Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing up a couple of X1's and a Cag for christmas presents and have run into problems with the Cag.

Spark was poor, I put on a new plug and set the coil with a credit card - Spark was strong!

Carb bowl was not filling took of carb took it apart and cleaned the whole carb. Needle valve was out 6 turns which did not seem right but put it all back together with slot correctly facing needle valve.

Gas to to carb storng spark and the thing starts after few pulls and races and dies.

I work the needle valve in all the way and out in 1/2 turns. Idles at about 2 1/2 turns but dies on throttle. A little further out has lots of throttle but dies on idle.

Is the carb hosed because the needel was in perhaps 100s of times and out by prior owner to much or just shot? He gave up trying and I think it was plug and megneto and he may have screwd the carb.

Have I just not gotten it right after an hout of 1/4 turn adjusting?

Thanks

Old Guy

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I am fixing up a couple of X1's and a Cag for christmas presents and have run into problems with the Cag.

Spark was poor, I put on a new plug and set the coil with a credit card - Spark was strong!

Carb bowl was not filling took of carb took it apart and cleaned the whole carb. Needle valve was out 6 turns which did not seem right but put it all back together with slot correctly facing needle valve.

Gas to to carb storng spark and the thing starts after few pulls and races and dies.

I work the needle valve in all the way and out in 1/2 turns. Idles at about 2 1/2 turns but dies on throttle. A little further out has lots of throttle but dies on idle.

Is the carb hosed because the needel was in perhaps 100s of times and out by prior owner to much or just shot? He gave up trying and I think it was plug and megneto and he may have screwd the carb.

Have I just not gotten it right after an hout of 1/4 turn adjusting?

Thanks

Old Guy
The carb has no air fuel mixture needle...you were turning the idle adjust screw...the only adjustments in that carb are the c-clip on the mainjet needle and changing the mainjet

Did you drill fueltank output open and wash out the tank,,,?

did you change the fuellines to 1/4",,get a new highflow fuelfilter,?,

did you do the petcock mod,,,?

did you poke out the mainjet to scrape out any ethanol build-up that might cauise a restriction of the proper amount of fuel?

did you set the float forks ?

did you set the c-clip on the mainjet needle 1 notch lower?

If not those are basic mods to improve the way to runs and starts up and needs to be done..............Id also check the plastic intake for cracks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned tank

Cleaned needle valve and jet with small wire and carb cleaner

Cleaned petcock it has 1/4 inch lines

Check and cleaned float forks and comfirmed decent fuel flow.

Good gasket onm carb intake dont see any leaks in the head or at intake.

Have not done all mods just want to get it stable but I will address them.

Will try again

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Cleaned tank

Cleaned needle valve and jet with small wire and carb cleaner

Cleaned petcock it has 1/4 inch lines

Check and cleaned float forks and comfirmed decent fuel flow.

Good gasket onm carb intake dont see any leaks in the head or at intake.

Have not done all mods just want to get it stable but I will address them.

Will try again
Try resetting the airgap between coil and flywheel using an index card.......

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Did that and it started right up

Just cant keep it going
You stated in the beginning you used a credit card....I hope it wasnt needed because magnets demagnetize the strip aswell as be a lil too thick to set the gap properly............After that its getting whittled down to try putting the c-clip on the mainjet needle on the 5th notch followed by rejetting the carb if richening the carb improves and inspecting the reeds if it doesnt..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.