Pocketbike Forum banner

cat eye fs509 and new resistor cap help

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  MathieuOuellette 
#1 ·
im restoring a cat eye fs509 and im completely new to it. i went to pocketbikeparts.com and searched parts for the pocket bike. it showed a ngk LB05F spark plug resistor cover and a ngk BM6A spark plug. so i ordered them both. now i took off the old spark plug cap and was trying to put new one on and it looks like it screws on the wire? also i tried to connect the other end to the spark plug and i can figure out how this is supposed to connect.
plus does this spark plug come pre gapped or do i need to do that and what are the gap measurements if so.
last question lol, i also ordered an HP carburetor (walboro style) and have no idea which side mounts to the engine or which nozzle to connect the fuel line and the other line. and if you know how to tune this carb please help a newbie out lol.
sorry for all the silly questions that i should know the answers to but unfortunately im still learning.
thanks

#5 ·
No one ever said the parts should all work right together.. Its China crap.. Ditch the choke and use a little starter fluid and baby that throttle... lol Unless you can find a way to mod it... A dremel might work...

Do you have the Real Walbro or just a HP Walbro style? lol

#3 · (Edited)
http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Spark_Plug_Cap_NGK_L_Style_p/ngk8051.htm
This the one you have? Yes you have to screw it into your plug wire. I recommend you replace the plug wire for a bigger diameter automotive wire. If you look at your coil the wire screws in there too.

The plug cap slides over the treaded part of the plug just like the rubber china ones, you have to push it a bit more though.

I have them on all 3 of my cag engines with a iridium NGK plug.

#4 ·
Confusing little write up there... But sounds like your spark plug is missing the little prong that screws onto the tip so the spark plug sticks in the boot?! If so try to unscrew the tip off the old plug.. They all screw off... Spark plug resitor cover?! Just the plug is needed...

The gap should be .030-.035

Match other pics of your carb to make sure its on right.. lol.. The top/Bigger inlet should be the fuel In and the lower /smaller one is return?! Bubble up if its hp?!

You should show a pic of your carb.. Good luck!

#6 ·
thanks a lot for the reply man and sorry for the confusing post. my hands were covered in grease and my keyboard is white lol. i photoshoped a pic to make it easier than posting a bunch of pics. the carb is a cheap china made one. I want to upgrade the engine so im cool with cheapo on this one. plus this is only the first go around. i just want to ride it lol.

#10 ·
Further note.. My friend went a step further than grinding down the red plastic for clearance and took out that whole choke set up out of the carb (as it restricts flow like mad) he then Jb welded in the holes and got the slider choke adapter for in between that carb and V-stack... Much more efficent but some work and a few bucks.... lol

#11 ·
Thanks again. This forum is great I would like to add. Ill play around with it tomorrow. I have to call pbp tomorrow because the left brake handle they sent me was cracked. I usually have pretty good luck when ordering from there. I need to order a pipe and I'm gonna get the 3 gauge cluster for speedometer. Once I get it all put together I will get to ride a pocket bike lol.
You wouldn't happen to know where I could look to find out how to tune this carb would you.

#13 ·
thanks for that. That helps out a lot. Our die cast machines here use spark plugs to fire in the furnace so i was able to get a high heat spark plug wire. im looking at buying a boost bottle kit but it looks like it comes with the plastic/nylon manifold. where do i get the aluminum ones. i have been looking online for good parts to buy and all i really see is this cheap Chinese stuff. i didn't see one site that offered the actual walbro cards let alone anything else of professional quality.
im not familiar with engine work at all so youtube is my friend lol but can i buy an entire engine to go on this cat eye. i see these sweet looking engines and dont know where to get them.

#15 ·
Well I got the beast put back together but I did notice the choke is on the inside. This makes me question my assembly lol. The opening on the cat eye body was for the stock carb but now this carbs choke is on opposite side so there is no real way to grab it. Does this seem right lol?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.