Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I just got a good deal on 6 new toys. One is a 70cc Zei ( Chinese quad ). Believe it is a division of Zstar which makes atv's. I tried a borrowed battery the size of which fits the quad as well as a slightly bigger one. The batteries were fairly well charged up & cleaned connections. Relay only buzzes'. Tried a car battery with starter on & off the bench & it works good & got engine to start. Should I buy a new small sized battery or ? I have room in the chassis to make & install a larger battery box. It is an auto with no pull or kicker. Engine turns quite freely by hand at clutch but starter does seem kinda tight to turn. What do you suggest ?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Hi, I just got a good deal on 6 new toys. One is a 70cc Zei ( Chinese quad ). Believe it is a division of Zstar which makes atv's. I tried a borrowed battery the size of which fits the quad as well as a slightly bigger one. Relay only buzzes'. Tried a car battery on & off the bench & it works good & got engine to start. Should I buy a new small sized battery or ? I have room in the chassis to make & install a larger battery box. It is an auto with no pull or kicker. Engine turns quite freely by hand at clutch but starter does seem kinda tight to turn. What do you suggest ?
If you have a Multimeter (Volt-Meter) you can charge the battery, then do a voltage drop test (while cranking the battery) you could also check the power and ground connections for higher than normal Resistance using the same Multimeter.

Just put the test leads on the positive (Red) and Negative (Black) right at the battery, then have somebody try to start it while you watch the volt meter for the voltage to drop, it should start at around 12.6 and should not drop below 9.6 volt during "Cranking"

Nick. :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick. I'll try that after Mini Me goes to bed. I actually have a Caterpiller battery to try to test - just watching the starter isn't getting overheated. Was concerned at 1st, but that starter & relay are pretty tough.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Thanks Nick. I'll try that after Mini Me goes to bed. I actually have a Caterpiller battery to try to test - just watching the starter isn't getting overheated. Was concerned at 1st, but that starter & relay are pretty tough.
Sounds like a faulty ground somewhere........Reground all the grounding points and add a grounding strap from the battery negative lead to the engine case screw direct and remove the starter screws and make sure its properly grounded .....Also try jumping the starter direct to the single positive lead on the starter and ground the other power grounding lead to the exhaust............If the starter motor spins then its a ground or faulty starter button that wont hold contact.A continuity test could analyze that............If you get the fourth of July of sparks from the starter test then the starters fried.................

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Mini Me is snoozin' & the quad is ready for cruisin'. Well with an oversized phat battery anyway. Starts like a dream pretty much with that mining truck battery. Initial battery starting voltage is 12.6vdc & during cranking it only drops to 12.3vdc. I have a - lead from the batt -, to the frame & a - from battery direct to starter. + is from battery to relay, relay to + of starter. No sparks, just Joy. Tried bigger battery from 110cc Katerra but relay buzzes. Has 12.5 vdc but maybe not enough current ? I will charge a bit more, test & repost Wed - clean more gnds also. Cheers.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
So Mini Me is snoozin' & the quad is ready for cruisin'. Well with an oversized phat battery anyway. Starts like a dream pretty much with that mining truck battery. Initial battery starting voltage is 12.6vdc & during cranking it only drops to 12.3vdc. I have a - lead from the batt -, to the frame & a - from battery direct to starter. + is from battery to relay, relay to + of starter. No sparks, just Joy. Tried bigger battery from 110cc Katerra but relay buzzes. Has 12.5 vdc but maybe not enough current ? I will charge a bit more, test & repost Wed - clean more gnds also. Cheers.
The next test I personally would do is to check battery voltage all the way
down at the Starter, it's nice and high at the battery,
so now just check from the positive of the battery to the ground of the starter, then switch it, and check from the negative of the battery to the positive of the starter, if one looks lower than the other, cut the power and switch over to OHM's (resistance) and check for a higher than normal resistance in the wiring.

It really does seem like 1 of 2 things to me, high resistance in the wiring or the starter, or the engine could simply be hard to turn over.

You could also try "Hot Wiring" the small battery right to the starter with the other battery not connected (to the starter) the ground should be normally closed (always connected) but the positive has to go through the relay, so to skip the relay and any possible bad wiring, just hook straight up, but remember, don't let it crank for too long.

Good job! and I really hope you guys get to have lots of FUN!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So this is what I did -- Cranked & ran engine twice with truck battery to test - all was well. Charged up both small & med. atv batteries well. Hot wired right to starter, with starter Removed - all was good. Hotwired starter direct again, with 2 new wires with starter reinstalled - just some sparks come off of starter + terminal when I touch + wire to it. Engine seems to turn by hand fairly freely. So its a high starter resistance, or battery voltage is up but has low cranking output. How would I test or fix starter from here ? It does come apart .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts