Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best reed kit to use with the 47cc cag engine and Walbro HP carb? I've seen a few different styles out there.. 2 pedal, 4 pedal, 1 stage, 2 stage..

[hotlink]

REEDCAGES

Which one would you guys buy?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
What is the best reed kit to use with the 47cc cag engine and Walbro HP carb? I've seen a few different styles out there.. 2 pedal, 4 pedal, 1 stage, 2 stage..

[hotlink]

REEDCAGES

Which one would you guys buy?

If you have enough $$$ <---Chicken Sandwiches! hit up PBU, Tell em Nick from PBP sent you! PLEASE! <----Shameless plug! Visa Style!

Nicky.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which one would you get Nick? That one on PBUs page on the very bottom looks nuts! Overkill or what..? Or do you think the top one is good enough?
Thanks!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Don't waste your money on that stuff unless you are going all out race engine & 17:1 compression and all that.
A $10 CF reed and grind back your reed block to allow them to open more works wonders with a hp carb & exh.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks EPR. You think a regular triple stage BW is good enough for one of Sam's stage 2 engines?
Also, are there any how-to articles on grinding back the reed block?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Personally I don't like triple reeds, I have a new set here. I run mine wide open. Yes there are posts & photos here, someone here might drag them out I have 3 projects going right now, but I did my stops on the side off my 8" bench grinder.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
If you have enough $$$ <---Chicken Sandwiches! hit up PBU, Tell em Nick from PBP sent you! PLEASE! <----Shameless plug! Visa Style!

Nicky.

Nick, you keep eating those chicken sandwiches, pretty soon you'll be farting feathers .....

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Which one would you get Nick? That one on PBUs page on the very bottom looks nuts! Overkill or what..? Or do you think the top one is good enough?
Thanks!
It's OverKill, but just look how Kewl :cool: it Look'S !!!!

Nicky. ;):thumbsup:

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I hate F/G reeds had them on Sam's Red head engine, had trouble with them staying close. Took them off turned them over, looked good, but I changed them to a new CF reeds, carbon fiber. My 2 year old engine #3, Blue Demon blew the pin bearing & twisted the crank but the CF reeds on that engine work great on another engine still.

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
today i rode the zpf and i let it wind out till it was screaming,if it a 4T i would have been floating valves prolly
so they 2T have a redline? for the most part the 4Ts dont
is there a reed i should consider or availble with this itl engine
can i crack the reeds reving to high?

·
PB FREAK
468 Posts
I have ADA f/g reeds on my ff cag, its pretty much stock besides air filter and petcock - works very well in my case! By the way im slacking allot on the pocketbike, its been in pieces on the workbench for roughly a month now due to the snapped piston rings.. ordered a kit off daves but quickly found out it was a 44mm b/b piston kit.. any good sites that sells the stock rings cheap?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I hate F/G reeds had them on Sam's Red head engine, had trouble with them staying close. Took them off turned them over, looked good, but I changed them to a new CF reeds, carbon fiber. My 2 year old engine #3, Blue Demon blew the pin bearing & twisted the crank but the CF reeds on that engine work great on another engine still.
the reeds, the mounting hardware, or the reed-block was not up to spec.

Once shimmed, My triple stage "Black Widow" reeds seal up GREAT! :mad::thumbsup:

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
today i rode the zpf and i let it wind out till it was screaming,if it a 4T i would have been floating valves prolly
so they 2T have a redline? for the most part the 4Ts dont
is there a reed i should consider or availble with this itl engine
can i crack the reeds reving to high?

2-t is better, twist the wrist (Read that book right now!!!) wait till it can't rev no more, and that is RedLine!

My C1 hit's around 15,100 all day long, even In June, In California, but after all, it is "Water cooled" <--- Filled with coolant, ask me why! I'll spill the beans! FOR FREE!!!!!!

NaSa. <----:confused:

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
My drag engines are for wide open, there are no corners, so the black widow 2 or 3 stage reeds which which PBU claims they invented are CF reeds & fingers, the bolts they give, are too small for the threads in my reed plate, and so on.
For small track racing, triple reeds might work better. Plus I never had a chance to really test them, cause the new B/B kit I put on had a warped cylinder, the first one I sent to Sam. The 2nd time I tried them on a different engine, which had its own problems, other than reeds, so it seemed like Bad Luck to me,lol,lol. Have them still in the reed jar.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
My drag engines are for wide open, there are no corners, so the black widow 2 or 3 stage reeds which which PBU claims they invented are CF reeds & fingers, the bolts they give, are too small for the threads in my reed plate, and so on.
For small track racing, triple reeds might work better. Plus I never had a chance to really test them, cause the new B/B kit I put on had a warped cylinder, the first one I sent to Sam. The 2nd time I tried them on a different engine, which had its own problems, other than reeds, so it seemed like Bad Luck to me,lol,lol. Have them still in the reed jar.
but the name "Black Widow" is copyrighted and probably trademarked!

Did I ever Tell you dudes my oldest sister ended up with a law degree?

NaSa. :rolleyes:

·
Stormin' Mormon
310 Posts
when is it ok to use a triple stage reed. I'm petty sure I have only have a dual stage with a fg reed and a cf finger. I'm building the bike for a track with lots of turns. But from time to time I'll ride it up and down the street.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
when is it ok to use a triple stage reed. I'm petty sure I have only have a dual stage with a fg reed and a cf finger. I'm building the bike for a track with lots of turns. But from time to time I'll ride it up and down the street.

Please, do not get me wrong, in my book....

Single reed, good to go, dialed in for top end or for bottom end!
dual reeds, GOOD TO GO, pretty dialed in for low end, and good for top speed too!
triple reeds! Look Kewler! heheh.

Nicky.

·
Stormin' Mormon
310 Posts
lol the cooler it looks the faster the bike goes

so would a cf single reed be better for a low end power setup without getting flutter at top end? or since I don't ride my bike on a track pretty much never is the dual stage the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts