Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticing the air cooled thread is very active, and now that I am the proud owner of a Blata, decided to continue with a new thread.

As some of you may know recently acquired a Blata on CL from this guy who had it listed forever. In fact I thought it was long gone and simply the ad was there because the seller forgot to remove it. Decided to give him a call and see if he still had it, turned out he had not sold it yet. We had a small argument a few times because he would send crappy pictures and made fun of him how on this digital era he would send blurry photos.

Here is the original picture:

Seeing that it does not let me upload on the site with the format, will then upload them as attachments.

The first picture (L to R) is the final product.

Second one is comparing Blata clutch bell vs. Cag, both are the same. The Cag bell comes out a few mm, had to re-align the chain replacing with smaller washers on the chain side. The Cag bell is one more teeth, slightly better top end and less cramping of the chain compared to the smaller Blata gear, 6t.

Third, a few holes to hold the clutch pads a little longer. It was almost engaging the clutch even at very low idle. There was some modification of the sides for the springs to glide without any obstruction.

Fourth, took the clutch springs from a Cag, a torch gun, vice, needle nose pliers, dremmel/metal disc and to work (about an hour or so, test and measure). One spring was from one clutch (9 turns), and the other from another (10 turns). One spring had to be stretched out heating it up for it to reach the bolt, and it was cut slightly on the hook end to finally make it fit.

Verdict:

The Cag spring mod works very well. Because one spring is slightly stronger than the other, or vice versa. I can feel like the power on the mid-range and then on the top end. Before I could spread out the clutch pads by hand, now is very difficult with considerable resistance. I am impressed for such a little bike what a punch does it have, the stock springs, stock jet (whatever number it is) are off for this bike. Stiffer springs, modding the shoes and opened slightly (very minor) the stock jet with cheap small bits (thank you HF) by hand. Before the top end was too high pitch, now is more of a grunt.
Idle is mellow, mid-range, top end sweet, the bike holds a line very well. It is true, you got to pay to play. There is a definite quality in craftsmanship, the metal is much better. Its my favorite bike so far...

Follow up today Saturday; have been driving it until my ankles hurt. It is a blast to drive, peppy top end. It is just crazy how such a little engine delivers so much power, I am stoked. The spring mod worked awesome, no premature engagement at idle. Took some videos of me driving it, will try to take another one cause I had the microphone covered so the sound is very low. I drove my cag, and also the Blata, and the later is way better low, mid and top end. One minor issue, there is fluttering when I stay wot for a long time, so got to put an ear and play with the throttle. I go like 85%, then 100% on the accelerator. I under-estimated those little small tires. I dig driving it that low, better than the cag... JA Ja!

Attachments

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Nice spring mod, you got it, alot of the time got to make your own or mod something else, I have 3 bikes not running right now, carb problems, when spring comes I will change carbs, lol.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Blata 2.5 video, stock, only spring mod done to it.

Managed to fit a camera over the tank, this is no GoPro.

Recorded with a Kodak Easyshare 4790, converted to avi with Bigasoft Total Video.:)

The bike has a little drag on the chain, will replace with a 25HD chain this week, and possibly the rear sprocket. When it is lifted up in the air it drags a lot. Maybe replace with ball bearing rollers, which I think that's where the sound is.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Yeah, it moves out pretty good, watch out for all them parked cars, and the moving ones too lol.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Yes it does, at how many engine RPMs do you want the clutch to engage. That's why there adjustable. What matters its how much pressure does it take to depress the spring??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes it does, at how many engine RPMs do you want the clutch to engage. That's why there adjustable. What matters its how much pressure does it take to depress the spring??
I see. It seems like the old clutch(rusted springs/no tension) springs in my blata are giving out because it engages in idle? correct me if I am wrong.
I bought some clutch springs like the pictures above. They have more coils than the stock, but I have yet to check them out in person once they arrive.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I was thinking of a different type of clutch spring, a coil only with no hooks on the end, that have a small bolt running thru them and an adjustment nut on the end. Yes, old weak springs could allow your clutch to engage to early. The total length of the spring has to stay the same, for stiffer ones they start with a thicker coil rod material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.