Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Exactly this ^.. this article is packed full of awesome info.. pay most attention to this part:
How do I break in my new Pocket Bike?

Start with a 40:1. Don't full throttle it and don't keep the RPMs at one speed. You want the RPMs varying up and down. Let it cool down after every 10-15min. of riding. Run the second tank on 40:1. After that switch to 50:1 using full synthetic of your flavor.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
I do a 28:1 mix and heat cycle it to engine temps for 5-6 times with a high velocity fan blowing directly at it even before riding with full room temp cool down between each run..

Its something similar to breaking in an r/c nitro and 2 stroke r/c engine..It allows the lube to get into the bearings to roll them around without a load to smooth them out....

It also helps keep the new tight cylinder temps from going through the roof making the rings weaker from the thermal stress..The cheap chinese rings are made of cast steel and improper break-in can be very harsh on them causing premature engine blow-by and poor engine performance..........

Have you ever taken brand new chinese internal case/crank bearings and spun them?....At times you get a momentary binding in the bearings while spinning and beleive me theyre far from rolling smoothly...Thats why I polish the internal bearings and piston /crank pins/clutch bearings on all engines I build....

When I go for the break-in ride I go to 32:1 and ride it for 3 tankfuls riding it gently plus also keep a tab on temps with a point-n-aim tempgun........

4th tank I mix to 40:1 or 42:1 ,-highspeed tune it in and let it rip................

Everyone has theyre different ways to breaking in an engine.......Youll have your own method soon enough too but first important thing is getting it to run right after mods.Having extra sparkplugs on hand helps out alot aswell.............

Good luck..........

·
Registered
244 Posts
I do a 28:1 mix and heat cycle it to engine temps for 5-6 times with a high velocity fan blowing directly at it even before riding with full room temp cool down between each run..

Its something similar to breaking in an r/c nitro and 2 stroke r/c engine..It allows the lube to get into the bearings to roll them around without a load to smooth them out....

It also helps keep the new tight cylinder temps from going through the roof making the rings weaker from the thermal stress..The cheap chinese rings are made of cast steel and improper break-in can be very harsh on them causing premature engine blow-by and poor engine performance..........

Have you ever taken brand new chinese internal case/crank bearings and spun them?....At times you get a momentary binding in the bearings while spinning and beleive me theyre far from rolling smoothly...Thats why I polish the internal bearings and piston /crank pins/clutch bearings on all engines I build....

When I go for the break-in ride I go to 32:1 and ride it for 3 tankfuls riding it gently plus also keep a tab on temps with a point-n-aim tempgun........

4th tank I mix to 40:1 or 42:1 ,-highspeed tune it in and let it rip................

Everyone has theyre different ways to breaking in an engine.......Youll have your own method soon enough too but first important thing is getting it to run right after mods.Having extra sparkplugs on hand helps out alot aswell.............

Good luck..........
wow... thats some serious break in techniques... only thing with that for me is, you know how long it would take me to run through 3 tankfuls of gently riding it before the 4th to rip on it... hahaha.. man you have wayyyy more patience then me...

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
i actually did 32/1 to start, it smokes alot but idk
50/1 scares me
MEEE TOOOO! not on a Japanese engine or god forbid a euro or american one, but a Cloned mitsubishi from China? hmmmmm... :rolleyes::thumbsup:

You dudeZ evEr read about those ISO dudes, that certify factories and stuff. I don't think China knows about them yet! :D:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts