Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new clutch bell housing with the front sprocket, a chain and rear sprocket. Wondering if I should get the housing with the third bearing, and what size chain and sprockets. I have a Cag (I think). My son and his cousins ride it on a dirt driveway with some small hills. They weigh about 160 lbs. Not for racing or anything. Just playing around.

Also, what are some good sites to buy from?

Thanks!

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Welcome to the site. If you post up some pictures of your bike, we'll be able to ID it easier for you.

Check our supplier feedback section of the forum for a listing of vendors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure this is a Cag. I would like to know what the standard size chain and sprockets that are on it. The front sprocket was a 6 tooth... not sure how many on the back. The front one broke, and I couldn't get the shaft out of the old bell housing. Looking to to replace the whole bell housing and I'm thinking of getting one with the third bearing. I assume that will be sturdier.

I'm also looking to get a chain roller, tensioner, guard, a foot-peg, gas cap and a kill switch. There's a switch on top of the gas tank, but it doesn't do anything. May just need to re-wire it.

I guess I will probably need a chain breaker and a master link too huh?

Thanks for any help!

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
First-generation Cag/Daytona (MT-A1, half fairing). Same frame I got on that bike. <--

Nick, you are correct - #25 chain. Pinion on the first-generation bikes was a 6th, newer bikes are coming with 7th pinions. All are still running the 68th sprocket on the rear wheel.

Fair warning: if the chain ever breaks on a 3rd bearing clutch housing, the whole bearing is gonna get trashed. EPR already found that out the hard way ...

You don't really need a master link if you have a chainbreaker - you can just push the pins out on any link, re-size the chain, and then push them back in. Sometimes the master links pop off. No chain rollers needed on this bike, and the tensioners are on the rear axle. A chain guard, however, is always a good thing - not easy riding when the chain is sawing a hole in your shoe!

If the switch on the gas tank is a keyswitch, don't bother rewiring it. They're quite literally a pain in the butt, and only act as a secondary killswitch. The killswitch on the handlebars is the only one you need.

As for the footpegs, the standard ones that come with the bike are pretty cheesy, and break easily. You might want to upgrade to some fatty pegs or even some meathooks if you plan on racing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome! Thanks for the info.

I'll probably go with the 7 tooth pinion. Seems like that would be a little better with their weight and for the stop and go riding they'll be doing.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Broke in? Should that be one word or two ....? :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HA! Funny Funny!!

Ordered my stuff yesterday. Can't wait to take it back from "brokin" to Broke-In!

The bell housing came with a 6 tooth pinion, got a 68 tooth rear sprocket, chain and breaker, the upgraded round alum. foot pegs, kill switch and a new gas tank. (I needed a new gas cap and that got me over $99 for free shipping.)

Thanks for all the help!!
I'll post some more pics when we get it back together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts