Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I recently purchased a 47cc blade 2 stroke pocket bike and i was wondering what upgrades would be easy to install and would help out alot im not very familiar with mechanics and assembling parts how difficult is it to assemble say an intake is there and drilling involved in this type of stuff thanks.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Working on the Cag-style pocketbikes (which yours is) is relatively easy - there's simply not much to the motors on them. Mainly, you need a good set of metric tools (wrenches, socket set, and Allen wrenches), a few screwdrivers of varying sizes, several different kinds of pliers - vise grips, channel locks, needlenose, and regular - and a few other bits and pieces.

What I would suggest you do is start doing some reading. Your bike is basically a Cag/Daytona (I know the site says Blade, but different sites have different namesfor the same bike. Your bike is also known as a Raptor and an MX3, but they still fall under the "Cag" tag.) Read any thread that has "Cag" in the title - you'll find tons of useful information here on how to modify your bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help and btw I came across a website called pocketbikesunlimited.com and they were selling some really high performance engines one of them caught my eye it was a 47cc i think it had some sort of big bore kit and intake and all that do you think I should just by that engine and change a few things like exhuast maybe intake and a boost bottle or just work with what ive got cause i want my bike to be very fast for what it is like instead of topping out at 37 i want to go like 63 mph and would it be very difficult to do an engine swap? and im going to start searching up cag relative things cause my dad is no mechanic but i have a passion for motorized vehicles and building things so i know a little but ill get to it

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
63mph on a Cag? Three words: ain't gonna happen. For the price you'd pay for dropping in a new engine (btw, you'd have to completely redo most of the frame to handle the extra torque, or you could twist it like a pretzel), you could probably get a used european bike.

To be completely fair, PBU is good quality, but a little pricey.

How were you able to get 37mph on a new bike? How much do you weigh, and how did you do the speed check? GPS? Speedometer? Radar gun?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
The only difference is the Blade is it has a 15mm Walbro pumper carb and maybe a different exhaust, but it is still a Cag, should have got the Raptor Lucky 7 for $30 more.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Hmmm ... the Blades are coming with Walbro carbs now? Are many of the new bikes coming with Walbros over the stock Cag carb?

Yah, I would've done the Lucky 7 for a little more ....

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I agree with SpyGuy! 63mph on an air cooled (Blade Air cooled ?) Cag is not gonna happen! :(

Even on the really sweet water-cooled cag Engines, 63mph is *almost* impossible, down a slight hill, with a tail wind, and about 300 yards to get up to speed, Maybe :confused: but that would not be any fun on a "Track"

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I can't even imagine how much the bike would vibrate at 63 MPH, the wheels would probably break off at the speed, don't think you could keep the chain on, and if it came off,....., Well we will bury you with the bike,lol,lol.
SpyGuy, I think its a Walbro, cause it says Cold Start Primer Button, only one carb I know with a bulb. Some ATVs come w/ a 15mm WYK Rep carb and manifold for a Cag, I have two of them, you can mod them to fit a WT603 or 813.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
This is just me personally but, For the air cooled Cag engines (reed ported) I think 35-40mph is pretty dang good, that way you get lots of top speed and still have fun from a take off, or coming out of a tight corner.

Drag strips are usually for engines that can make 500+ hp but, 5 hp on a drag strip does not sound like too much fun to me! :rolleyes:

I would find a REALLY TwIsTY "Track" or empty parking lot, and gear it lower or even leave it stock.

But this does look fun!!!

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Bottom line: you can fit anything into anything if you're willing to butcher the hell out of everything that stands in the way of doing your modification.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I only run 500ft, have no gears, it would probably come apart if i ran 1,368foot 1/4 mile. I have a 74 tooth alum rear gear going to put that with a 7 front on one of my bikes, for fast off the line bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i have a friend of mine that is also really into pocket bikes and he kept on asking me if i'd sell it im sure he would pay full price or close to it anyways cause he knows i take good care of my stuff but do you think i should sell it to him and by that lucky7 raptor you were talking about for 30 more? and i was also looking at one called the GP RS R it is a little more than the blade as well and btw i havnt come across one called a luky7 raptor s if you could send me a link id like to check it out and what is a walbro carb that you were mentioning for the newer blades? and i think i was in over my head when i said 63mph cause ive seen bike go around sixty+ on youtbe but they must have been mid bikes or something like that anyways thanks for your guyses influence

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
BTW your post is listed in water cooled bikes and yours is air cooled, most of have or want both. More air cooled people will see it if you post make post under A/C.
The R has a shock and swingarm & have heard of problems w/ the chain moving up and down and jumping off or something. There a hair longer but don't handle as good as an A2 or Lucky 7, PBU has an alum lift kit, for $37 if they get off there buts and make some, been waitng months. It lifts the rear has 2 positions and it makes it up to 2 inches longer, everyone I have talk to says it makes them handle better, which is a good thing.
If you have the money and he will pay full price, S/H and tax, go for it, but remember, its hard to fit exhaust and alot of other stuff to an L7. Some parts are hard to find, where a Cag most stuff fits most bikes. I just bought a Lucky 7 frame and built it from spare parts & engines.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Id definately get an L7 before a Blade /Raptor w/swingarm........Im sure youre saying it would be a more comfortable ride........For a short time it will then everything gets worn and sloppy then starts falling apart faster leaving you with a real project on your hands................Its almost like an X1 and yet for some reason the X1's are built a bit better.............

With the right engines you can see speeds higher than 60mph ............Those engines would be the 70cc mcculloch 2 smoker engines............They can be built to rocket jr racekarts to 80mph...............Just make sure to build the frame out of chromoly tubing by a pro welder because even the blata 2.5 a/c bike I built with one couldnt handle the stresses of going over 60mph for prolonged periods and 2 necks snapped that day..........Be safe...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im sorry im kinda new to pocket bikes i sold my blade to my friend for about the same i bought it for now what bike were you talking about an L7? btw i wnet to pocketbikesunlimited.com and they had two nice ones that caught my eye one was a rear suspension cag for 279 the other was a f/f race cag with front and rear suspension for 450 with free shipping i didnt see there names or the specs i couldnt find them but if you could please point me in the right direction as of what one i should get id be very thankfull im looking for a very good quality fast pocket bike that would be simple to work on and has alot of potential thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and for epr im sorry my post wasnt in the right place i just joined this sight 4 days ago my bad btw the bikes that u mentioned the R A2 and L7 witch ones are those sorry im a newb i looked and looked and i swear i couldnt find any names for there pockets bikes or specs but they looked very nice if you could please point me in the right direction and help me understanf those bikes u mentioned id be very thankfull thanks

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I am the one that is Wrong, I forgot it was an air cooled Euro. There might be a Euro section on the main forum, I have 3 projects going and 8 bikes to work on, so I even get mixed up on them sometimes. Have a folder & log on each bike, project, or engine. Six months down the road it is hard to remember what size jet is in the carb, or what reeds it has, etc.
Be a good idea for your bikes. you look inside and you can read whats been done & how it worked, and what need to be done and you need a Wish list for HP Parts,lol.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Different sites will have different names for the same bikes. A Cag is the same as a Blade or an MX3, just different names from the particular site you're on - they're all still Cags.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts