Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
Hey guys, my name's William. I own a MiniMoto Maxii 400. It stopped working and long story short, I disassembled everything off the frame and now would like to use the frame to create a gas powered motorcycle.

Problem
Although I actively try to gain as much knowledge as I can, there are rarely any threads of people who have built a gas powered motorcycle from scratch. It's very hard for me without any experience to know what engine will be compatible with what transmission, what dimensions are a certain engine (the sites never state them!).

My Questions
What are the components I need?
For example: Fuel Lines, Chain, Sprocket, Intake, Exhaust, and of course Engine, Transmission

How do I know what is compatible with what?
For example: Engine with Transmission, Engine with Intake, etc

Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Welcome to the site.......Before you get any further...Whats the state of your tools and skill level when it comes to cutting,,fabricating and welding?

In the meantime anything associated with a 39cc/47cc Cagllari would fit that model with lots of mods like converting the rearwheel with a #25 sprocket if it has a beltdrive..... ebay is a good source...just type 39cc/47cc pocketbike parts in the search box..

if your looking for a worthwhile project thats cool...If youre looking for something to ride you can get a pocketbike from the local craigslist for less than your gonna pay to retrofit the bike over to gas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site.......Before you get any further...Whats the state of your tools and skill level when it comes to cutting,,fabricating and welding?

In the meantime anything associated with a 39cc/47cc Cagllari would fit that model with lots of mods like converting the rearwheel with a #25 sprocket if it has a beltdrive..... ebay is a good source...just type 39cc/47cc pocketbike parts in the search box..

if your looking for a worthwhile project thats cool...If youre looking for something to ride you can get a pocketbike from the local craigslist for less than your gonna pay to retrofit the bike over to gas
Unfortunately, I have no experience with any of those three trades. I do, however, have plenty of tools; MANY deep sockets and standard sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives as well as Allen keys and numerous wrenches. So I'm set in the tool department.

I do realize I will have to make some retrofits so I plan on borrowing some cutting tools from a neighbor and buying a welder if necessary. Also, yes this is a worthwhile project :D:thumbsup:

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no experience with any of those three trades. I do, however, have plenty of tools; MANY deep sockets and standard sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives as well as Allen keys and numerous wrenches. So I'm set in the tool department.

I do realize I will have to make some retrofits so I plan on borrowing some cutting tools from a neighbor and buying a welder if necessary. Also, yes this is a worthwhile project :
Well with the right tools and money anythings possible..........

Grinders,,files,,assorted drillbits,,saws-all,,welder,,drillbits,,drillpress,,rotary tool like a dremel and a few other items are needed besides the handtools.........Harbor freight would be the best source to obtain most items...

This bike didnt look anything like this when it came over on a slow boat from China..............

Not this one aswell................

Or........This one either........Theyre all stretched ,,strengthened and customized to suit me in the best way possible.................

This ones my Trellis Frame Ducati style.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well with the right tools and money anythings possible..........

Grinders,,files,,assorted drillbits,,saws-all,,welder,,drillbits,,drillpress,,rotary tool like a dremel and a few other items are needed besides the handtools.........Harbor freight would be the best source to obtain most items...
What do I need after? So far I know I need (obviously) an engine(carburetor, clutch, air filter, ignition system and pull start), a transmission, a fuel tank, fuel lines (with filter), chain, sprocket. What am I missing to get it started?

I don't understand well how the connections go.
For example:

If I buy a gearbox instead of a CVT, how will I shift gears and etc if it only comes with the gearbox?

How will I create the throttle? Do I just buy a wire that connects to the motor? How will I control how much throttle I'm giving with just a wire?

·
Registered
274 Posts
You don't shift gears on these types of small bikes. I suggest you buy a complete engine and figure out how you are going to mount it. Then you will have to completely dismantle the engine, lube up the components, inspect the parts, and then reassemble it. This is an absolute must. I tried to get around this when i first started with some used bikes and just screwed myself of time, knowledge, and hurt the engines.

Here is the type of engine you should probably get. These are reed inducted engines have many more performance parts than piston ported engines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/47cc-49cc-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfe18b7d1&vxp=mtr

Then once you get the bike running then you can upgrade it. Post some pics of the frame. If you buy the type of engine above you would use cag pocket bike parts, but as far as gas tanks, throttles, brakes you will need to mix and match parts that will work on your frame. If you live on the west coast i suggest buying parts from scooterparts4less.com. East coast pocketbikeparts.com. Some other sites would be davesmotors, ebay, tncscooters, adaracing, hkmotos, ect. Parts will vary from site to site so look at all of them if you have the time.

And most importantly listen to cam, he knows what he is talking about and that will help you immensely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't shift gears on these types of small bikes. I suggest you buy a complete engine and figure out how you are going to mount it. Then you will have to completely dismantle the engine, lube up the components, inspect the parts, and then reassemble it. This is an absolute must. I tried to get around this when i first started with some used bikes and just screwed myself of time, knowledge, and hurt the engines.

Here is the type of engine you should probably get. These are reed inducted engines have many more performance parts than piston ported engines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/47cc-49cc-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfe18b7d1&vxp=mtr

Then once you get the bike running then you can upgrade it. Post some pics of the frame. If you buy the type of engine above you would use cag pocket bike parts, but as far as gas tanks, throttles, brakes you will need to mix and match parts that will work on your frame. If you live on the west coast i suggest buying parts from scooterparts4less.com. East coast pocketbikeparts.com. Some other sites would be davesmotors, ebay, tncscooters, adaracing, hkmotos, ect. Parts will vary from site to site so look at all of them if you have the time.

And most importantly listen to cam, he knows what he is talking about and that will help you immensely.
How can you tell if its reed or piston?
So when I buy a gear box, it's basically automatic?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Reeded engines have reeds and come in 39 or 47cc. They also have the intake on the crankcase.

Piston ported don't have reeds and come in 43 or 49cc. They have the intake and exhaust on the cylinder head.

I believe it is called a centrifugal clutch. It throws out at a high rpm (varies) onto a clutch drum which is connected to the gears on the tranny.

Others will be able to tell you more specifics. Thats the basics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.