Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!!

Im buying a watercooled bike from an oak. He is building the thing, now i must choose between a c1 and a c2 frame, for racing purpose, which one would be the best? My weight is 70kg/154lb so as far as i know the c1 is a pipe frame and the c2 is an aluminium frame but which one would be the best??

Thanks in advance:D

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
C2 Alum is the best, its lighter, weight is your number one enemy in racing, on a 60lb. bike, every ounce lost is important.
A few years back, my 1015cc Kawasaki Pro Stock bike, which was just under 600lbs, Since I was 140lbs I had to add weight to match a 176lb weight average the NHRA used. Every ten pounds cost me 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile. So do the math on a 60lb bike,lol.

·
Registered
21,721 Posts
Hi guys!!

Im buying a watercooled bike from an oak. He is building the thing, now i must choose between a c1 and a c2 frame, for racing purpose, which one would be the best? My weight is 70kg/154lb so as far as i know the c1 is a pipe frame and the c2 is an aluminium frame but which one would be the best??

Thanks in advance:D
Id ask which frame offers the best turning radius for blazing the tightest turns at the fastest speed possible......If it were my choice id pick the steel frame...easier to repair if something cracks and there will be a lil more area to get your hands in on working on the bike in the pits a bit faster..To get the same strength of steel aluminum has to be almost twice the mass if its not extruded..........Good Luck on your choice

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some guys say the ali frame some say the pipe frame, so thats why i started this tread so i can get more opinions about the frames

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
Is the bike your building using an OEM factory C1 or C2 frame, or is this guy making a frame?? I am sorry I did not buy a C2 when I bought my C1, now I don't think they make them anymore.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Both valid points from EPR and CAM2. One thing to consider is handling when it comes to the frames ability to Give/Flex. Depending on track surface conditions, you as much flex as you can get away with before sacrificing stability and strength. On smooth surface tracks, it almost has zero effect on a rigid versus flexible however, on a rough surface track it is more favored to have a flexible chassis. Especially if your racing and trying to shave your lap times at lightning corner speeds. Minimoto/Pocketbikes, like Karts, are designed with no suspension thus tuning involved for traction and ride quality depend solely on tires, tire pressure, and then chassis of choice. Tough choice between the two but, at 154lbs. you can get away with either frame and not have to worry too much about chassis weight. Just work on corner speeds then weight won't matter so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its original frames, so i think the c2 frame would be the best because it has more flex than the c1 frame and its lighter, thanks for all the advise! Really appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
21,721 Posts
Both valid points from EPR and CAM2. One thing to consider is handling when it comes to the frames ability to Give/Flex. Depending on track surface conditions, you as much flex as you can get away with before sacrificing stability and strength. On smooth surface tracks, it almost has zero effect on a rigid versus flexible however, on a rough surface track it is more favored to have a flexible chassis. Especially if your racing and trying to shave your lap times at lightning corner speeds. Minimoto/Pocketbikes, like Karts, are designed with no suspension thus tuning involved for traction and ride quality depend solely on tires, tire pressure, and then chassis of choice. Tough choice between the two but, at 154lbs. you can get away with either frame and not have to worry too much about chassis weight. Just work on corner speeds then weight won't matter so much.
Youre lucky to be such a light guy for pb's............:thumbsup:.If I was 154lbs Id be ill......:eek:..My old GRC was half steel n half aluminum which looked pretty sweet.....The modular frame allowed for too much flex for me at 190 and at 195-200 I cant ride my Polini 910 now either because the chain pops off on a right hand sweepers when Im just getting the knee down with the 5pc cast aluminum frame.............sorry for the crappy pic...after a severe harddrive crash back in 09 this is the only viewable pic left of the GRC....

Whatever you choose..Have fun with it and if you race it...push hard.......No Fear.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts