Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this before the crash but I think its good info for new people:

OK, so I've spent some time online and doing some homework since I've noticed different threads saying, "I paid this much here", and there and I've noticed some good prices to downright highway robbery (in my opinion. Some times I have even noticed that 2 seperate parts have a different price then the parts together in a kit. Without further adue here is the places I compared off of (I used a acronymn to keep from typing things 8000 times):

www.hpminimods.com (hpm)
www.pocketbikesunlimited.com (pbu)
www.teamgonads.com (tgn)
www.adaracing.com (ada)
www.toyjunkies.com (tjnk)
www.4myscooter.com (4my)

I also checked www.scooterworld.com. Unfortunately there site was so messy and overlapping I wasnt sure what the prices were, and if a business cant show me the products clearly for me to buy then I dont shop there. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them. They are actually highly recommended, and had a very large selections of parts I think. Also of worthy mention is ebay. As you read on if you encounter a price that says ??? that means they either didnt have that part listed seperately or I missed it. I know all the dots look a little crazy but its like the only way I could get it to resemble a chart, take a sec and look at it and it will make sense. The intitals of the place run across the top with thier prices for the parts under it.

..............................PBU.....HPM.....TGN. ....ADA.....4MY.....TJNK
Air Filter & Stack........$29.....$25......$25......$20......$2 0......???
Exhaust Pipe..............$160...$140....$110*...???.....$ 120....???
Rocket Key................$12.....$12......???......$10.. ....$12......$13
Carb.........................???.....$75......$40. .....$50......???......$70
V-stack.....................$11.....???......$12.... ..$9.......???......???
Juice Box/Bottle.........$98.....???......???......$60...... $60......???
Sprockets (rear).........$28.....???......$25......???...... $26......???
Locker Bearing...........$38.....???......$35......???... ...???......???

* - mean the X-can

Lets do some basic kit comparisions.
A stage 1 from PBU is a v-stack, filter and pipe $190.
A PBU stage 2 kit is the same sa a stage 1 with the addition on a carb $314.
A stage 1 from toyjunkies (same as PBU's stage 2) is a pipe, carb, rocket key, filter, and v-stack $199?
The equivilant from TGN x-can, carb, filter, v-stack (they didnt have a rocket key)= $175
The same stuff from HPminimods (carb, rockey key, pipe, filter & v-stack) = $255

Now lets talk PBU. Thier stage 2 kit (pipe, filter, stack, rocket key & carb) is $314. Thier stage 2 kit plus a boost tube ($98) is $412. However when you buy thier stage 3 which is the exact same thing (a stage 2 kit with a boost tube) included its $424. So if I get that right it means they are charging you $10 for putting one thing in your shopping bag instead of 2. Personal thoughts is they are ripping you off for not reading into things.

Now lets add the cheapest finds and compare it, and I'll even add in some extra since you'd pay more for s&h for multiple places:

Filter & stack $20
Pipe $110
Rocket Key $10
Carb $40
Juice Box $60
S&H from multiple places $40
TOTAL $280
DIFFERENCE $424-$280= ONE HUNDRED FOURTY FOUR DOLLARS!

The moral of this story? I dunno I guess its that most of us work hard (at least I do) for your hard earned dollars, be careful where you spend it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
ya i dont think i would ever do business with pbu. i dont like people that try ripping you off so much when they are new to the sport. ada is a great place, and there parts are some of the best around. just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
my only real worry, is are the pbu parts any good??? I know they are the most expensive, but from what I have seen, they are the best quality out there... correct me if I am wrong, I am new to pocketbikes, and I only want the best...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Great post ! Mblough .It is exactly the kind of info that a newsgroup should share . Without a doubt , it will keep dealers sharp when pricing thier goods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Parts are nearly similiar. After researching about every damn part, I found the O'Neill kit was the cheapest and contained everything listed above except the Juice Box.

It comes with the Walboro WT-603, Rocket key, Sikk Toys exhaust, stack and filter. Ive noticed the 603 can be purchased at various places for much more, and for no other reason than profit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
basically it all comes down to this: whatever the dealer wants to add-on for profit. these dealers get their parts a lot cheaper than you think. r-sport gets their wheels and rims for 20 bucks a pop! but they charge another 20 per rim/wheel. o'neille just decided to charge a little less compared to the usual vendors. pbu just decided to charge a ridiculous amount of money for the parts. the prices are all dependant on the vendor and whatever they feel they 'think' they can charge, or they 'know' they can charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
the carb in the oneill bros kit is a wt668. but it works just fine for me. just had a little trouble figuring out which F/A ratio screw was which. boosted helped me out a lot on that one.

if anyone gets the kit and needs help installing the carb, let me know. i might be able to clear things up since there are no installation instructions.

oh and keep in mind that u will still need to get your hands on a fly wheel puller to install the rocket key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
this post was very helpful, im new to pocketbikes and im glad i could find information like this before i put twice what my bikes worth into HP parts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
pEsCaDoR said:
the carb in the oneill bros kit is a wt668. but it works just fine for me. just had a little trouble figuring out which F/A ratio screw was which. boosted helped me out a lot on that one.

if anyone gets the kit and needs help installing the carb, let me know. i might be able to clear things up since there are no installation instructions.

oh and keep in mind that u will still need to get your hands on a fly wheel puller to install the rocket key.
Nope. 2 M8 x 1.25" x 80mm bolts will work just fine.

Oddly, the carb has 2 stampings, one "H" and one "L". According to online guides, the longer screw is low and shorter is high. Its opposite on the carb itself. Unless those dont mean anything...

About where do you have your carb set at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
x1power said:
my only real worry, is are the pbu parts any good??? I know they are the most expensive, but from what I have seen, they are the best quality out there... correct me if I am wrong, I am new to pocketbikes, and I only want the best...
I have only seen quality parts from PBU and Scott has always been very helpful. There are alot of places to get parts from but when it comes to exhaust for the cags and 380/R1 no one matches the performance of the PBU pipes. You have some choices with the X1. Proline makes the best performing pipe for a top end engine, and its a good loud. Use this pipe for ported cylinders and racing. The other pipes come from PBU. They make 2 nice pipes 1-power pipe (revs higher than power pipe)at $162.00 and 2-the super pipe(has stronger bottom/midrange pull) for $159.00. Hope this helps but what ever you do don't buy any other pipe for a X1 than one of the 3 listed. I have been through this and now run a proline pipe. Check out my thread inGeneral/manufactures/ Mid bikes/Super bikes and click on 47mph X1 mostly stock. Its pretty sweet. I do not know if yu have a CVT but the speed is found in tunning. Check it out. AS THE SAYING GOES "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Mblough said:
I posted this before the crash but I think its good info for new people:

OK, so I've spent some time online and doing some homework since I've noticed different threads saying, "I paid this much here", and there and I've noticed some good prices to downright highway robbery (in my opinion. Some times I have even noticed that 2 seperate parts have a different price then the parts together in a kit. Without further adue here is the places I compared off of (I used a acronymn to keep from typing things 8000 times):
The moral of this story? I dunno I guess its that most of us work hard (at least I do) for your hard earned dollars, be careful where you spend it.
The moral of this story is, do not repost something from the past when prices have changed and items have changed as well. I visted all of those websites and found nothing to be true in less then a few weeks of you posting this. Yeah some places have different prices but overall who offers the best service? I checked the prices and they all were pretty close to the same with PBU actually being the higher priced site. I remember reading this post quite a while ago before the crash... Please redo your research if the research is out of date...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
MiniRacer187 said:
The moral of this story is, do not repost something from the past when prices have changed and items have changed as well. I visted all of those websites and found nothing to be true in less then a few weeks of you posting this. Yeah some places have different prices but overall who offers the best service? I checked the prices and they all were pretty close to the same with PBU actually being the higher priced site. I remember reading this post quite a while ago before the crash... Please redo your research if the research is out of date...
The prices I listed were looked up as I posted my $.02 bisides some of us like to talk to each other and not only do research. We all have not been here since before the crash and we all cannot make it to chat on WED. If the post is old news don't read it. Old post seem to get farther and farther away and almost get lost so. Maybe we want a current opinion/review and don't mind putting in our $.02. I DO NOT think I speak alone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
orignally posted by miniracer187

The moral of this story is, do not repost something from the past when prices have changed and items have changed as well.
Please redo your research if the research is out of date...
Dude im sorry but this is a tad rude, why should I be the one to redo the research? Instead of griping over my thread; why not help or do a little bit of research on the subject and help us all out?

Thanks for the input but I originally posted it only like a week before the crash so it wasnt old then. However none of the stores have drastically changed thier prices. PBU & hpmini are still the most expensive shops around. From what I've heard lately they are also the worst to deal with in terms of getting an order or tracking number out unless you call them.

Anyway I've been thinking about redoing the thread anyway. So what I am asking for is sites to include. So far I am thinking:

pbu, hpmini, ada, tgn, & ddm. I know people have mentioned oneill but do they have a site other than on ebay?

Any other suggestions for sites out there?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top