Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so im new here would like to say hi everyone!

now for my problem. i was given this pocket bike by a friend and i thought hey it would be a cool project. he hasnt been able to start it for years and has been sitting just as long.

well, i charged the battery, and tried to start it that way. with some starting fluid it would start up and run for a sec so i thought it would work with some gas.

i put some properly mixed fuel in the tank but nothing...

it seems the only way it would start is with starting fluid. but then out of no where, last night i gave it one try with out starting fluid and it started right up every single time but then stall out and die. when i would give it a little gas it would also die but it would at least stay on for a good minute.

so i took the carb out and cleaned it and now, like before, it wont start up without starting fluid.

can anyone help me out? i would love to get this thing up and running and ride it. thanks for any input!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Have you tried changing the sparkplug?

Are you sure you have proper fuel flow?

Did you reset the float?

Like others who came to this forum they find out how troublesome ethanol is when they realize how extensive it is to thoroughly clean a carb after they thought they just did..............

Pics of the type of bike you have would be good so we can give proper advice on the fix.........

If its a 4 stroke engine model the sparkplug is NGK C7HSA gapped to .023-.027"

If its 2 stroke zenoah its NGK BPM6A gapped to .030"

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Thats a Zenoah engine WYK 15mm walbro rep pumper carb.

You most likely have the carb gaskets or fuellines on wrong;-maybe a crack in the intake...............Black line goes on the larger ribbed nipple and the clear line the thinner smooth nipple or the carb/intake gaskets blocking the pumper port in the intake between the carb and intake or intake and head and the internal pump isnt pumping..........Check to make sure the small tiny purgeport lines up 100% and is free and clear..............

If fuellines and carb/intake gaskets are on correctly and not pinched then you may have a lowspeed needle blockage.....remove the lowspeed needle and the highspeed needle............

Take carb cleaner with a straw attachment and stick straw into hsn needle hole and while holding the throttle wide open spray 2-3 3-5 second bursts into carb.............

clean old epoxy off of the lowspeed needle apply 1-2 hour set on the threads and set to 1 3/4 turns out....

install highspeed needle onto carb side set to 1 1/2 turns out

pump primer bulb 8-10 times,,,set choke and pull

I would also inspect flywheel and pickup coil for rust and clean up then regap to .020".......................Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you might not be getting fuel. Id check out the spark and the coil aswell though.
where and how would i check the coil? im completely new to 2 stroke engines. im also thinking fuel isnt getting to the engine now because the bike never actually burns the fuel only the start up fluid. once that burns up the bike dies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright i got it to run and actually let me ride it. it dies after i get off the gas but at least it runs for a while now. none of the electronics work so that might be why it wont stay on after i get off the gas. no power to the regulator (idk if these even have them)

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
try raising the idle screw.......the power of those generators arent supposed to be self sustaining without the aid of a properly working battery..the engine works off a good magnetic pulse from the magneto/flywheel converted to spark by the pickup coil like a weedeater or lawnmower not the generator.......A rusty flywheel will be the major player in proper spark hinderance aswell as a faulty sparkplug/failing coil/improperly grounded coil.......If the battery is good,,,look for a bad ground and look into a possible faulty rectifier and blown fuse................

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try raising the idle screw.......the power of those generators arent supposed to be self sustaining without the aid of a properly working battery..the engine works off a good magnetic pulse from the magneto/flywheel converted to spark by the pickup coil like a weedeater or lawnmower not the generator.......A rusty flywheel will be the major player in proper spark hinderance aswell as a faulty sparkplug/failing coil/improperly grounded coil.......If the battery is good,,,look for a bad ground and look into a possible faulty rectifier and blown fuse................
alright. those will be the next things i check. at the moment it runs so gives me a bit of optimism. ill be taking the whole thing apart possibly tomorrow and start trying to make it look like a new bike. this little project has turned out to be really fun.

ill keep you guys posted with whats going on.

thanks for all the helpful advice guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts