Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all...

...i'm new to pbp and pb's in general. i remember vaguely my family had a small bright green honda w/ fat stubby/mt tires back in the day (i'd say it was a 70's model), but that was a lifetime ago it feels.

anyway...

i just recently caught a little pb-fever since helping my neighbor bring his back from the dead. so, what does anyone w/ a fever do??? well...they go to craigslist for some medicine, right?

so here's what i recently acquired:

43cc cagllari "daytona" pocket bike
project_name: "bull" (it has a bull sticker on it)

price paid: $50
what's the deal: it would not run, says previous owner (kid). looking at it they had messed w/ the carb, which when i picked it up was incomplete. also, the carb was missing the mounting bolts. lastly there wasn't a spark plug. i'm hoping that's it, unless those little boogers that were messing around w/ it dropped something in the cylinder.

the 43cc looks a little like this. but just mono-color, red.

49cc X2 pocket bike
project_name: "cotton mouth" (it kinda looks like a snake to me)

price paid: $35
what's the deal: uhhh, what's not wrong with this thing. i actually just picked it up tonight, so i haven't had a chance to really check it out. definitely some upper-end engine damage (cylinder and piston issues). also looks like they beat the shiznit out of it, so i'm hoping tomorrow when i look at it there's no frame damage. most of the farings are cracked/scratched from what i see. the chain is rusted. the tires are flat. the throttle grip has been removed. gas tank is detached...blah blah...pretty much i'll be ripping this apart and starting frame-off, ordering new parts as needed. should be fun. :thumbsup:

here's what the x2 is supposed to look like

tomorrow when it is light out, i'll take pictures of both my new projects.

...it's nice to be here. everyone seems helpful from what i've read so far, which i'm glad b/c i'm a virgin mini bike rebuilder.

b_c

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as promised...pics :)

here's BULL

...and here's COTTON MOUTH

....pic limit...go to next post... (btw, mods, only 4pics per post??)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i didn't notice any cracks in the frame on first pass, but there are some places where the powdercoat/paint has been scraped off, i'm guessing do to the bike falling

she's hurtin, for sure.

motor in a box

group shot

b_c

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's a q for those in the know...

what year/models are these?

i think BULL is a 2010, or at least that's what the riveted placard says...

i haven't noticed any descriptive placards on COTTON MOUTH yet, but i haven't looked other than to take the pics i just posted and check the frame real quick. ...any ideas?

b_c

another question, i'll search right after i post, and if i find the answer before you post here, i'll post here...

...anyway.

would a 110cc engine from a x18 fit on the x2?

b_c

would a 110cc engine from a x18 fit on the x2?

seems possible, but from what i've found/read i'd need to be able to construct a new lower and upper mounts for the engine.

b_c

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
1st thing. Remove the ugly chainguard from the Cag. That is hideous.

You can probably tuck the 110cc x18 engine in the x2, but you may have to cut and weld to make it fit. And obviously new motor mounts will need to be fabricated. An automatic trans will probably work better, as the x2 sits pretty low to the ground and if you take a turn tight you could potentially catch a kick shifter.

You'll probably also have issues with the amount of power on a short wheelbase, the x2 is one of the smaller "midbikes". When you hit high speeds you will probably get speed wobbles, so stretching it a few inches will both help clear the engine in the frame and provide some stability. Good luck man.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st thing. Remove the ugly chainguard from the Cag. That is hideous.

lol...that was gonna happen sooner or later. i'll keep it, though to put it back on for when my 5 year old rides it later on.

You can probably tuck the 110cc x18 engine in the x2, but you may have to cut and weld to make it fit. And obviously new motor mounts will need to be fabricated. An automatic trans will probably work better, as the x2 sits pretty low to the ground and if you take a turn tight you could potentially catch a kick shifter.

You'll probably also have issues with the amount of power on a short wheelbase, the x2 is one of the smaller "midbikes". When you hit high speeds you will probably get speed wobbles, so stretching it a few inches will both help clear the engine in the frame and provide some stability. Good luck man.

exactly what i needed to know...thanks for the info. i'll keep it 49cc. i think i've got one on the line from cl. ...plus maybe another frame thrown into the deal. we'll see :D

b_c

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Dude, you did good, Cag has a nice square frame for an A1, and the X bike has a Zenoah Rep 43 or 49cc piston port engine, you can hop both engines up. See my scooter avatar photo it has a 49cc Zenoah w/ 16mm Walbro WT 813, w/ acell pump and Jet Pro exhaust, its real Squrriely under full throttle. Cut off a stock cylinder putting an Alum Alloy HP head on it as soon as I find another Zenoah engine I can work on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude, you did good
ha...tell the wife.

Cag has a nice square frame for an A1
so i'm guessing the little red one is a cagllari ("cag")? cool. that makes sense now that i look it up on google.

you can hop both engines up
is that both types of zenoahs that could've come w/ the x-bike or were you saying both engines on both bikes?

i'm reading about some things to do for the 49cc. a wasbro is definitely in the future. seeing that i'm a bigger guy (~215#), i want as much power as i can get (why i was thinking about the 110)...besides the other things you listed in your response do you have any other recommendations?

b_c

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Do you have 2 zenoah engines could not tell in the photos, 40mm bore Cylinder is 43cc and 44mm cyld is 49cc. Your cag is either a 47cc, ( 40cc ) and 49cc Cag ( 48.7cc ). You need to read Cam2 stuff on Zenoahs and Cags, for any mods you want to do.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Yes, the Cag/Daytona is a 2010 model, MT-A1 (which means it's a half fairing - the A2 is a full fairing covering the motor and front end).

BulletX7: Yes, I hate the new chainguard, too, but it can be carved up or replaced with something else, like I did:

Lots of fun stuff you can do when you know how to weld ....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have 2 zenoah engines could not tell in the photos, 40mm bore Cylinder is 43cc and 44mm cyld is 49cc. Your cag is either a 47cc, ( 40cc ) and 49cc Cag ( 48.7cc ). You need to read Cam2 stuff on Zenoahs and Cags, for any mods you want to do.
i'm still unfamiliar with how to tell...

here's the tag that is on BULL...does this help?

the other motor, the guy said it was original to the x2, and from i've read, those are zenoah's...? i think.

i've the x2 is now completely disassembled. i need to go pick up some degreaser and some paint stripper and sand paper. i think i'm going black-out on the x2, w/ red accents.

here's some pics

removed brakes, wiring, etc

what's this?

the x2 had a speedo...the front wheel had studs sticking out of it and a magnetic reader for the speedo, i'm assuming

....more in next post...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
over halfway there...

and totally disassembled

i'll get into the engine on the x2 on friday.

i just got the spark plug in for BULL, and hopefully tomorrow i'll get the carb and carb bolts so that i can see if she runs.

b_c

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here's the spark plug for BULL...

model# L7RTC

that lil placard on BULL says to gap 0.5mm-0.7mm ... any input from those who are reading this (closer to .5 or closer to .7)? ...the kid i bought this bike from said they only rode it for about 15 mins, so i'm guessing i'm still in the "break-in" period.

b_c

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what's the best/prefered method to remove the old paint from that x2 frame? if i read correctly, i think cam just did his cag w/ chemical remover...which kind?

let me go ask.

b_c

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the carb bolts in for BULL...now just waiting on the carb. thought it would be here today...i'm hoping tomorrow, latest marcelo

b_c

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Looks like the front rim is 8" and the rear is 10", now I am asking myself do they come stock w/ a ten inch rim in the rear. Anybody, is that the way there are stock?? That part w/ the fins is your CDI ignition unit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like the front rim is 8" and the rear is 10", now I am asking myself do they come stock w/ a ten inch rim in the rear. Anybody, is that the way there are stock??
HA, you know i didn't even notice that when i was taking them apart. i had to go back out to the garage to actually look at them again. the rear is definitely bigger than the front. ...now if they came that way stock, your guess will definitely be better than mine on that. once i get the sprockets off, i'll give you a measurement on the rims

That part w/ the fins is your CDI ignition unit.
cool, i was thinking to myself that it looked like a mini radio-amp. i guess form fit function in this case. i'll have to read up about CDI a little, for i'm not too familiar. all the b&s i've ever worked on never had one...but i don't think it'll be to hard to figure out. i hope :rolleyes:

b_c

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
The blue bike you have pictured is an X1...X2's have a CVT trans with Black or chrome plastic cover housing...X1's/X2's have a 9" rear tire and 8" front tire

The red bike you have is the same cheaply made 2011 model I won off someone to find out the frames are even thinner walled than the 2008 models..............

The upper engine mount welded to the frame snaps off for no reason.........The one that snapped off of mine left a pretty big hole in my frame

The carb is a bigger piece of junk compared to the older models and is one carb I didnt feel the need to try and mod because of super shoddy design.........Id get a new Walbro style hp pumper carb retrofit kit,,composite reeds and a dual fuelline kit

The exhaust pipe is no picnic either...Its more of a catalystic converter now aswell as too thin to not crack..........get rid of it and get a better pipe aswell.....................

The pullstarter is made of the weakest plastic in the world now too...get an all aluminum one........

The gastank is made out of 3 piece stamped steel cheaply welded together...Mine cracked and leaked fuel everywhere

Good Luck with the build-ups of your bikes.....................

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
If it is not your CDI it might be your voltage reg. can't remember I have an HP CDI unit on my X18.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts