Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stormin' Mormon
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that its summer im back and finally have time to play with my bike :) i did a simple tear down and cleaned it up when i noticed something. My rear sprocket does not line up with my pinion gear. hmm maybe that explains why my chain keeps falling off? I have the bell housing with the 3rd bearing support so would it be possible to unscrew the pinion gear out a little to get it to line up with my sprocket? im sure i wont be able to use the 3rd bearing support anymore but i dont have it on anyways, or is that thing important?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Back at the rear tire, are you sure the spacers for the wheel / axle are on the right sides? they are usually different sizes, Thanks allot China! <----not really!

It might be as simple as pulling the spacers, switching them to the other side, and then putting it back together.

Well now that its summer im back and finally have time to play with my bike :) i did a simple tear down and cleaned it up when i noticed something. My rear sprocket does not line up with my pinion gear. hmm maybe that explains why my chain keeps falling off? I have the bell housing with the 3rd bearing support so would it be possible to unscrew the pinion gear out a little to get it to line up with my sprocket? im sure i wont be able to use the 3rd bearing support anymore but i dont have it on anyways, or is that thing important?

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Easier and safer to shim the rear wheel over than unscrew the pinion. You want the pinion good and tight, otherwise you can spin it right off the clutch bell.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Id oblong the engine mount screw holes in the engine plate and relocate the engine to get it as straight as possible.

The newer 2011 pos cags come with slotted engine mount screw holes..............

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Thank you, come again! <---The Simpsons?

Wow, the long lines are moving pretty darn fast around here.

Wonder why we still have NO sponsors?????? some of you dudes selling so much stuff might want to step up and kick in, it will go to contests etc, it will add more support, it will let us do google ad-words, to get more users and traffic etc.

I've been watching the PM stats..... :thumbsup::p:thumbsup:

·
Stormin' Mormon
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the spacers are the same size. Ill try fiddling with the spacers and washers to see if i can move it over, im not sure if the rear caliper will give me trouble, im sure i can adjust it over too. If all wont work i think making the engine mount holes in the frame elongated will be the best route. Thanks guys!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
My Lucky 7 has just holes no slots, and I changed engines and did not check and blew the chain & 3rd bearing cover off the engine. It was off 3/16", No Way that will work,lol.

·
Stormin' Mormon
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question about gearing. My current setup is 6/74 cause I wanted it to pull hard. how will 7/74 work? Will it be harder on my clutch and will it give me a little more top end without killing my low end? I weigh around 165

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
One tooth up front won't make a big difference, just a tad higher, and it is alot easier on your chain too.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
7/74 will still pull pretty hard, and yes, you should gain a little top end. Your clutch should be fine, too.

here's a quick trick for chain alignment: get a metal straightedge, like a ruler, and lay the edge across both pinion and sprocket. The straightedge should lay flat across the faces of both. If so, then you have a pretty good shot at keeping your chain on. If the ruler only touches the front edge or back edge of the pinion/sprocket, you'll have an alignment problem, and will be more likely to throw the chain.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Here is a random guess I did on my own, JUST kidding, this calculator is AWESOME! it's setup for 6.5" tires, I think. you can also change them to "Mid-bike" tire sizes too!

Minimoto Garage - East Coast Minimoto Speed Calculator

Go check it out, tell them you followed a link from PBP and thanks for letting us link to it from Nick!

Doooo It, How fast "should" your bike actually be going, If it's way too fast, quit lying, if it's way too slow, start a new thread, or link us back to the "old" thread, lets make it as fast as it is supposed to be!

:p:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
7/74 will still pull pretty hard, and yes, you should gain a little top end. Your clutch should be fine, too.

here's a quick trick for chain alignment: get a metal straightedge, like a ruler, and lay the edge across both pinion and sprocket. The straightedge should lay flat across the faces of both. If so, then you have a pretty good shot at keeping your chain on. If the ruler only touches the front edge or back edge of the pinion/sprocket, you'll have an alignment problem, and will be more likely to throw the chain.
When I started playing with my trophy cag I immediately took care of the dragging brakes and checked for a misaligned engine and rear wheel..........Look how the rear wheel adjusters arent even on both sides.......................Thats what it took to get the rear wheel perfectly inline with the clutch pinion.The frame is either tweaked or welded crappy...I use a straitline laser and a few others too

My Polini 910 w/c is running a 10/56..............The topend is awesome..............

My Zenoah powered cag w/14.5:1 compression engine is running a 7/47

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Nice ..... looks like that gear bolted right up to the stock Cag wheel. Good to know, since I'll be doing that sometime soon myself. Debating on the A2 frame or the A3 frame, though.

I'll take "Crappy Welding" for $400, Alex ....

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Here is a random guess I did on my own, JUST kidding, this calculator is AWESOME! it's setup for 6.5" tires, I think. you can also change them to "Mid-bike" tire sizes too!

Minimoto Garage - East Coast Minimoto Speed Calculator

Go check it out, tell them you followed a link from PBP and thanks for letting us link to it from Nick!

Doooo It, How fast "should" your bike actually be going, If it's way too fast, quit lying, if it's way too slow, start a new thread, or link us back to the "old" thread, lets make it as fast as it is supposed to be!

:p:thumbsup:
Not bad Nick but it may be a tad flawed..............It says my zenoah cags gonna go 70.41 mph..............lol

Ill be happy if it hits my theoretical 52-55 mph mark Ive figured.................Only two more tankfuls,,a plug change and a tune then ill be finding out.......

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Nice ..... looks like that gear bolted right up to the stock Cag wheel. Good to know, since I'll be doing that sometime soon myself. Debating on the A2 frame or the A3 frame, though.

I'll take "Crappy Welding" for $400, Alex ....
Yeah the sprockets are mostly interchangeable except if its a 4 screw mount sprocket

Dont do it to a rear suspension bike IMO.............Thats an X1 basically..........

LOL on crappy welding for $400....................lol

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Maybe the Cateye speedometer was used to "Crunch The Numbers" ??? :p
I get 35" circumference on a 6.5" rear wheel with a tire size of 110/50-6.5...Different tire sizes have different circumferences

On my kart tach the stock 40mm cag engine was revving at 12,477 rpms.......

Them slight adjustments make a pretty big difference.............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts