Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
Just bought a CAG Minimotard 2.5 copy for me and my 6 year old son to play with. When I got it, it had the recoil starter/cover missing. I just ordered one off Ebay. Hopefully it'll fit. Spinning the flywheel by hand though, it doesn't seem to have a spark. Hopefully, I just can't spin it fast enough by hand. I'm gonna put a wood block on my DeWalt cordless and try to spin it later, but just in case, does anyone know where I can get a coil assembly? It looks like we're gonna have a lot of fun with this!!

Dan in SoCal

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Welcome to pbp. :)

You can get the coils on ebay and amazon. Thats where i buy my cags parts for my sons bike. I also bought a metal pull start off of amazon. The first one was broke and they shipped me a new one for free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot RepoBike. Can you verify that it is a CAG? I know it's not an actual Blata Minimotard 2.5. It has Chinese QC stickers all over it. Mechanical disc brakes front and back. Suspension front and back. Can't find many(if any) markings or numbers on it. Except the side plate says Minimotard 2.5

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Looks like the engine as the 49cc CAG reed engine. But im on my iphone so its kinda hard to tell. Take some pic of the engine. EPR and CAM2 know the CAGs and Blatas inside and out. They tell you everythin you need to know.

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
Greetings all,
Just bought a CAG Minimotard 2.5 copy for me and my 6 year old son to play with. When I got it, it had the recoil starter/cover missing. I just ordered one off Ebay. Hopefully it'll fit. Spinning the flywheel by hand though, it doesn't seem to have a spark. Hopefully, I just can't spin it fast enough by hand. I'm gonna put a wood block on my DeWalt cordless and try to spin it later, but just in case, does anyone know where I can get a coil assembly? It looks like we're gonna have a lot of fun with this!!

Dan in SoCal

Thats a pocket dirtbike..The engine is the same as a cag and could be either 43 or 49cc........

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
Yes it is a cag engine theres only two different type of engines..Reeded and piston ported....This is a piston ported engine...

Your engine is 43cc reed inducted cag engine they were formerly known as 39cc cag engines.I edited your pic below to show you what tipped me off........

These are both 43cc cylinder heads..The fins connect all the way around in the inside bends..

The 47cc labeled ones are actually the 49cc engines..$9cc engines dont have cylinder fins that connect all the way around...Theres a slight break in the fins at the bends..

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showthread.php?t=79905

49cc on the left///43cc on the right ...All cylinder heads above them are 43cc /40mm......

49cc BBK's

Attachments

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
Cam, dude, thanks so much for the heavy lifting. Who's got the best OEM type coil? It looks like I have no spark.
Seeings the coils are chinese they are a crapshoot on quality but for price you cant beat ebay......look under 39/47cc pocketbike parts.

Make sure the sparkplug is good and the gap between the coil and flywheel is .020" and make sure the magnets/coil thongs are rust free.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm dumbfounded. New Coil, gapped 0.020". New plug, gapped 0.030". Spinning the engine with a wood block and my Dewalt Cordless drill at a pretty good clip, and yet still no spark. I cleaned the mating surfaces between the engine case and the coil with sandpaper. Flywheel magnets are clean and rust free, so are the feet on the coil. I'm at a loss. Any ideas anyone?

·
Banned
21,780 Posts
I'm dumbfounded. New Coil, gapped 0.020". New plug, gapped 0.030". Spinning the engine with a wood block and my Dewalt Cordless drill at a pretty good clip, and yet still no spark. I cleaned the mating surfaces between the engine case and the coil with sandpaper. Flywheel magnets are clean and rust free, so are the feet on the coil. I'm at a loss. Any ideas anyone?

Yeah....Get a new coil..........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys all Rock!! Especially CAM. It needs a float bowl gasket (drips a little gas). I already adjusted the float level down a little (maybe it needs a little more). Does it sound a little rich? Check out the Youtube vids.

Thanks again All!. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here

Dan__

·
Git R Dun PBracer
750 Posts
Sounds good. That thing hauls. I gotta look into one of those. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.