Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When upgrading the cdi do you also need to replace the stock regulator to a more advanced on as well?

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
agreed, and i have one
the regulator just evens the power for the lights, since the engine production of power is irregular
there are some shore nuff cdi's out there but not the blue 30 dollar kind
Ignitions / EFI

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. yeah i just got the hit man big block. Glad i went with my first mind and not order that cheap 30 dollar blue one. i know i will not get big performance gain i jsut want to knock out some of the lil stuff before getting 20mm muni card + intake and the performance exhaust.

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
face palm| i have the blue big block cdi, its not any better and ive raced with both

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i received 2 hit man big blocks and neither one worked. When i plug the stock CDI in the bike starts up with no problem. It seems like the CDI isn't getting power. The lil green light indicator doesn't come on when i turn the ignition. I called PBU to see if it could require me to upgrade the regulator but they said i shouldn't have too. Sent them both back for them to test out for me. Not sure what the issue could be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just installed a blue racing cdi. Start up took 4 tries instead of one with the stock cdi but once warm small throttle response improvement and definetely higher revs. Worth $15????maybe.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Nice NewJackSilly! Glad to hear it. I just get sad when people believe one little cdi box (spark ignition timing) would possibly make an engine double it's RPM's, I mean, that is pretty Silly!

But the gains you listed sound realistic, and $15 is pretty cheap, an HP air-filter sometimes costs that much, and would probably show even less of a performance gain, unless the OEM setup was a complete joke to start with.

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
they post that it 'unlocks' the limiter cuz the stock honda 50 was cdi rpm limited, so these are sold as such, the only thing is the stock cdi isnt limited either at least at 10k which is about where you wanna stop at usually
the pbu one is on the race bike and the stock is on the street, only reason is the blue one is finned for cooling which is important at 10k

·
Registered
316 Posts
they post that it 'unlocks' the limiter cuz the stock honda 50 was cdi rpm limited, so these are sold as such, the only thing is the stock cdi isnt limited either at least at 10k which is about where you wanna stop at usually
the pbu one is on the race bike and the stock is on the street, only reason is the blue one is finned for cooling which is important at 10k

Blitz did you really spend $20 or so EXTRA for that hitman sticker? :eek:

Hugh
SDscooters

1 - 12 of 12 Posts