Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Before black Monday there was a thread with details and quite a few pictures of how to fit a steering damper to a Cag.

Can some one repost this info and any pictures they have.

Thanks

Richard

·
Registered
474 Posts
have you ever had your bikes front end start wobbling? it is like a shock for your steering system, so it wont wobble.

·
Registered
127 Posts
hey got it off of a gsxr 600 maybee a 1000 i dunno
if youd like one try searching ebay but i really dont think a cag needs one of these heres what id do put some rubber padding on the frame where the bars come in.
its just an idea

·
Registered
474 Posts
where would you put the rubber pad at? you dotn mean a rubber pad where the bars could come into contact with the frame right? cuz thats not at all what the dampner is for? or do you mean put it somewhere where they pivot that could cause ALOT of friction? cuz that I see possibly doing somewhat what the dampner does.

·
Registered
127 Posts
or do you mean put it somewhere where they pivot that could cause ALOT of friction? cuz that I see possibly doing somewhat what the dampner does.

yea its just an idea but it could work

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed one on mine (I own the red Cag in the pics). Its a non-adjustable, stocker off of a GSX-R from ebay. Went to a machine/weld shop and got it installed. It helps BIG time. Especially when cornering -- you can take them tighter and faster. Super stable and absolutely no headshake.

Total cost: $50 ($25 for weld/$25 for damper)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im sorry, not to knock anyone, but that has to be the biggest waste of money mods anyone can do on their bike. I paid $399 for my damper on my R1 after I got a tankslapper and almost crashed, it did a great job eliminated head shake at speeds above 70mph. Headshake/wobble occurs as a result of the forks compensating for changes in the road surface, i.e. bumps/obstructions, since the CAG has no suspension whatsoever, this is not a factor. But hey if your CAG is that fast that you need it, my hat is off to you!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, sounds like a good mod to me if you keep it cheap.

Hmmm, buy new damper for my GSXR...put stock damper on the CaG...

·
Registered
62 Posts
ScootyPuff_Jr. said:
Im sorry, not to knock anyone, but that has to be the biggest waste of money mods anyone can do on their bike. I paid $399 for my damper on my R1 after I got a tankslapper and almost crashed, it did a great job eliminated head shake at speeds above 70mph. Headshake/wobble occurs as a result of the forks compensating for changes in the road surface, i.e. bumps/obstructions, since the CAG has no suspension whatsoever, this is not a factor. But hey if your CAG is that fast that you need it, my hat is off to you!
It's not exactly the same though. The Cag is way smaller with much smaller wheel dimensions and less resistance when steering. The Cag is twitchier out of the box than a full size bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
(RedBlur) said:
I installed one on mine (I own the red Cag in the pics). Its a non-adjustable, stocker off of a GSX-R from ebay. Went to a machine/weld shop and got it installed. It helps BIG time. Especially when cornering -- you can take them tighter and faster. Super stable and absolutely no headshake.

Total cost: $50 ($25 for weld/$25 for damper)
do you have any more pictures of the work you did.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Dampers are awesome. I'm looking into getting one for my bike as well. Well their purpose has been explained already it seems so i'll shut up. :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
ScootyPuff_Jr. said:
it doesnt have suspension but its the same thing, a bar from the side of the wheel up to the triple tree or however youd explain it. and its much smaller, and yes they do wobble sometimes when only going -30MPH

·
Registered
29 Posts
ScootyPuff_Jr. said:
Headshake/wobble occurs as a result of the forks compensating for changes in the road surface, i.e. bumps/obstructions, since the CAG has no suspension whatsoever, this is not a factor.
Like they said, pocket bikes are much more responsive than the bigger brothers. Because of the lack of suspension, everything gets transferred to the frame/forks/etc etc. Even @ 30mph, it gets very loose and squirrely, esp coming in/out of a corner.

Not a bad idea, I'll have to dig through my old parts bin for a damper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
heres my setup.. i paid $25 for the damper(ebay), and $1.27 for the hardware (i still need to buy 10wt damper oil ~ $4)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts