Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a cagllari pb and cant get it to stay running long enough to make it around my block which is a mile exactly but it makes it about a quarter of the way than bogs and if i dont get off the gas it will die. i already took off the carb and i cant see where there is supposed to be a clip on the needle that i can move? the spark plug looks a little grey. the bike idles just fine and takes off good to but as soon as top speed is approaching it bogs a little than bogs a lot. i changed the fuel filter and am about to go to autozone for some clear fuel lines but if that doesnt work i heard you can drill the jets bigger??? HELP PLEASE!!!! :eek:

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Dont drill the jets. The clip on the needle is only for low-mid range. Take the carb apart and clean it really good with carb cleaner. Chances are there is a piece of something in the petcock or fuel inlet. A good cleaning posibly the petcock mod.,and gas cap vent mod. You sould be good to go. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Sounds like a reed sealing issue.............Pull the plug and post what color it is.....

Id definately do the mods that JtC stated too.....Theyre the best basic hop-up mods you can do..........

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Cam2, Just had a reed problem on Sam's Red Head eng on the stand. I put F/G reeds in and I thought the Walbro was bad. The bolts were not over tight. I put new CF reeds and a new 14/14 Dell carb on and it runs good now.
I had to prime it took get it to start, it would idle but if you rev it a couple of times it shuts off, and you can start it back up, rev it up it stalls, sounds alot like your engine.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
It happens alot when breaking -in an engine with alot of oil mixed with the gas......Because of the velocity of the engine coupled to the weight of the oil the reeds never really had a chance Id say................Good to hear you got the problem nailed down......Keep up the good work.......

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Cam2, Just had a reed problem on Sam's Red Head eng on the stand.
That's it Sam, you are FIRED!!!!! just kidding EPR "got his hands" on it! warranty VOIDED! :p:thumbsup:

Get one of these EPR! <----Picture attached.

Or just duct tape a spring inside one of yours, it's close enough right? :p

NaSa. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
You may also be experiencing a phenomenon called top end reed flutter. The reeds act as a one-way valve, opening to introduce the fuel/air mixture into the carburetor, then quickly snapping shut during the compression/exhaust stroke. During top end reed flutter, what's happening is this: When you're riding WOT (Wide Open Throttle), the reeds are flapping back and forth so fast that they can't make a good seal on the cylinder, thus resulting in loss of compression and of power. Loss of compression means the bike starts chugging, eventually quitting on you, but will start back up okay after a moment or two. The usual solution is to purchase new stiffer reeds.

·
Trained Chimp
364 Posts
Glad to hear you figured it out. I would do the mods I mentioned earlier. It will solve alot of problems. It also makes them more reliable. The button seal in the petcock breaks down fairly easy.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Way to Go, its always something stupid. Ride it like you Stole it, like alot of people here say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts