Pocketbike Forum banner

Building an electirc powered vechicle - Need Help

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  moohpengwin 
#1 ·
Right now i currently have a frame and some batteries.

The frame has steering, breaks, a rear axle, a seat, tires, and space for the batteries + motor.

I got an amazing deal on 3 diehard marine batteries.

So now i need to know what motor + sprocket size i should get.

I think i might get 1 more battery so i can get some stronger 48v motors.

#2 ·
well i take it your making a go cart then?? or is it a pocketbike? doesnt really matter the motor u buy if u are homemaking it yourself just buy a decent motor and mount it some where then get a chain to hook up to the other spocket on the rear wheel. other wize i dont really know wat u need help with cuz your thread isnt very specific

#3 ·
yea its a gokart but I need help with deciding what motor to get. I've been googling electric motors and got many different results.

This thing weights like 100 pounds and i weight 160.

I want this motor to pull 260 lbs at ~30mph.

I found this website (below), then searching across this forum i saw a electric airplaine motor, and even people telling me to use starters.
Electric Scooter and Pocket Bike Motor - ElectricScooterParts.com

I don't want a starter since they arn't recommended for continuous use.

Figuring this forum has electric pocket bikes i'd ask you guys what motors you recommend.

#4 ·
wait so the frame is 100 pounds!? dang try to take off as much weight as possible every bit helps with speed, easpisally when its a electric and weights that much. yea that site is very relible and has good motors:D

as for the sprockets....
do u have a sprocket attached to one of the rear tires?
if so how many teeth is it

#5 · (Edited)
#6 · (Edited)
the batteries are 40pounds a piece. They are deep cycle marine batteries and i have a car battery charger. Thats where all the weight is coming from. The rest is like a feather.

I think im going to need a lot more then 350w for the speed i want. I want ~30mph at 300lbs <-- not getting any lighter. 350w would maybe pull at like 5-10mph.

I was looking at the 1000w motors for $ ~150 but i don't know if those are going to be fast/strong enough.

What do you guys in the 30mph + club use?

I saw a briggs and straton etek 7200w motor but it broke the budget.

As for the sprocket, i just have an bare axle, after i find the recommended ratio from the engine i'll weld it on the axle.

#7 ·
whoa! ohh ok so its the batteries that have the weight well idk man... {it would go faster with less money} buying (3)12v 12ah batts and a 36v 350-400 watt motor cuz it would be way lighter u would have atlease 20-25 mph ........... also with go karts there better if there are gas then electric cuz its hard to get up to the 30-40 mile range becuase of the weight of the bigger better batts to try and get there cuz mainly the battereies is wat prouduces the power and mph not the motor but when adding more batteries to try to get it to go faster it gets heaver as well so it doesnt make make of a difference - and buliding gas go carts are super easy get any kind of a motor like from a old weedee wiper or some thing

#8 ·
I rebuilt a razor kart, 750w 36v unite motor, 6.25" go-ped rear wheel, running a 100 amp 48v kelly controller, 40 ni-mh cells, and 20/56 sprockets....so my math figures out to around 24 m.p.h. give or take a little... the whole set-up weighs 37.8 pounds ready to ride so i can carry it down the hall, and I am in the 140-145 range depending oh how much I eat... overall it works pretty good but runtime is only about 3-5 min

now i am still a little fuzzy on your set-up because you said you have a 100 pound frame...but does that include battery weight? (cuz the batteries are said to be 40 pounds x 3 = 120 pounds at least...) Using how my kart runs as a baseline, and what you are describing, i would say that if you run 2 unite 1000w or 1200w motors you should get pretty close to your goal....

#10 ·
well I never really planned to go anywhere with it... it's only used either in hallways or in the parking garage so lightweight and acceleration were the most important things.. and I sacrificed top speed and run time. I actually just ordered more cells to make a 48v pack to put in parallel, but because I am having voltage stability issues under draw...not for more run time.

With the DieHard batteries though he should run for a pretty long time, especially if he actually drives around without running the motor from stall too much...my cells are only 4200mAh and I am basically doing short 100-200 ft drag races back to back...i.e. full throttle from a standstill, then full brake..turn around, then repeat :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.