Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the RPM Engagement for the clutch. I know it's important to adjust it so the clutch engages at 8000, but no more than 8900. Is it ok to adjust it to engage lower than 8000?

·
Registered
118 Posts
You know, I had wondered about this also. I wanted mine to engage at about 5-6,000 while I was getting used to the tremendous horsepower, and learning to ride.

I was told that having it engage too soon can cause excessive heat build-up. I don't really understand how this is possible. Without friction, I can't understand where the heat would be generated. The torque alone pressing on the clutch drum should not create heat, as it does not have much power at the lower RPM's.

This would certainly limit the acceleration while waiting to get "on the pipe", but I do not see any other drawbacks. I am a very systematic "thinker", but I am not a pocketbike mechanic, so you can take it as such.

Roy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of my thinking of limiting the engagement RPM too. With this bike, the power over what I had before (Cag) I am having to learn how to ride all over again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gravel-Fun said:
You know, I had wondered about this also. I wanted mine to engage at about 5-6,000 while I was getting used to the tremendous horsepower, and learning to ride.

I was told that having it engage too soon can cause excessive heat build-up. I don't really understand how this is possible. Without friction, I can't understand where the heat would be generated. The torque alone pressing on the clutch drum should not create heat, as it does not have much power at the lower RPM's.

This would certainly limit the acceleration while waiting to get "on the pipe", but I do not see any other drawbacks. I am a very systematic "thinker", but I am not a pocketbike mechanic, so you can take it as such.

Roy
Check out the clutch tips on www.minimotogarage.com

You can have the clutch engage at a lower rpm... but it does build more heat. Just because it enganges soon dont mean it dont slip. the slipping causes more heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts