Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PBP Whats happening....?..........I have a ton of good X1/X2 bottomends that have busted mounts making them incapable of being securely mounted again.........Until Now.....

I got tired of having them sitting around so I pulled one to the side and wondered what it would take to get these cases mounted tight enough to be of use again in some of my other projects........

Heres what I came up with............Im sorry but the pics showing the busted mounts didnt come out right and I cant go back......When I pull out a few more cases Ill resnap pics and have it added.............

I removed the flywheel to mod it by clipping the tips 1/2" to make clearance for the fix bolts..

I took cleaner and degreased the case,,sanded it with 80 grit in the repair areas.....

I reshaped a couple of fender washers to fit the shape of the fancover

The mount that still had a leg I trimmed the case leg mount back the thickness of the nut and washer I added............

The other side I used a couple fender washers to sandwich the case in between and used multimetal epoxy to fill the voids from the breakage

I took some grade 10 screws and multimetal epoxied them into place then used washers and nuts to secure them into place........

The screws I used are beefier than the screws the chinese used to mount the engine from the factory therefore the mount holes in the plate have to be enlarged aswell.......

Good luck to you and..........."Thanks for Looking"............

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Nice job Cam2. Ive gotten a cag. With a broken motor mount. I used simpson 22 epoxy to fix it. It still holds together. I love that stuff. Its 3500 psi holding strength.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys and Youre Welcome.............I try to get the most out of my good junk.lol.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
What ever works Cam2, keep on trucken!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks Cam,

This is an ongoing issue when users forget to tighten the engine mount bolts leading to a mess. It usually starts with the chain being tightened instead of the bolts. The chain keeps popping off due to misalignment caused by the motor mount being loose. Standard fix is applied and the chain gets tightened. Soon the chain is tightened too much for the engine mount and it breaks. Each time the chain pops off it compounds the problem. It is often damaged or damages the sprockets. If the motor mount bolts were checked frequently and have thread lock on them it wouldnt be as big a problem. Hopefully your fix will lead to less expensive and simpler repairs.

This also applies to most of chinese made stand-up gas scooters.

Hugh
SDscooters

·
Registered
32 Posts
thats good thinking thanks dude i have a few broken my self from throwin in nitro fuel in my gas to make it more lean on the gas side and richin it on the carb side which that was a bad idea lol, yet i was only starting out on povket bikes.. but thanks agian for the tip

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got this cateye and when i was dissasembling i noticed mine are broke too... instead of welding the pre existing pieces back i might try your method.....

·
Bicycle with Engine
881 Posts
Very clever idea Cam, just noticed a broken mount on one of my engines... Ever had any difficulty with re-mounting the engine with the bolts sticking out like that?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very clever idea Cam, just noticed a broken mount on one of my engines... Ever had any difficulty with re-mounting the engine with the bolts sticking out like that?
Nope I just put the engine into the mount screws first then push in and down.......It fits like a glove....The fixed engine block is now on my R/C buggy and holding strong still.........:thumbsup:

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
New cases are $25 at PB parts in Florida, with my 10% discount and free shipping on a $100 order. I got one Cag reed port and X2 piston port cases for $22.50 each, still need bearings and seals, online there cheap.
Got to keep the engine mount bolts tight or they will break, there petty weak looking already.

·
Bicycle with Engine
881 Posts
Believe it or not the engine case I ordered from pb parts.com was the one that broke the mount, lol. There was also a widened groove at the top of the cases around the cylinder skirt which made blueprinting a tad more difficult and didn't match up as nicely as the original cases did... The pullstarter bolt holes were drilled and tapped a bit off from the original starter housing which also made installation of the starter a tad difficult w/ out stripping any threads...

I'm going to try this idea and test mounting the engine in a cateye style mounting plate since the holes are widened vertically and looks like the engine should slip right in.... Some of the engine mounts I've designed for my shifter bikes are another story, you should see how tricky it is trying to maneuver the engine into this mount, lol.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Believe it or not the engine case I ordered from pb parts.com was the one that broke the mount, lol. There was also a widened groove at the top of the cases around the cylinder skirt which made blueprinting a tad more difficult and didn't match up as nicely as the original cases did... The pullstarter bolt holes were drilled and tapped a bit off from the original starter housing which also made installation of the starter a tad difficult w/ out stripping any threads...

I'm going to try this idea and test mounting the engine in a cateye style mounting plate since the holes are widened vertically and looks like the engine should slip right in.... Some of the engine mounts I've designed for my shifter bikes are another story, you should see how tricky it is trying to maneuver the engine into this mount, lol.
Oh I got ya about mount complexity.......My scooter isnt exactly plug n play even though it seems to be................LOL

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
That engine ain't going anywhere, with all them mounts, even the back of the CVT is mounted to the frame. I need to mount a 8mm or even #420 chain gear to the front pulley of the CVT trans to tie the front engine to the rear engine CVT trans. Thinking of making a shaft that screws on to the pulley center shaft, replacing the nut with a shaft that is splined, or that the gear is welded to, the first being better. Spring is Thursday, Yes!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That engine ain't going anywhere, with all them mounts, even the back of the CVT is mounted to the frame. I need to mount a 8mm or even #420 chain gear to the front pulley of the CVT trans to tie the front engine to the rear engine CVT trans. Thinking of making a shaft that screws on to the pulley center shaft, replacing the nut with a shaft that is splined, or that the gear is welded to, the first being better. Spring is Thursday, Yes!
Yep its very secure and to get the two screws in transmission mount in the front tightened-up you need to pull the front pulley w/variator weights off because theres nuts and washers on the back side....

Right now Im having issues below half tank with heavy fuel agitation leaning out an already dangerously lean tuned engine...Dampers wont work....Its either a backpack mounted gastank which isnt viable or a larger fuel tank because my engine kills half a tank in 10-15 mins riding mostly wide open............

Good deal about spring coming but from what I see and hear its gonna be a very short spring and a scorching hot early summer...........

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I like the backpack mount idea, got to keep the gas tank full. My HP engines eat a lot of gas, I am always running out of gas, then the engine leans & off go the revvs.

·
Bicycle with Engine
881 Posts
Super soaker gas tank backpack!? lol That would be a sight to see... Maybe you could make some sorta 'floating spring-dampened' gas tank mount for that scooter.... Just a thought...:rolleyes:

That engine ain't going anywhere, with all them mounts, even the back of the CVT is mounted to the frame.
I was gonna say, nice touch with the extra CVT mounts... Here I drilled and tapped the back of an X1 gearbox for an M6 mounting bolt for my drag-bicycle...

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
CAM2 mods everything even the CVT trans, so it has to be tied down Good, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts