Pocketbike Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 320 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
the problem is these bikes where never built with any standards so the best way is for you to post up pictures of what your working on and maybe someone can help sort out the china mess

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Does anyone know if a gx390 will fit in this bike. The motor will have a custom pipe and no gas tank.
You can install this engine into an APC mini chopper also the mini harley...

Your only real problem is melding together a jackshaft setup that will allow both to meld seamlesly.........…

Other problems would be making the bike handle the extra weight that will be exerted on the stock frame by adding a steel plate to mount the engine on...also the cheesy suspension which makes the ride real sketchy...The brakes too will feel like someone oiled the rotors....LOL

A GX390 is like 80-90 lbs and a lot of torque,,,Youll also need a very reliable rear wheel to handle that too.

I took one of those mini Harleys and slapped a second modified 43cc engine on it for a combined total of around 8.5hp...

Good Luck

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
The bike is at my farm rn when I go down I'll upload some pictures and Maby I can get some help
You would be better off selling the 13hp and going with a 3.5-7.0hp engine....If not a good set of forks,,fabricated rear swingarm and hydraulic brakes just to handle the extra weight is gonna run ya on excess of $300.00 if you don't have other bikes you can salvage that sort of stuff from then in that case may make a better project aswell...

I also have a chopper with a 13hp but these aren't the APC chinese style....they're American made

I also shoehorned a 13hp engine in my Buggy....

·
Registered
12 Posts
The bike is at my farm rn when I go down I'll upload some pictures and Maby I can get some help
You would be better off selling the 13hp and going with a 3.5-7.0hp engine....If not a good set of forks,,fabricated rear swingarm and hydraulic brakes just to handle the extra weight is gonna run ya on excess of $300.00 if you don't have other bikes you can salvage that sort of stuff from then in that case may make a better project aswell...

I also have a chopper with a 13hp but these aren't the APC chinese style....they're American made

I also shoehorned a 13hp engine in my Buggy....
I haven't got the motor yet but thanks for the info I was thinking a gx200 and if I want more speed I'll mod it

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I haven't got the motor yet but thanks for the info I was thinking a gx200 and if I want more speed I'll mod it
Yeah the GX200 wsould definitely be the better choice even though Id still go with the GX140....They're torquemonster motors designed for industrial useages and with a lil mods will give you plenty of speed and not cost you a mint but still be very aware and very warned that if you leave the stock suspension and cable activated brakes you're gonna be in for a very unusual and wild ride at speeds above 35mph...……....

Believe me when I say theres been members that have swapped in the 45lb engine in place of the 25lb powerplant batt/wiring that was in there and that extra 20lbs really gives a lot of unexpected feedback...

Im pretty sure theres only a few members that have done it that didn't get seriously hurt and Im pretty sure the 1 guy that swapped in a 4hp snowblower engine into his friends cateye got pretty hurt pretty badly..It was on youtube for a lil while then it disappeared.

He was blazing across a parking lot with a slight dip that he hit at 35-40mph. He hit the asphalt hard doing a wicked chestplant when the pogostick suspension with 750lb rated capacity rear spring bucked him up and off of the thing he was riding with very little to no effort..... ..He literally shot off the seat like he was fired from a slingshot....

The 2/3 scale chopper below can be made steet legal and has a very strong steel rear rim with beefy steel hub to bolt the rear sprocket and brake disc to...

Theres only a rear brake on it and the rear caliper is from one of those shifter karts...

It was designed for the 6.5/7hp engine but I had to see if I could stretch the limits lest short of shoehorning-in the 99 ninja250 engine I have sitting on the floor in one of my storage units...

Just the rolling frame weighs about 175lbs and is made in America.....The GX390 is 85-90lbs...

This thing was built with a 6.5 ohv w/TAV...Theres a GX390 in it now...Its a real handful to ride on dirt or asphalt.....It sits more than its used....Its hard to know when the frontend leaves the ground making any evasive maneuvers almost impossible to perform quickly;- thank goodness for the rear brake on the live axle....LOL.

You can see where I practically bi-sected the backhalf by cutting and raising it like 5" to make room to shoehorn in the huge azz engine..

I got the red oldschool 70's model Manco minibike for free remodeled into a slightly more modernized drag minibike less the wheelie bars with extended front forks from a Honda 200cc trike narrowed down that's being powered by a heavily modified alky / methanol huffing 4hp 2 stroke snowthrower engine mounted inside a 5hp flattop lower housing...On alky it ran a nice 70-72mph and was a blast to ride...…..

Last pic below was how I sold it on craigslist after having my fun with it.....LOL

It still ran but only topped out at around 40mph on pump gas as it was pretty worn out with nil compression left to it....LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah the GX200 wsould definitely be the better choice even though Id still go with the GX140....They're torquemonster motors designed for industrial useages and with a lil mods will give you plenty of speed and not cost you a mint but still be very aware and very warned that if you leave the stock suspension and cable activated brakes you're gonna be in for a very unusual and wild ride at speeds above 35mph...……....

Believe me when I say theres been members that have swapped in the 45lb engine in place of the 25lb powerplant batt/wiring that was in there and that extra 20lbs really gives a lot of unexpected feedback...

Im pretty sure theres only a few members that have done it that didn't get seriously hurt and Im pretty sure the 1 guy that swapped in a 4hp snowblower engine into his friends cateye got pretty hurt pretty badly..It was on youtube for a lil while then it disappeared.

He was blazing across a parking lot with a slight dip that he hit at 35-40mph. He hit the asphalt hard doing a wicked chestplant when the pogostick suspension with 750lb rated capacity rear spring bucked him up and off of the thing he was riding with very little to no effort..... ..He literally shot off the seat like he was fired from a slingshot....

The 2/3 scale chopper below can be made steet legal and has a very strong steel rear rim with beefy steel hub to bolt the rear sprocket and brake disc to...

Theres only a rear brake on it and the rear caliper is from one of those shifter karts...

It was designed for the 6.5/7hp engine but I had to see if I could stretch the limits lest short of shoehorning-in the 99 ninja250 engine I have sitting on the floor in one of my storage units...

Just the rolling frame weighs about 175lbs and is made in America.....The GX390 is 85-90lbs...

This thing was built with a 6.5 ohv w/TAV...Theres a GX390 in it now...Its a real handful to ride on dirt or asphalt.....It sits more than its used....Its hard to know when the frontend leaves the ground making any evasive maneuvers almost impossible to perform quickly;- thank goodness for the rear brake on the live axle....LOL.

You can see where I practically bi-sected the backhalf by cutting and raising it like 5" to make room to shoehorn in the huge azz engine..

I got the red oldschool 70's model Manco minibike for free remodeled into a slightly more modernized drag minibike less the wheelie bars with extended front forks from a Honda 200cc trike narrowed down that's being powered by a heavily modified alky / methanol huffing 4hp 2 stroke snowthrower engine mounted inside a 5hp flattop lower housing...On alky it ran a nice 70-72mph and was a blast to ride...…..

Last pic below was how I sold it on craigslist after having my fun with it.....LOL

It still ran but only topped out at around 40mph on pump gas as it was pretty worn out with nil compression left to it....LOL

where can I buy upgraded suspension? And where can I find pics of a harness or buy one, I need to know what goes where, and where goes what.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
where can I buy upgraded suspension? And where can I find pics of a harness or buy one, I need to know what goes where, and where goes what.
Thats the fun about these bikes...........

Figuring out things needed and solving problems of things built by 12-13 year old Chinese kids...LOL...……It sounds like you're gonna need a multimeter and a notebook to write in.

The best parts is theres members here that have had your same or similar problems and theres threads with posts on how to overcome them by either fixing,,retrofitting or deleting the problems...

The worst part is finding those threads and posts.........

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
you can remove that wired up tangle of a loop around mess then rewire the bike using a common ground scheme...

You will see when you try to fix the wiring when you strip the wires back that there's only three strands of copper in there you will also find that some of the connectors are poorly soldered poorly crimped water and corrosion damage and that's honestly why the wiring harness fails on those things and why you can't get a picture of one because everybody's removed it from their bike...

here is for the blinkers the other stuff is easy

https://www.billetproofdesign.com/c...-waterproof-electronics-with-diagnostic-leds/

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for advice how to remove the rear brake drum from the rim without damaging the rim. The drum seems to be pressed in, I've got a new brake set but it's different than original. Looking to change all and trying to figure out how to remove original drum and then install the new one.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Looking for advice how to remove the rear brake drum from the rim without damaging the rim. The drum seems to be pressed in, I've got a new brake set but it's different than original. Looking to change all and trying to figure out how to remove original drum and then install the new one.
It spins off...Theres two holes that requires a spanner type tool to remove it.....

If you don't care about the old brake drum you can simply use a lil heat and a pipe wrench as they get loctited too...……..

Lefty loosie,,,Righty tighty......

Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
CAM2
Thank you so much!
I was ready to cut off the old drum and see how to install the new one. Now I will try to spin it off.
I also really like your rear drum to disk brake conversion. What was involved? I believe some bracket fabrication?

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Hardware store, for brackets and stuff I use Stanley zinc plated hinges and flat bar shelf supports, and make my own.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
CAM2
Thank you so much!
I was ready to cut off the old drum and see how to install the new one. Now I will try to spin it off.
I also really like your rear drum to disk brake conversion. What was involved? I believe some bracket fabrication?
You're welcome....

I just used an X1 rear swingarm and modified it....This is when I was mocking it up...……I melded it with the APC mini Harley pivot.....

I also used the caliper and caliper bracket from the X1 also...

To adapt the disc without having to use a disc brake adapter I used the 3 holes in the rimhalf hub from the sprocket side of another single rearwheel rim and I used the stock wheel spacers....

Attachments

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Sometimes in the art of customizing things its very rare you see such extensive modifications yet seem so subtle and natural.

If you look closely youll notice that the space between the engines was increased by 4".

This was achieved by cutting the frame between the engines and cut under the seat pan then drawn back 4" and the space on the lower frame rail spliced in with an 8" long piece of quality steel tubing from an old 70's model bicycle..

As with all dragbikes having a working rear suspension isn't as ideal as you'd imagine so they make whats known as static bars....Static bars turn a bike with rear suspension into a rigid rider.

Well the dual rearshocks are my sleeper version of static bars by being modified to never compress but still look asthetically functional..……...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very cool, CAM2!
My project is moving slowly. Have to source rubber primer for carb (the original one is cracked) or better to buy a new carb? In the end it's only $15. Also looking what material to use for exhaust gasket.

281 - 300 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.