff and don't put the diameter of the piston. I just took a chance, and remembered way back someone was talking about a 40mm 1 ring piston. Planning to put the 2 7/32" holes on each side above the pin for the down stroke and it will need 2 holes to feed the 2 extra upper ports. Might have to grind the compression cap to help clear the piston top or use a 44mm cap and head gasket.
Have to get the piston in a Cag case w/ the 12mm FC crank and see what it looks like. You should try this mod, this is right up your alley,lol.
That Z1 clutch looks like it might fit my cag crank, think it's to big for the C1.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I don't know about the rest of the Squirrels here, but when you talk and post photos I listen and write it down and save as photo to my Windows 7 Pictures file,lol,lol. When I ordered the pipe and saw that Z1 piston for $8.50 I thought about you, what would Cam2 do,lol. I hate when they sell stuff and don't put the diameter of the piston. I just took a chance, and remembered way back someone was talking about a 40mm 1 ring piston. Planning to put the 2 7/32" holes on each side above the pin for the down stroke and it will need 2 holes to feed the 2 extra upper ports. Might have to grind the compression cap to help clear the piston top or use a 44mm cap and head gasket.
Have to get the piston in a Cag case w/ the 12mm FC crank and see what it looks like. You should try this mod, this is right up your alley,lol.
That Z1 clutch looks like it might fit my cag crank, think it's to big for the C1.
Im still getting favorable results with my 2 ring setups...Going with wiseco rings relieving the ring channel a tad deeper to allow positive pressure to press the rings out to eliminate ring flutter,,file fitting the endgaps to accomodate for expansion and thinning the ring top and bottomsides a bit then polishing the ring sides really helps out with holding in the compression without sacrificing revs or adding unwanted friction...Also modding the sideskirts and drilling windows does wonders in itself to add.......

The piston in my 40mm build-up is ridiculously light and I even drilled the pin center 1 size bigger to lighten that too........Its basically an eggshell on a rod..........LOL.

Some of my engines I do have single rings on like my race kart,, 83 YZ80 02 PW80 and RM125 aswell as r/c engines with single rings...They really scream nice but the topend time of demise ticks twice as quick..............

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered new Cag cases last night, going to start from the ground up,lol. This way I can mod the intake area of the cases for better flow into the cylinder. I have a 12mm stock crank out of my 49cc A2 Cag, was considering maybe using that crank and modding it, to keep everything light. Coming from Hong Kong again, got a spare 39mm C1 piston kit for later and HD clutch springs. That Z1 clutch fits perfect on a Cag crank, it's 78mm, Cag dia. Kind of heavy, ( drill some holes ) but don't know if it will fit onto the engine without hitting something, will have to wait to see.

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Do you know what this engine is going in yet or you just making a monster?

When you shorten the skirt also chamfer the bottom edge afterwards with a nice 45 degree angle...Chamferring will help get the lube between the piston and the cylinder wall to decrease friction and piston scuffing on the downstroke..............
Liking this tip!!

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Do you know what this engine is going in yet or you just making a monster?

I think EPR's looking for an excuse to buy a new cag from HUGH,,,:rolleyes:,,LOL

Liking this tip!!
Yeah it really does the trick.........Did you know that if you coat the pistonsides with like 10 coats teflon car wax the piston glides really nice against quality synthetic pre-mix oil with castor oil in it and does it for quite awhile.............Teflon waxxing the rod gives nice bottomend and midrange gains aswell due to alot of reduced friction...That makes engines snappy snap snap if prepped right for a race,,,The holeshot is a great advantage in a race when theres nothing in front of you but asphalt....LOL..

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
NICE! How long does it last till it burns away? After it does burn away do you notice a negative result or just back to normal.. If I did this would I have to tear apart the engine and do it every few races?

Soo many tricks, so little time... lol

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cam2 is right, I do want the piston port framed new A2 at SD scooters, $318 shipped. But, I don't want the 33cc engine or the front or rear wheels. If he would sell me one like that, might buy it for the red head hot rod engine.
I ordered C1 50cc piston kit and Cag cases, and hp springs. Then ordered 2 C1 Blata rep coils from hk. China Air, was mailed Oct. 11,2012 so just waiting for the cases have the bearings and seals. Think I am going for a lighten everything even the crank. Going with my spare Cag 49cc 12mm rod bearing stock crank and mod the eng cases for better flow around the main bearings & port and match the cylinder case tranfers ports. Think the piston will sit to high in the cylinder, that will be the first problem, not sure how far up but could be .060" over the top and the one ring is real close to the top of the piston already. Then need to cut the bottom of the piston, drill holes are the pins, angle the lower skirts, and add the two port holes in the piston to match the 2 upper cyld ports.
When I get the crank in the cases with the piston on the rod with the cyld on, then I will know what I have to do. If it looks good ordering another Z1 40mm piston kit and one more C1 39mm 50cc piston there only $17.99 shipped everything even the pin bear and pin, never know when they are going to stop making parts,lol.
That $18 Z1 two shoe rep racing clutch fits real good on the eng of the Cag 12mm crank and has a slot for a key, won't know if the bell and housing will work till I get the new Cag cases. Haven't tried that Z1 clutch on my C1 crank shaft, that's why I bought it, think the crank taper is to small. Hope the parts come today in the mail,lol.

Attachments

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
HaH, Sounds like a project for sure.. Has SD scooters ever broken up a bike for parts like that? That would be cool.. I'm still waiting on a **** super lagging check so I can order the rest of my parts.. **** Waiting sucks. Esp when work is slow.... Bah!

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah I am afraid to buy another bike, my wife might cut something off while I am asleep,lol. Last week she said, look at all these bikes, all 10,lol, plus the 2 other projects on going. The A2 Polini project is between the dinning & living room and parts all over. She has a good point, so I gave her a wad of money to go buy some new shoes and clothes, that got her off my back for a week or so,lol,lol.
Want to get my C1 back together with the new SS exh. and soft racing tires and see how it feels,lol. Looks like the pipe will leave room for me to lift the choke knob up and twist, unlike the stock exhaust.
On that Z1 clutch, it's real heavy probably going to drill holes in the steel backing plate to lighten it, maybe the shoes too.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
NICE! How long does it last till it burns away? After it does burn away do you notice a negative result or just back to normal.. If I did this would I have to tear apart the engine and do it every few races?

Soo many tricks, so little time... lol
It lasts pretty long,,It has no negative effects as the teflon gets embedded into the crosshatches in the cylinder and becomes a lil harder to get rid of but when it wears down its back to normal.......I teflon coat alot of things,,,Teflon is the key ingredient in slick50.....

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah teflon helps alot. There use to be Florocote teflon oil additive, you are suppose to put it on cylinders an rings and stuff that have seated. You can pour it in to your hot engine oil or wipe the parts with it and bake it in your oven at 350 degrees for one hour. Looking for a dealer, they are like Avon dealers,lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts