Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's Cag just started doing this. It starts and idles fine at 1/2 choke and even if warm when you go to no choke it will die. At half choke if you throttle and try and ride it just loads up and dies again. It will sit there and idle all day at half choke - will never die.

We have cleaned out the tank and the lines. Also swapped spark plugs. I noticed on the plug coming out of it that there was no oil build up at all.

Any body got any ideas on anything else we can check or do we just need to replace the carb?

Thanks

Russ

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
You need to clean the carburetor. You should do the petcock,and fuel delivery system mods while youre at it. All together they make your bike more reliable. They're very easy to do also.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
The main jet is .025" it only take a little more than spit to clog it, or your petcock rubber is blocking the passage way, another problem we have.
Also check all your bolts, carb, manifold etc. The chinese black gas lines can cause problems, get some 1/4" clear gas line & use that and a VW gas filter, it will fit the tank and shutoff valve so tight you don't need clamps. you can add a small engine shutoff valve, and gut the white knob area, fill it with JB Weld, drill it out, put the filter between the tank & shutoff and the new shut off right above the OEM inlet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have the carb off - took the tank off of the bottom of it and it had a small amount of debris/grime in it. Cleaned that out. I have not taken anything else apart on the carb. Where is the main jet? Is there some type of carb cleaner I should use?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
The main jet is .025" it only take a little more than spit to clog it, or your petcock rubber is blocking the passage way, another problem we have.

What would that be for us "newbies" EPR, my math says .63 (.63mm) :):thumbsup:

Yeah, I know a little about Carburetors too, and O.K. I can actually do math, but I hate it!

ps

Motorcycle carb cleaner is a good idea, or like another member suggested some thin wire to poke through the jet.

With the bottom (bowl) of the carburetor removed, you should notice the brass colored jet screwed (Flat-head) into the bottom of the Carburetor, usually it's surrounded by the "Float"

·
Registered
244 Posts
We have the carb off - took the tank off of the bottom of it and it had a small amount of debris/grime in it. Cleaned that out. I have not taken anything else apart on the carb. Where is the main jet? Is there some type of carb cleaner I should use?
the main jet is the brass piece that sits down in the bowl, you can unscrew the whole piece and use either a thin piece of wire or shoot some cleaner up in it... make sure to clean it well cause it does not take much to clog these little guys..

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
the main jet is the brass piece that sits down in the bowl, you can unscrew the whole piece and use either a thin piece of wire or shoot some cleaner up in it... make sure to clean it well cause it does not take much to clog these little guys..
Perfect! I completely agree!

Do you work on lots of carburetors Germanlook? I can turn the screws on a few of them...

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Heres some mods you can do to make the bike more reliable and also to enhance fuel flow to the carb...........

1/4' fuellines/fuelfilter upgrade

petcock mod

check float height setting and reset float if necessary

drill out fueltank output hole

reed inspection and possibly replace

possible airleak at manifold;-check for cracks or bad gasket

new ngk sparkplug BM6A gapped to .030"

checking the airgap if the coil to magneto and de-rust if its rusty.....gap setting is .020"

·
Registered
244 Posts
Perfect! I completely agree!

Do you work on lots of carburetors Germanlook? I can turn the screws on a few of them...
haha not really, Ive just torn these little guys apart more times than I can remember.. they are very picky little carbs.. running a air filter seems to help the longevity of them as far as staying clean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts