Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
my cags exhaust weld broke, as i rewelded it, although it just broke off again.
now i am looking for a decent exhaust for a descent price,
looking to spend around 50 bucks,
any suggestions

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
It sounds to me like maybe, the exhaust is not bent correctly, does it bolt up really easy, as in lines up and everything like that?

maybe a small bend could help take some of the stress off the pipe?

if not, try to post a picture so maybe we could spot some other type of problem...

Good luck! :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
PB Parts has a nice Fatty Exhaust w/ grooved gas tank to clear it for $69, they have a decent chrome under exhaust for $39, have 2 of them or a $69 SS ProJet exhaust. I got a twin tip and big muffler exhaust in Canada on ebay for less than $20.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Okay, so I'm understanding that it's the weld for the mount on the back of the pipe, where it attaches to the frame? is that the one? If so, what I do is mount up the exhaust to the engine, see how far off the mounting is between the tail end of the pipe and the frame mount, then fab up a simple extension bracket between the two. One of my bikes has the exhaust pipe a full inch away from the mounting bracket on the frame - I used a cheap wrench from IKEA bent 90* on either end to bridge the gap.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
If your pipe mount keeps breaking it could be from a weak engine mount plate.....

The vibrations from the engine will do it everytime....Doubling up the plate on the bottom or mounting the engine with large fender washers to get a more solid mounting will help..

Adding a rubber isolator mount between the muffler hanger bracket and the frame will also help.........

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
I put bonded washers between EVERY mounting point on engine and exhaust to the frame. Helps kill vibration a lot, and doesn't rattle the fillings out of my teeth anymore ...

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Ah, so it broke in front of the belly? Okay, that makes more sense. Shouldn't be too hard to weld it back up again. Try doing the vibration mod, too - it'll help lessen the engine vibrations that cracked the pipe in the first place. Otherwise, those pipes that EPR posted up are decent ones for your bike.

And technically, there are several welds on the pipe: on either end of the belly (header and peashooter), the stock muffler endcap, and the exhaust port plate.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
You should do the exhuast mod. If you or anyone you know welds its easy to do and makes alot of power. Its easy enough a trained chimp can do it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright ill look into welding the old one, again.
and posibly modifying it,
when u guys mean modify u mean shortening the pipe and making a bigger belly correct?

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
I personally dont do that mod. The way I see it. That would leave room for movement. Its a two stroke its going to vibrate!

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Check in the air-cooled mods section for the hardware shopping list. it gives a listing of all the bolts you need to replace the bad ones on a stock Cag. It also includes the extra-long bolts you need to do the vibration reduction mod, which is basically sandwiching the frame between bonded washers, two per bolt. You would need new bolts for the bottom engine mount (4 6mmx20's), new bolts for the top engine mount (two 5mmx12's, 1 6mmx20), and one for the rear exhaust mount (1 6mmx20). On each of those bolts, you need two washers - one on either side of the frame - to isolate the vibrations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts