Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the cheap plastic puller broke, ordered a new one but was wondering is there another way to start the bike with out it, we tried using a drill to crank it over but it seems like its too slow.

any info will help but as of now it seems were just gona have to wait on the part

·
PB FREAK
468 Posts
A battery operated drill isnt going to turn it over fast enough.. i used a standard plug in drill to start mine. I DONT recommend doing this though.. chances are you will strip the bolt or even if it does crank up, the bolt will come out and you will be riding with a flywheel inches from your leg ready to fly off.. order a metal starter from amazon. i still got mine and its super strong! trust me, your gonna be happy with it.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I think daves still has $9 alum starter covers in Red & maybe gray or silver ww356 in the search box.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Hot tip: When using the pullstart, do 3/4 pulls. If you do full pulls out to the end of the cord (ya did, didn't you?), you run the risk of snapping the rope and/or the outer shell of hte pullstart.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hot tip: When using the pullstart, do 3/4 pulls. If you do full pulls out to the end of the cord (ya did, didn't you?), you run the risk of snapping the rope and/or the outer shell of hte pullstart.
Spoken like another man with some experience in this DEPT.

i was thinking about rigging up an electric start kind of like I had on one of my Go-Kart motors. It's separate from the bike and you put it up to the fly wheel pretty much like a drill but with the pawl assembly on the end of it. Not hard to do really. The only down fall would be that if I didn't have my starter, the thing would be dead if it stopped running unless I found a way to integrate it with my pull start.

Hmmm.... this calls for some beer and time to look over some spare parts now that i think about it.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Well, I occasionally run across the guys who think doing it with an electric drill is "da bomb" .... I like pointing out to these guys, "Okay, so you fire up the bike in your garage with the electric drill, and take the bike out for a spin. You're out riding and having a good time, when the engine quits on you. Oops, you can't start the bike again, because the drill is sitting at home in your garage - enjoy the long walk home pushing the bike." That usually gets followed up with, "Then again, if you got real smart, you could fix up a cool funky holster for the drill to attach to your bike's fairings." They kinda get the point after that, and go back to repairing or replacing the original pullstart.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There's gotta be a way to make this drill attachment using the original pull start so you have both options. I didn't get the opportunity to sit down with Mr. Sam Adams to discuss this in depth like I wanted to do tonight :(

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I will build a starter, for the drag bike engines, hopefully the first engine will start the second engine if you rev it to the right rpms. The second engine will have a pull starter just incase.
You need a tube that will fit over the starter legs that catch the cog on the starter cover. Then you put a starter cog on a shaft inside the tube. Then you can use a broken plastic housing drill a hole big the size of the starter tube, stick it in, hit the flywheel legs, and the drill or what power source you use.

·
Registered
371 Posts
so the cheap plastic puller broke, ordered a new one but was wondering is there another way to start the bike with out it, we tried using a drill to crank it over but it seems like its too slow.

any info will help but as of now it seems were just gona have to wait on the part
find a big hill and jump start it.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Won't work, the bell will spin & the rear wheel will spin around but the clutches will not budge. You could hook it up direct drive and bumb start it,lol,lol.

·
PB FREAK
468 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Won't work, the bell will spin & the rear wheel will spin around but the clutches will not budge. You could hook it up direct drive and bumb start it,lol,lol.
lol,it was a joke mate

we have brick saws at work,the rope always goes on them so a little trick ive seen played a few times,,is to get the apprentice to run along with the blade on the floor trying to get it started,,,you would be surprised how many people dont have a clue about engines

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I was too. But I am serious about the power starter deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yeah I having same issue where's my son pocket rocket somebody took the pull cord casing off of it and lost it because the pull cord grip the pull cord out but yeah if it's not a corded power drill it will not work if you got the pull rope housing you can wrap a shoestring or thick rope around it a couple times and should be able to pull it off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts